4g63 "Unipolar" stepper IAC(6 wire stepper)

This is a forum for discussing the development and testing of alpha MS2/Extra code. Documentation
(Runs on MS2 and Microsquirt)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

devojet
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by devojet »

PNP's can be used to switch to ground. Basically BJT transistors operate on current flow. PNP's switch when current is pulled from the base and NPNs switch when current flows into the base. This is a very basic disciption and there is a lot more to it.

Anyway back to the IAC topic, Off hand you could use a TIP125 with a 2.4Kohm resistor. This might be overkill though as the tip125 can handle up to 5A and is a TO220 package device. Any PNP with a high enough current rating can be used. You just need to calculate the resistor size based on the current gain of the transistor or send me a data sheet and I will let you know if it's suitable and what resistor to try.

Cheers

Daniel
arkadi
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by arkadi »

I think just two diodes may work, see attached picture.
What you think? When driver reverses polarity, another half of the winding will be grounded, like in factory setup. No need to disconnect center tap. And you get better torque because of higher current.
Even the diodes are not required, the current won't flow from +12 to +12 until there is a voltage offset.
The rationale behind this is:
- If you open the block diagram of bipolar driver (UDN2116) and unipolar driver (NJM3517) you'll see that unipolar driver is just half of bipolar.
- The two halfs of (unipolar motor) stator winding are wound in the same "place" but in opposite directions. The missing logic for voltage reversal is solved by connecting oppositly positioned taps (but pictured as single center tap) of "half-winding" to the battery permanently. Half of the winding is wasted in unipolar motor.
More on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stepper_motor and its' External links section.
devojet
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by devojet »

You correct that would probably work without the diodes. The reason we were talking about adding transistors was that there were doubts if the IAC chip could drive enough current for some stepper motors.

Cheers

Daniel
26 Chev hotrod with a 1UZFE and MS3x, Flex fuel, GPIO Transmission control and LCDash.
Twin turbo LS3 powered Race boat with MS3pro and GPIO.
MS2 on a 22r in a Hilux (mates car).
MS2extra on a turbo EF Falcon (brothers car).
Toyota Supra 1jz MS2extra, COP.
13B Turbo MS2extra.
arkadi
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by arkadi »

devojet wrote:The reason we were talking about adding transistors was that there were doubts if the IAC chip could drive enough current for some stepper motors.
By no means I'm an electrical engineer, but:
- I believe you should first try with "center" tap connected. This will not half your magnetic field, because its strength depends on the current, not how much you invest in winding wires.
- UDN 2916 has PWM for over-current protection and can sustain 750mA which is pretty much enough for an IAC stepper.
- Adding transistor can actually harm because the driver can't sense the output and because of non-linear natures of motors (inductivity) and fast polarity reversal the actual current can be more than acceptable.
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

arkadi wrote:
devojet wrote:The reason we were talking about adding transistors was that there were doubts if the IAC chip could drive enough current for some stepper motors.
By no means I'm an electrical engineer, but:
- I believe you should first try with "center" tap connected. This will not half your magnetic field, because its strength depends on the current, not how much you invest in winding wires.
- UDN 2916 has PWM for over-current protection and can sustain 750mA which is pretty much enough for an IAC stepper.
- Adding transistor can actually harm because the driver can't sense the output and because of non-linear natures of motors (inductivity) and fast polarity reversal the actual current can be more than acceptable.
I suspect the current will be cut in half, but driving that way will probably work anyway as long as the valve is in good condition and clean.
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
60-2 Wheel LS2 Coils, Low Z Inj
Co-Driver 1999 BMW E46 DSP car.
md95
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by md95 »

I really haven't tried anything else with the stepper, because, well, it's been working fine 100% for quite a while now. I still have that not going to cranking steps issue though at cranking sometimes..thats a "commanded" issue, not a IAC stepper moving issue though. Haven't had much time to figure that one out yet. I have an idea or two, just need to try it. It works fine on the bench, but in the car it gives the issue. Strangest thing i've ever seen.
-Matt-
1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS 420A Turbo- MS2 Extra- 2.1.0 Release
1992 Plymouth Laser RS 4g63 AWD Turbo MS2 Extra- 3.0.3s