MegaTune menu rearrangement

This is a forum for discussing the development and testing of alpha MS2/Extra code. Documentation
(Runs on MS2 and Microsquirt)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

msoultan
Super MS/Extra'er

MegaTune menu rearrangement

Post by msoultan »

Is is possible we can do some rearranging of the MT menus for ms2extra. I think it would be much more intuitive if we had a similar setup to the MSII layout with fuel, spark, tables, etc. grouped in their own pull-down menu. Right now it's really hard to find stuff as it seems like there's no logical order besides the whole beginner/advanced thing.

Plus, I think the whole advanced/beginner thing is somewhat pointless as you end up having to check every setting anyways to make sure that something that would be considered advanced isn't screwing you up.

I understand that you guys are trying to make it a bit easier, but I think we also need to recognize that people that are using the extra code are using it because they want advanced features anyways.

Just a thought..

Thanks,
Mike
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

We already had a plan to try to clean up the interface a bit, and group things a bit more logically before 2.0 is released.

We still plan on doing that, although we aren't going to go back to the "ms2 standard" way of doing it. We're just going to fix the way we did it.

Ken
msoultan
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by msoultan »

muythaibxr wrote:We already had a plan to try to clean up the interface a bit, and group things a bit more logically before 2.0 is released.

We still plan on doing that, although we aren't going to go back to the "ms2 standard" way of doing it. We're just going to fix the way we did it.

Ken
I don't think you should copy what they're doing, but I do think that breaking things up into logical groupings would be very helpful and allow for faster navigation. I definitely think you should do away with the skill level thing. It's especially annoying when you don't have the MS hooked up and can't access certain menus.

Thanks,
Mike
wes kiser
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by wes kiser »

I am of the opinion it already is more user friendly. I guess different people think differently.

The only major thing I would change is the location of the advanced igntion settings.
86 Rx-7, swapped to 2.3 ford turbo (BW EFR 6758), ms3/ms3x sequential fuel /waste spark, ls2 coils
88 Tbird 2.3t, Microsquirt Module (PIMP), TFI ignition
msoultan
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by msoultan »

Yeah.. that's the tough part.. what works for one, doesn't necessarily work for another.. oh well :)
newtyres1
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by newtyres1 »

I was of the understanding that if you used a lower skill level you wouldn't have to check the upper skill level settings, the settings there would be automatically taken care of to avoid any nasty surprises, which is a great benefit. Has something changed?

Ian.
msoultan
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by msoultan »

newtyres1 wrote:I was of the understanding that if you used a lower skill level you wouldn't have to check the upper skill level settings, the settings there would be automatically taken care of to avoid any nasty surprises, which is a great benefit. Has something changed?

Ian.
I'm sure that's the case, but remember, people don't stay as beginners long, especially because this is an advanced project. Plus, you don't see beginner/advanced stuff in many types of software because usually people don't like to feel like beginners and usually [want to] progress to the intermediate/advanced phase pretty quickly. (this is taken straight from an interface design book).

I also think that grouping stuff by beginner/advanced is not particularly intuitive - it's actually much more complicated and daunting for the beginner, which is counter-productive towards the means of making things easier. It's much easier to find stuff when it's grouped by what it does, much like how they did it in the MSII menus. Fuel, spark, tables, etc. You're not guessing that some table might be in Basic, startup, advanced, which has nothing to do with the purpose of categorizing that item.

Mike
newtyres1
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: MegaTune menu rearrangement

Post by newtyres1 »

msoultan wrote:I understand that you guys are trying to make it a bit easier, but I think we also need to recognize that people that are using the extra code are using it because they want advanced features anyways.
It's not quite that simple, the Extra code has always been a bit more hands on, it has a different feel, more at a practical level, less theoretical, more intuitive, plus it's always striving to test new implementations of old or new ideas, besides having the advanced features. So people with minimal requirements still choose to use Extra.

FWIW, and never too late, maybe instead of using the terms beginner/intermediate/advanced try naturally aspirated/boosted/race only or similar. With minimal accessory functions or all functions, or something similar. Trawling through heaps of unnecessary windows to make sure they are all set correctly whether greyed out or not is a trap for new users on a simple fuel-only setup for example, whether it makes 80hp or 800hp. But I'm definitely not complaining, happy camper here 8) :)

Ian.