MS2/Extra 2.0 beta 19 (20080120)

This is a forum for discussing the development and testing of alpha MS2/Extra code. Documentation
(Runs on MS2 and Microsquirt)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

Changes this release:

- Fixed spark cut revlimiting for rotary trailing. Just turn off trailing completely in this situation
- Fixed nitrous and launch inputs on JS10 (hopefully)
- Added Rover 36-1-1 wheel mode
- Added Rover 36-1-1-1-1 wheel modes 2 and 3
- Brought CAN code in line with MS2 2.883i; moved flash7 to flash10
- outpc is block7 same as MS2 and fixed some bugs
- Added tables 14, 15 as 'title' and 'signature'
- Allow VTR1000 mode to select 4cyl as a test to fix rpm doubling

The beta can be found here:

http://www.msextra.com/ms2extra/files/b ... 080120.zip

As always, post to this thread with any problems.

For the person complaining of problems with 60-2 wheel mode... I did more testing today and still cannot find any problems. I even compared 1.0.2 to 2.0 beta 19 and saw no significant difference (maybe a couple of microseconds difference). Fueling has changed significantly for 2.0, opening time and some other things, so you may just need to retune fuel).

Ken
AbeFM
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by AbeFM »

I'd heard the JimStim had been updated to reflect the pulses in a 99+ miata where the cams are between the crank pulses, not coninciding with them. Is this relfected in the code, or not even an issue anymore?
2000 VVT Miata turbo, MS3Pro

Contact me if interested in a MS-II 2nd gen NB Miata PnP board.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

The Miata 99-00 code was not changed in beta19.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
Keithg
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Keithg »

Also fixed was the idle deal (at least for me) where it would not add a DC amount for a dashpot. This is resolved and works beautifully, now.

I have not seen the slow firmware download.

Bosch idle valve and 200ms loop time.
P=8
I=7.7
D=3

P reduced to compensate for overshoot
D increased to combat overshoot
I increased to get it to correct for SS idle error. It still can take too long to correct. This is due to the very low DC count and the low PID values.

MS2/E has the smoothest idle I have ever experienced on my car. this is with 1 squirt simultaneous in my 2.0L turbo with ~37lb injectors.

KeithG
PhoB
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by PhoB »

I have problem with beta 18 and 19. When i start engine, RPM goes over 3000+ (2500 when cold) for few sec and than drop to setuped 1100(or according to duty cycle).
I have PWM 3wire BOSCH and WARM-UP mode.

Its better to use closed loop? Its work correctly? I dont test yet.
passionboost
wes kiser
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by wes kiser »

PhoB wrote:I have problem with beta 18 and 19. When i start engine, RPM goes over 3000+ (2500 when cold) for few sec and than drop to setuped 1100(or according to duty cycle).

Been a while since I have used it, but have you tried adjusting the starting and taper values?
86 Rx-7, swapped to 2.3 ford turbo (BW EFR 6758), ms3/ms3x sequential fuel /waste spark, ls2 coils
88 Tbird 2.3t, Microsquirt Module (PIMP), TFI ignition
PhoB
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by PhoB »

wes kiser wrote:
PhoB wrote:I have problem with beta 18 and 19. When i start engine, RPM goes over 3000+ (2500 when cold) for few sec and than drop to setuped 1100(or according to duty cycle).

Been a while since I have used it, but have you tried adjusting the starting and taper values?
I dont have any start value in MT setting. Do you mean cranking duty? This is default on 65% .... i try to lower it. Craning taper is default(5sec).
passionboost
hassmaschine
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by hassmaschine »

try cutting it in half - I use 35% DC for cranking.

it would still be nice to have cranking DC correlated with CLT or MAT :p
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

That's one of the things we intend to do when (and if) we do 2.5.

We may end up adding a lot of the features listed now in 2.5 in a more minor release, as the main reason for calling it 2.5 was b/c of the faux model-based stuff I was going to try to do.

Ken
PhoB
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by PhoB »

The lowering of cranking duty, fix my problem! Thanks.
And sorry, its not a bug in msextra code, only my not knowing :)
passionboost
JonE30
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by JonE30 »

Is it just me, or does it seem that tuning out the PID variables for PWM closed loop is VERY sensitive to what numbers you input?
Also, has anyone tried applying the Zeigler-Nichols Method for determining the optimum PID variables?

Jon
1990 BMW 330is
M50B29 done - tuning
Keithg
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Keithg »

The sensitivity is dependent on the coarseness of the output/control relationship.

if RPMs/DC% is a large number, it will be very sensitive. If this number drops, it becomes less sensitive. With a Bosch 2 wire AIC, it will be very sensitive. To improve this will require more precision in DC%. Currently, it is either 1% or 2%. In my installation, 1% is too corase. Personally, I would like to see .5% or 0.25% step size. The logic and algorithm are fine, it is just that the limitation of a time based bit bang controller limits us to 1% or 2% as the code currently is. If the code were to be written to yield a 0.5% step, we then have a carrier freq ~50hz which is too noisy for most installs. As far as I can tell, the derivative value has *no* effect on my install most probably due to this rpm to DC relationship. So, the possibility of adding P and balancing with more D just doe snot work.

To get this level of precision or greater will require the use of a true PWM output. I have already given thought to how we may 'free' the injector MS2 chip PWM output from the nand gate on the MS2 card. This is possible, but delicate. The other required bit of work would be the code which does not exist. I have given some thought to this, but do not have the time, currently, to devote to the study of MS2 code to be able to attempt a trial at this.

If this can be resolved, MS2/E would then be a better solution than MS1/E for my install. As it is, I struggle with this daily. Either I am on the edge of oscillation and it will oscillate at times at startup, or it reacts so slowly, that I can stall it at a stoplight.

KeithG

On Jan 26, 2008 10:09 AM, JonE30 <jone30@cox.net (jone30@cox.net)> wrote:
Is it just me, or does it seem that tuning out the PID variables for PWM closed loop is VERY sensitive to what numbers you input?
Also, has anyone tried applying the Zeigler-Nichols Method for determining the optimum PID variables?

Jon

1990 BMW 330is
M50B29 done - wiring incomplete

Keithg
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Keithg »

Based on comments here, does this appear to be a release candidate? It seems to be pretty solid.

KeithG
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

We're close to making a release candidate. Just a few more bugs to fix!

On the PID idle, as Keith says, with the resolution of 1% duty, some installs will be tough to get right.

I'm usually happy if I'm + or - 50 rpms, with the corolla I could get that close.

I've not yet tried on the rx7, I just got it running on ms2/extra today though, so once I get everything dialed in, I'll give it a shot.

Ken
GintsK
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by GintsK »

Sorry for asking. Are in betas some dizzy mode and trigger return improvements? There was late firing and rpm drop outs at higher rpms.

Due this somewhere in September I was forced migrate back to MS1-Extra. Time based is not for my engine at cold.

Gints
Some of my instalations:
VW TBI, VW 16V 60-2,
BMW M50 COPs 60-2, BMW M20 and M50 ITBs as Alpha-N, BMW M20 turbo Wasted spark
Opel 20XE Wasted Alpha-N with ITBs
Audi 10VT Audi20V
MR2 3S-GE.............
and over 100 tuned