Can I read O2 signal without "running"?

This is a forum for discussing the development and testing of alpha MS2/Extra code. Documentation
(Runs on MS2 and Microsquirt)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

AbeFM
Super MS/Extra'er

Can I read O2 signal without "running"?

Post by AbeFM »

I finally found out how to tune my LC-1 in a reproducable way - it's complicated since the Innovative unit often overwrites itself and is generally hard to trust.

I would like to be able to set it, but I need to be able to use the "real time viewer" or similar to see what the MS thinks it's looking at. Basically, to follow the procedure outlined below I just used with my NB.

________
I wanted the narrowband signal to be right! I have a Westach guage and it seems way off. So, I couldn't really get the LC-1's output to be where I wanted it, so I set the "warmup" value to different voltages, i.e. 0.45, 0.48, 0.50V, and saw where the guage went, till I got 14.7V and not 14.8 or 14.6.

The process is:
1) Turn on car LC-1
2) Run LC-1 programming program
3) Change value (only one tab at a time)
4) "Program"
5) Close program
6) Power cycle LC-1
7) Check initial value on guage, write it down
8) GOTO 2

After several cycles, you have a table, which turned out to be pretty linear for my guage. Then you line fit it, pick something that goes through 14.7V (in my case at 0.48V), and then pick two points at the end of your guage (in my case 12.0:1 and 17.0:1), enter the corresponding voltages, set the "warmup" voltage to what you want, and hit program. I have a feeling if you have the program running and start the LC-1 it overwrites your values back to default, so don't do it. For a while I was unplugging the serial cable, too, but I found I didn't need to do it.

I wanted to do the same with the MS's WB input, but couldn't, since I didn't want to turn the car on and off a million times - but it seems you can only get a real-time O2 signal when the car in "running"?
2000 VVT Miata turbo, MS3Pro

Contact me if interested in a MS-II 2nd gen NB Miata PnP board.
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Re: Can I read O2 signal without "running"?

Post by muythaibxr »

AbeFM wrote: I wanted to do the same with the MS's WB input, but couldn't, since I didn't want to turn the car on and off a million times - but it seems you can only get a real-time O2 signal when the car in "running"?
That is correct, and it's the same as the ms2 standard 2.6xx code.

Ken