Firmware Updating Problem...

This is a forum for discussing the development and testing of alpha MS2/Extra code. Documentation
(Runs on MS2 and Microsquirt)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

2001dodgeneonrt
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Firmware Updating Problem...

Post by 2001dodgeneonrt »

I am having trouble downloading any firmware on to my MS2. Any time I try to flash anything it spits back 0xE0 error stating it cant talk to it. I have tried loading normal Ms2 with downloader 2.0 and also with the batch file from ms2 extra latest release. Every time I try to do a clean wipe it says it finds it but when it does a initial wipe it errors saying 0x000. Any ideas what could be wrong?

EDIT: It also will not load the bootstrap, errors saying the same as above. Then on the next line says load successful for the bootstrap. I can get screen shots later today if need be. I am also trying all this on xp. Thanks for the help.
"MS is too much control" Stockneon
My Success Story...
UnaClocker
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by UnaClocker »

Try to find a Win98 machine to do your flashing from. They seem to be the most successful.
Brian
'84 Dodge Rampage
2001dodgeneonrt
Helpful MS/Extra'er

:( ok. Thanks :)
My Success Story...
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

I don't know what the computer problems are, but my main tuning/development laptop runs XP home and no problems. My older laptop runs win 2000 - this gave frequent errors on verify which I _believe_ are related to the baud rate being to fast for the computer. Despite the errors it rarely seemed to be a problem.

The standard downloader does not work with MS2/Extra, so don't try to use it. Use the downloader batch file and we'll try to help you resolve the issues.

If you can get some screenshots I might then ask you to make some changes to the batch file (using notepad) so we can get some more diagnostics.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
msoultan
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by msoultan »

I'm not too sure it's a 98 thing.. I've been using xp and 2000 ever since I first started using MS.

Please post up all the messages from when you try and flash it and let's go from there...
2001dodgeneonrt
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Sorry for being so vague. I tried to load the standard code with the ms2 download tool and it gets as far as recognizing the chip. Once recognized it tries to do an erase and says error response code 0x000 on the next line, like it won't even connect to erase. I tried the .bat for the extra with 5 different versions to no avail. All spit back 0xE0 error. Also, on the stim all lights are off except bottom left(Pump). On the MS itself all 3 lights are lit up. When the boot loader pin is enabled the default injector light is dimmer and when tries to connect to it it lights up brighter. when boot loader is disabled, the light stays very bright. Hope this helps?
My Success Story...
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

OK, if you cannot load the standard MS2 code then you do have a problem. Lets keep working on that first and then move onto MS2/Extra once that is fixed.

In the downloader program settings. set the verbosity to 4.

This will print lots of messages on the screen, but amongst these should be some information to help.

If you try to load the MS2 code and then post the last handful of lines before it errors out we might get somewhere.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
2001dodgeneonrt
Helpful MS/Extra'er

As soon as I get home I will do that. Thanks for the help james!!!
My Success Story...
2001dodgeneonrt
Helpful MS/Extra'er

ok, nm. its working now. I was trying to use the direct serial port to no avail. I used my usb-serial convertor with a 9v battery and all is good. thx for the help guys.
My Success Story...
2001dodgeneonrt
Helpful MS/Extra'er

After testing it some more I was able to get it flashed with the usb to serial adapter and run it against the stim with the same connector. If I change over to serial I can run MT against the stim fine but once I try to load the firmware, no go. errors every time. I followed the settings from the msextra site and still get errors. I also tried to load standard ms2 from serial to no avail. I will try again once I get home and pull some error logs from the ms2 downloader program.
My Success Story...
msoultan
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by msoultan »

Ok.. Try this. Close any open programs - most importantly, megatune. Connect the serial cable to the problem serial port and the other end to the MS and cycle the power to the MS (un plug stim and plug it back in). What happens? Does the tach LED start blinking right away (engine running), or does it just flash all the LEDs once and is unresponsive?

Mike
2001dodgeneonrt
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Well, as Im writing this I am flashing my MS2 with extra code from my serial cable. I have no idea what I did different but I cannot re-create the problem of not flashing from serial. If it happens again I will update. Thanks. :?
My Success Story...
msoultan
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by msoultan »

Just to verify that your serial port was not causing you trouble, you might try doing my test...
UnaClocker
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by UnaClocker »

My latest glitch is it takes 45+ minutes to do a flash with my USB-serial adapter. I'm going to try turning the buffers up one notch to see if that helps.
Brian
'84 Dodge Rampage
msoultan
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by msoultan »

UnaClocker wrote:My latest glitch is it takes 45+ minutes to do a flash with my USB-serial adapter. I'm going to try turning the buffers up one notch to see if that helps.
What's your interWriteDelay set to in the common.ini file set to? I run it at 1ms.

Also, are all of your comm port settings correct?

Mike
UnaClocker
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by UnaClocker »

There is no interwrite delay set for the actual flashing. The part where you run the batch file in "dos" and upload the firmware... ( I put "dos" in quotes because XP and 2k don't really have dos, just an emulator)
When it gets to the part where I upload my MSQ, the delay is acceptably short. (Less than 2 minutes, which it's always been for me, and I see no need to complain about)
Brian
'84 Dodge Rampage
msoultan
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by msoultan »

ahh... hmmm... that's weird that it's taking you so long to flash. Mine takes about 30 seconds or so. where is it getting hung up? What are your USB comm port settings?
UnaClocker
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by UnaClocker »

I have the buffers turned all the way off right now. It's getting hung up every step of the way.. The main Writing.. Then after each page it hangs up a good 10 minutes.. It's crazy.. And if I just abort, I have to go all the way back to the boot jumper to get it working again.
Brian
'84 Dodge Rampage
msoultan
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by msoultan »

Hmmm.. I have my fifo buffer set to 16. I thought there might be more settings, but no...

I have a keyspan adapter.. seems to work fine. Who makes yours?
UnaClocker
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by UnaClocker »

Belkin.. Got it at Staples.. The megamanual says to set the buffers to 0.. So I did.. Next time I flash, I'll try turning it up..
Brian
'84 Dodge Rampage