new feature, hope its ok here?

This is a forum for discussing the development and testing of alpha MS2/Extra code. Documentation
(Runs on MS2 and Microsquirt)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

offtrack
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by offtrack »

so we are talking about cars, not scratch built cars.
scratch like making your own battery and starter?

if you put a 100amp fuse in series with that big FAT Positive battery cable you would know that ,as it would be a real pain to do it. ( did you?)

So I hope you really dont have a 100amp fuse on the start line as that will never work on a cold day with over 1000 cc engine.

and the starter in all cars will in FACT try to start any stalled engine.
that is what the purpose of the starter is.

the people that designed the first one discovered that parallel motors
can not start a car , especially when cold.

bingo ,a series wound motor.

read up on them and lean what they can do.

BTW most starter solenoids will drop out at 7-8v , so
as the load increases the maximum toque will be at the point that the solenoid starts chattering. 12 to 8v ,repeat.
the torque is VAST.

click,click,click , we have all heard that, but now its would be at the full power of the a battery into the very low starter impedance.

I have a Battery cable AMP clamp , that can read battery load while
starting, I can peg the meter on 500 on some cold days.

usually big engines, of course but it scales back for rice burners.

it is spec.'d out in the FSM of the original engine of your car.
if you raised the compression ratio , it will be higher than stock.

One of My Miata's on a hot day will start with 90amps,with synthetic oil.
but on cold days , 3 times more. 1.8L

it was desiged to do ,exactly that.

In Hartmans book,new, he talked about the dangers of hydalock.

My neighbor hyralocked his egine while driving too fast in 1 foot high water. crankgone and rods. ( not starter)

there is a link I can send you for the fools that send their cars to JiffyBOOBs. for an oil change. Class action law suit.

quick story. (google it) they decide to inject fresh oil in to engines with the helf of shop air. Opps. many fords have large (variable) PCV , that
allowed the boosted oil to enter the combustion chambers via the plenum.
CRANK BOOM , many many fords.

if a starter can or can not kill an engine is not important ,the issue is will one cylinder fire and help the starter destroy it.

SURE it will , just ASK JIFFY legal team.

that is the only issue.
MS2V3+msextra,beta21+
DiyAutotune! < the best!
custom pnp harness done, default timings.
idles, cool, tripadation sets in, MLV soon.
2 years till retirement, then doing MS on wifes family cars. for economy $7 gallon fuel.
offtrack
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by offtrack »

yes, the ever vague , a well engineered... , fill in the blank.

if the combustion chamber fills with any liquid by any means,
kiss it off. ( notice i did not say Cylinder )

in AHHNALLLLDSS voice, Hasta la Vista Baby.

the Governator.(today)

by any means, gravity, alttitude , or Jiffyboobs.

roll , pitch and yawh are all legal , I thought. just no flying , LOL.

I thought some here , us MS for Chainsaws, I saw it some where.

I know, at Art Bell (Dream Land talk show)
caused by Free Energy..
Where is my free energy port , ok that is off topic ,
free energy post is in dead lock.....
MS2V3+msextra,beta21+
DiyAutotune! < the best!
custom pnp harness done, default timings.
idles, cool, tripadation sets in, MLV soon.
2 years till retirement, then doing MS on wifes family cars. for economy $7 gallon fuel.
6040solder
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 6040solder »

Perhaps you are used to engines that were not well designed?
offtrack wrote:if you put a 100amp fuse in series with that big FAT Positive battery cable you would know that ,as it would be a real pain to do it. ( did you?)
For the third? time, yes, yes I did. It wasn't all that much of a pain fittting it with the 50mm^2 cable, in fact, I rather enjoyed it :-)
So I hope you really dont have a 100amp fuse on the start line as that will never work on a cold day with over 1000 cc engine.
Not only does it work admirably starting the engine, but like I have already said at least once, it worked for around a full minute driving the whole vehicle in 2nd gear up a slight gradient... It WILL NOT blow ;-)
BTW most starter solenoids will drop out at 7-8v , so
as the load increases the maximum toque will be at the point that the solenoid starts chattering. 12 to 8v ,repeat.
the torque is VAST.
A good point, at that point though, hopefully the intelligent being behind the wheel would turn the key off again...
I can peg the meter on 500 on some cold days. usually big engines, of course but it scales back for rice burners.
Big? like this? :

My neighbor hyralocked his egine while driving too fast in 1 foot high water. crankgone and rods. ( not starter)
Yeah, water will do that, heres a BIG engine that had 11 cylinders push one rod through the block because it was full of water :

if a starter can or can not kill an engine is not important ,the issue is will one cylinder fire and help the starter destroy it.
Good point, but as I see it, relating to your thread, the "only" issue is that of the cylinder(s) being full of fuel. I see that as highly unlikely in any port injected engine (the VAST majority of engines these days)

I'm done :-) carry on ranting.
AbeFM
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by AbeFM »

I will say this thread has really picked up, I do enjoy looking at large scale disaster motors, when they aren't mine. :-)

In the end, though, I think the idea of worrying about injecting too much fuel is pretty much not a concern, the only two ways I could see it coming up is if an injector stuck open (the proposed software change wouldn't catch that), or maybe you set your priming pulse to ~10 seconds (not sure if you can, but I could see making it warn you when you try to set it above 1 second - which is already ridiculous. :-)

If there's a genuine need for a feature, sure, why not? And if you can suggest one I'd love to see it (though I'm in no way involved in making decisions around here....), but my feeling is this thread is merely entertaining at this point. :-)

Good Night, and Good Luck.
2000 VVT Miata turbo, MS3Pro

Contact me if interested in a MS-II 2nd gen NB Miata PnP board.
6040solder
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 6040solder »

Back by popular demand :

That's all.