Sync error on pretty vanilla ms2-e install

This is a forum for discussing the development and testing of alpha MS2/Extra code. Documentation
(Runs on MS2 and Microsquirt)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

the poi
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Sync error on pretty vanilla ms2-e install

Post by the poi »

I don't know what's with me and sync errors....I upgraded from a working msns-e 029v install to ms2-e b18. I didn't re-wire my input trigger, so I'm using falling trigger instead of rising. It's a 60-2 wheel, and was running on the msns-e install with first trigger as tooth 6, return tooth 15 (6* cranking advance), with a trigger angle of 60*. So for ms2, trigger angle was set to 0, and first tooth was set to 96*. Something weird is happening with the sync while cranking, see the datalog attached. It's giving an odd repeating RPM pattern. In other words, it can't keep the sync, but it's seeing something. Is there a raw trigger table that I can look at like in msns-e? I never had an issue running msns-e all the way up to 7200rpm, so I don't think it's a hardware problem unless I'm missing something with how ms2 is reading teeth. Any tips?

edit:// sorry: 6 cylinder with wasted spark, LEDs output circuits driving OEM 3channel ignition modules, in pairs.
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

Did you reboot the ms2 after changing your ignition settings?

Ken
the poi
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by the poi »

muythaibxr wrote:Did you reboot the ms2 after changing your ignition settings?

Ken
Yup. Is there any real functional difference between vroutinv+falling and vrout+rising?
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

According to Bruce the pots on the V3 board only work correctly if you use vrout, use rising edge, and wire the VR sensor backwards from what the factory did.

Ken
the poi
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by the poi »

Hmm, that's interesting. I'll switch it over then, and see if I make any progress.
6040solder
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 6040solder »

Any explanation from Bruce as to why that is Ken?
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

I think he said the circuits were designed to act on the signal as it rises through 0v not as it falls through 0v.

Ken
6040solder
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 6040solder »

Ok, so provided that the sensor polarity is correct for the circuit it doesn't matter whether you use rising or falling so long as the other signal is the same and the setting is correct. Thats how i thought it worked. I thought you were saying that you could only use vrout, and never vrinv for some reason.
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

Nope, just saying that the pots don't work right with vroutinv and the sensor wired "correctly" (per factory) in most cases because wired that way, the tooth is directly under the sensor at the + to - zero crossing. The circuit was meant to work on the - to + zero crossing.

Ken
6040solder
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 6040solder »

Ok, so when i say correct i mean per the v3 design, and you mean per the oem wiring :-) gotcha.
the poi
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by the poi »

Switching the vrout and setting the trigger direction correctly fixed it! Starts up much easier than it did on ms1, makes me wonder if was having sync issues during cranking on the old hardware...

now i need to figure out why my fan control output is refusing to operate :?