1 squirt better than 2 squirts and WUE issue

This is a forum for discussing the development and testing of alpha MS2/Extra code. Documentation
(Runs on MS2 and Microsquirt)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Keithg
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Keithg »

Ken et al,

We have talked about this. Engine Saab 2L, 16V, 90mm x 78 mm stroke, Bosch 431 injectors (red top, HiZ, 334 cc?), Mitsu TE05 turbo, iron block, AL head 20070905 version of MS2/E.

I get smooth as silk idle with 1 squirt simultaneous. I have not yet modified my harness for alternating, so all I can test is simultaneous. With 2 simultaneous, I *should* be able to get decent PW control at idle with MS2/E, but I get wavering AFR and a noticeably lumpy idle. I attach the MSQ as well as 2 logs. The first log is just to show the warmup and how it idles nicely, but goes rich when running. It was n the drive home, but there are times I was not idling.... I just love Chicago traffic. The second is with 2 squirts to show the difference to 1 squirt and the wavering idle speed as wella s teh wavering AFR. I just do not get why 2 squirts is worse. Is there something I can try?

KeithG

http://ys3al35l.googlepages.com/ms2_11_eae3.msq
http://ys3al35l.googlepages.com/datalog200710171908.xls
http://ys3al35l.googlepages.com/datalog200710171920.xls
UnaClocker
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by UnaClocker »

Injector opening time and voltage correction?
Brian
'84 Dodge Rampage
Keithg
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Keithg »

Opening time is pretty close as average AFR remains pretty close to the same with 2 squirts vs 1.

Battery correction... I played with it and saw no change. I am at 0.1 now and have tried 0.05 and 1.5 and it appeared to be no change. Does this require a power cycle to verify? With the 2 vs 1, I am thinking more of a mechanical issue than electronic, but am asking for things to look at.

As for the WUE issue, I am wondering if this is just my car/engine or what. I was teh same thing with MS1/E.

KeithG

On 10/17/07, UnaClocker wrote:
Injector opening time and voltage correction?

muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

This is why I said your engine is weird. I've never seen an engine that likes 1 squirt simultaneous better than 2. I'd think that throttle response would suck with that setting too, but you seem to have better response with that setting.

I think I remember you saying that with 2 squirts, the AFR wavers even with EAE off so there's definitely something odd going on with your engine that doesn't happen to most people.

Ken
M52 POWER!
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by M52 POWER! »

I think your injector opening time is off!
KaPower
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by KaPower »

My engine also varies AFR at idle. I've tested injector opening time, and played with batt volt correction that helped a bit, but increaaing bat corr lag time helped out the most. My AFR is very good at 1 squirt simo, but 2 simo bumps my injector PW to a very low value, which ms likes to chnage alot, I think if it could just hold my PW to a constant number at idle things would be much better.

BTW... I have 740cc injectors on a 2.4 liter 4cyl.
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

The MAP sampling stuff should've helped you a lot. You could also use the EAE lag compensation feature to help give you good response but run less squirts at other times.

With injectors that large on that size engine, I suppose I'm not too surprised that it wants to fluctuate a bit.

However, I've found that messing with timing can help too... like if it's running too strong, sometimes that'll cause fluctuations that can be reduced by reducing the timing a bit.

I did that on the corolla and ended up with an idle pulse-width that doesn't move, even with EAE enabled.

Ken