MS2/Extra 2.0 beta 15 (20071104)

This is a forum for discussing the development and testing of alpha MS2/Extra code. Documentation
(Runs on MS2 and Microsquirt)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

6040solder
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 6040solder »

Was the old way more granular?

If you can only time to the ignition triggers then you can only control which cylinders intake cycle the injection is close to, not how close, right?
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Re: MS2/Extra 2.0 beta 15 (20071104)

Post by muythaibxr »

Keithg wrote:So, with 4 cyl COP, the valid values are 1,2,3,4 and for 4 cyl wasted spark, the valid entries are 1,2?
Yes, that is correct.

Ken
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

6040solder wrote:Was the old way more granular?

If you can only time to the ignition triggers then you can only control which cylinders intake cycle the injection is close to, not how close, right?
The old way worked the same... you could set any tooth you want, but only the "trigger" teeth would work.

Ken
Keithg
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Keithg »

Tried it again this eve and it seems to be fine. I did not power cycle it previously and that may have been why it was rich.

Regardless, it is nowhere as smooth at idle as with 1 squirt simultaneous, so I am back at 1 squirt simultaneous until I can wire the second back and try alternating.

KeithG
muythaibxr wrote:It should work no matter what.

It might be squirting more often than it should, so I'll verify one way or the other.

I only tested with 4 squirts alternating, and that looked good.

Ken
EvilTwin
MS/Extra Newbie

Can't load new firmware

Post by EvilTwin »

I can't load the new firmware, 1.0.2 loads fine, but the latest Beta 2.0 always seizes at 40% with one of two error messages:

could not read status code: 0x00 0x00

or

stack pointer out of range: e=0XE3

the MS is getting adequate power, as i said final release 1.0.2 loads and runs fine

I'm using MB v3.0 with a secondary VR circuit and 4 cyl COP ignition circuit.

Thanks for any advice.

James
6040solder
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 6040solder »

It sounds like you aren't using the correct ms2 downloader.

You should use the one that comes with the new firmware.

Because of the size of the new firmware, the original downloader is not capable of doing the job.
EvilTwin
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by EvilTwin »

I used MS Downloader 2.00, I will install the latest copy and try again today, thanks.
hassmaschine
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by hassmaschine »

EvilTwin wrote:I used MS Downloader 2.00, I will install the latest copy and try again today, thanks.
that probably won't work, you need to use the batch file that comes with the extra firmware. I think this is why people have problems loading code...
UnaClocker
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by UnaClocker »

I wonder if that MS Downloader program could be updated to work with our code? Doesn't much matter, that batch file is pretty simple to run.. You just HAVE to, for now.
Brian
'84 Dodge Rampage
EvilTwin
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by EvilTwin »

hassmaschine wrote:
EvilTwin wrote:I used MS Downloader 2.00, I will install the latest copy and try again today, thanks.
that probably won't work, you need to use the batch file that comes with the extra firmware. I think this is why people have problems loading code...
Worked like a charm, thanks a million for the quick response.
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

Alright, I found and fixed another IAC bug.

A note on IAC. Since the IAC motor is so slow, I'm not sure that it's going to be fast enough to cope with sudden added loads, such as AC. We'll almost HAVE to add an input for the AC button if this is going to work for those people.

James is working on some ignition changes, so after he's done with that, we'll be doing another beta.

Ken
UnaClocker
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by UnaClocker »

Didn't someone once say that if we were to remove the IAC control chip, we'd gain 3 outputs? I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin.. ;) I'll continue beta testing the IAC control for you guys, but I did recently pick up a PWM idle valve. Just gotta take my MS back apart and add the PWM components to it.
Brian
'84 Dodge Rampage
Asteris
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Asteris »

muythaibxr wrote:Alright, I found and fixed another IAC bug.

A note on IAC. Since the IAC motor is so slow, I'm not sure that it's going to be fast enough to cope with sudden added loads, such as AC. We'll almost HAVE to add an input for the AC button if this is going to work for those people.

Ken
My stock ECU has two pins dedicated for the A/C. One is the input from the A/C button and the other is the output to the A/C clutch.

When the A/C button is pressed, idle is raised 100-150rpm (around 1000 that is), so the compressor works more efficiently. It also helps the engine to avoid stalling when getting off in first gear.

Now, output to the clutch is normally enabled, unless CLT is too high (engine overload), engine speed over 5500rpm (perhaps to protect the compressor and pulleys from over revving), or TPS higher than 80% (drivers asks for full power). Perhaps you can also add RPM, CLT and TPS as modifiers for this specific output.
UnaClocker
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by UnaClocker »

Except that we don't have spare pins for that kind of stuff. The lag on the IAC control seems like it might make PID tuning a real hassle too. There are other sudden electrical loads too, like radiator fans.
Brian
'84 Dodge Rampage
Asteris
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Asteris »

Yes we have, JS11, D15, Fidle. They are programmable outputs and they might as well be programmed for that kind of stuff. Radiator fan causes voltage drop, this is taken care by battery voltage correction of injector opening times, i think.
spyro
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by spyro »

the reaction time of the iac is too slow
for example when the iac goes from full close (aceleration) it takes a while for it to go to the normal position (idle) so it stalls most of the time
another thing that i notice is that sometimes it goes to full open without any reason
is there any any way for the iac to work faster ? because on powerup the iac goes to full open fast, so i bealive its more code related than hardware related
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

the PID code itself is trying to adjust the position fairly often, every 200 ms.. That's fast enough with proper PID settings on a PWM valve to quickly catch changes in load.

However, with the stepper motor, if IAC_moving is set, it won't try to move the motor again, and if it takes longer than that to move the motor, then the motor won't go to the new position until the next iteration. IAC_moving is set the whole time the motor is moving. I *could* change it for PWM idle so that it only runs the PID code when the motor is done moving along with the every 200 ms thing. I'm not sure that'll help though, but it would probably make it respond faster to quick changes in load.

The full open bug is the one I just said I fixed.

To speed it up, you can set the step time lower. I'm looking at ways to make the motor move faster other than that, but I'm not confident that I can find any. I think the stepper motors are just too slow to keep up with any quick changes in load.

Full idle speed control for those with these motors might require using ignition timing, which I'm pretty sure I'm going to do for 2.5

As far as spare IO is concerned, I don't want to burn an input and output for Idle speed control with AC until I have more outputs to play with.

Ken
Mad Professor
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Mad Professor »

Have we lost the sequential injection test pages? as I can't see it in this beta.

Thanks.
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

They've been replaced with a more simple configuration method.

Ken
mattd860
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by mattd860 »

Does normal Accel enrichment still fully function? I can't seem to get the decel fuel to work. The Decel light never comes on (is it still even there?) and AFR's go pretty rich when quickly releasing the gas even though decel is set at 80%.

The first thing you might be thinking is why am I bothering to ask since I'm using EAE. Well I switched back to normal AE for a couple days just to do a hard comparison between the two options for my own clarity.

Thanks