JS0 bug, or confused by outputs and need help

This is a forum for discussing the development and testing of alpha MS2/Extra code. Documentation
(Runs on MS2 and Microsquirt)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

AbeFM
Super MS/Extra'er

JS0 bug, or confused by outputs and need help

Post by AbeFM »

Trying to set up electronic boost control, JS0

Thought it was working but settings were wrong.

Power cycled MS.

Got "config error" and rpm = 65k

Checked all wiring, noticed another output on "IAC1", but really this is physically on IAC2A.

Lots more details, but when I post details, I get ignored. Please help.
2000 VVT Miata turbo, MS3Pro

Contact me if interested in a MS-II 2nd gen NB Miata PnP board.
AbeFM
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by AbeFM »

I'm pretty concerned about giving all the information needed to solve a problem in one post, but I don't know how to expect advice without facts either.

For months, I've been using: "PT6, IAC1" for my VICS solenoid. It's been working. But it's wired, physically, to JS2 (IAC2A).

Yesterday, I set "IAC pin A" for my boost control, which seemed to work. The boost solenoid is wired to JS0 (IAC1A)

As I said, when I power cycled the MS, it came up with a serious config error and I had to turn boost control off.

6040solder
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 6040solder »

Did you try fetching the whole msq back out of the controller and searching through it to find if there is anything that overlaps at all (whether it should or not) ?
AbeFM
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by AbeFM »

How would I check if it overlaps? It's reversable, turning boost on and off makes it fail/not fail. I still want to check turning the VICS on and off, but I'm curious about "Pin 1" verses "IAC A", etc etc.

Will post when I get my laptop back, but would love a few pointers if anyone has anything to share.

jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

There was a mistake in Megatune somewhere that had IAC1A and IAC1B transposed - this could be a part of the problem.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
AbeFM
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by AbeFM »

That much seems obvious, but I'm glad to have it validated.

I'm wondering why it screams configuration error, and what can I do about it.

muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

What error does it give you... can you post your msq so I can try to duplicate it? Also, nobody is ignoring you, I personally just don't have a lot of spare time to check problems people are seeing, so usually they wait until the weekend.

EDIT: The only way I've been able to get a config error is to have something else configured to use the IAC pins... for example, if I have idle control set to something that uses the IAC pins, it errors.

Ken
ol boy
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ol boy »

I'be noticed the same problem too. Try to use a single stage of N20 which comes off of IAC2 instead of IAC1. Then have an electric fan running off of ICA2 which is realy ICA1. Cycle the power and I also get a config error. Everything work fine as long as the power isn't cycled with the laptop hooked up.

Tryed using generic output port IAC2 for fan coontrol and then N20 quits working along with gen output.

Same issue with Nov07 betas, Feb08 betas and RC2.
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

That doesn't help if you don't tell us what config error you get. Use the mini terminal feature of megatune and power cycle the MS. Then let us know what error occurs.

I tried to reproduce by setting up a generic port on PT7 - IAC2, turning off IAC idle speed control, and turning on nitrous.

I get no config error.

Now, I *can* get a config error by setting up generic output PT6 - IAC1 for a coolant temperature-based output, then turning on nitrous.

This is because Nitrous uses that output (which is really on the board IAC2) for its output.

So I'm pretty sure that if you switch your fan output to whichever IAC pin it's not on now (I believe on the board you should switch it to IAC1, and in the firmware, use the IAC2 setting), and then turn on nitrous, it'll work fine.

The boost control config error is probably the same thing.

Ken
ol boy
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ol boy »

"Conflict with nitrous pins and IAC"

With 1 stage of N20 turned on and IAC2 programed for fan control niether IAC ports respond. If I change fan control to IAC1 both N20 and fan will work fine, but when the power is cycled I get the config error above.

Seems..

A=1, B=2 but.. A is realy 2, but B is still programed to 2 aslo but will work off of 1. Somethings not meshing. Later Ryan.
AbeFM
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by AbeFM »

It's been a while, but I agree. It acted as if the settings used the opposite pins, but the checks used the correct pins - so it worked fine, but on power cycle it boots up and checks the wrong thing.

In general (not saying this is easy to do) it seems all the issues with the wrong pins being called out in MT should be dealt with. JS0 is IAC1, not IAC2. Perhaps fixing that would cure this config error issue as a bonus.

muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

ol boy wrote:"Conflict with nitrous pins and IAC"

With 1 stage of N20 turned on and IAC2 programed for fan control niether IAC ports respond. If I change fan control to IAC1 both N20 and fan will work fine, but when the power is cycled I get the config error above.

Seems..

A=1, B=2 but.. A is realy 2, but B is still programed to 2 aslo but will work off of 1. Somethings not meshing. Later Ryan.
All I was saying is that if you follow what I did in my previous post, it should work for you, but you might have to move whichever pin you set up for the fan.

I'll make sure the config error checks account for the MT bug.

Ken
ol boy
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ol boy »

muythaibxr wrote:
I tried to reproduce by setting up a generic port on PT7 - IAC2, turning off IAC idle speed control, and turning on nitrous.

I get no config error.
right, but both IAC's won't work at all. I did this on the bench. Then switch fan to IAC1 generic output and both IAC's responed to settings but with the power cycled we get the "Conflict with nitrous pins and IAC"

Is the needed change in MTconfig files or else where?
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

It's not a config file change at all, it's a megatune bug in the code itself.

I *have* been able to get it so there is no config error by doing the config I said a couple of posts back, though I don't know if it'll actually work right.

I'll have to check. I should be able to work around this in the firmware somehow though.

Ken
AbeFM
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by AbeFM »

That would be awesome! It sure would be nice if the MT guys could fix it on their end... I guess it's a big deal for them? Do they know?

nelson_trujillo
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by nelson_trujillo »

AbeFM wrote:That would be awesome! It sure would be nice if the MT guys could fix it on their end... I guess it's a big deal for them? Do they know?
Yes, They already Know, but no date when the new version will be released:
megamanual: http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/spare.htm
megatune help: http://www.megamanual.com/megatune.htm#sp

The website for experimental versions is down.
1990 Miata Mariner Blue 1.8L @ 15psi, IC & Water Injection