MS2/Extra Alpha 3.0.3 20090611

This is a forum for discussing the development and testing of alpha MS2/Extra code. Documentation
(Runs on MS2 and Microsquirt)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

MS2/Extra Alpha 3.0.3 20090611

Post by racingmini_mtl »

The latest release for the Alpha 3.0.3 contains all the code updates from the RC2 and RC3 versions of 2.1.0. Refer to the posts on those releases for the code updates. In addition there are 2 changes specific to the sequential code:

1- The use of the cranking pulse width % has been corrected in the code so that it is no longer necessary to put a value 2 or 4 times higher than what is required for the non-sequential code.

2- A bug was present that omitted injection pulses when 2 pulses started overlapping on the same injector channel. This only affected semi-sequential (non-siamese) when duty cycle was approaching 100% and sequential Siamese modes when timing and duty cycle was causing overlap. This is now corrected but overlapping pulses will still affect timing (and pulse width of the outer cylinders for the sequential siamese mode).

Edit: The code is available on the ms2extra server:
http://www.msextra.com/ms2extra/files/a ... 090611.zip

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
kritip
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: MS2/Extra Alpha 3.0.3 20090611

Post by kritip »

Totally missed this post, so bumping for others.

Cheers Jean, I'll give it a go in a day or two :)
Constantly evolving;
4 cylinder n/a, 16v 1368cc Fiat Seicento
Dohc Rocks
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Dohc Rocks »

Loaded the code as soon as it came out....

100 km later and I can attest that it's all good for 420a folks.

Open loop IAC taper makes starts OEM awesome !

I cut all cranking PW point in half and it works exactly as intended !

Great work Jean !

Now if only I could get this KnocksenseMS to stop being so darn sensitive.......
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Thanks! I'm glad it's working well for you.

And I'd like to take the credit but a lot (actually most) comes from James and Ken. But I'm glad to see that the sequential injection has brought MS2/Extra to a new level.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
SQLGUY
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by SQLGUY »

I installed it yesterday, upgrading from the 2.1.0 beta. Everything looks fine so far, though I haven't yet seen a noticeable difference with the new features.

I did do a bit of tweaking while on the stand, and took it out for a short test ride.

I have set it up for semi-sequential injection with an end time of 40 degrees BTDC (-40?).

I am also using the VE trim tables to reduce my second injector channel by 5%. This is because I'm running a Yamaha engine with YICS (sub-intake ports that provide extra swirl, but also allow the intakes to "steal" from each other; the second channel is for cylinders 2 and 3, which have more opportunity to steal than the outer cylinders do). 5% is just a guess, though it's based on knowing that the factory setup had the inner pair of carburetors set a bit leaner than the outer pair. We'll see how even the plugs look after a bit of run time.

The one big benefit is that this forced me to try Tuner Studio, which seems to me like a very nice upgrade from Megatune 2.25.

By the way, while I'm "here", can someone tell me what the reason is for having to disconnect coils from the ECU when upgrading MS2/Extra?

Thanks,
Paul
'82 SECA 750 - converted to fuel injection with Microsquirt and a bunch of home-made pieces.

Project page: http://residentialcolorado.com/SECA_750i.htm
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

The reason for disconnecting the coils is that the pins used for the coil have an indeterminate state when the boot loader is running. Since the pins are not originally used for this purpose in MS2, there is no initialisation done on them. Moreover, since the polarity can be different in different setups any initialisation would not be very useful in all cases.

So if you do not disconnect the coils, you may burn them and/or the drivers. By the way, when using the additional injector drivers, the same thing applies to the injectors.

If you want 40 degrees BTDC, you need to enter 40. Just think of it as an ignition advance: a positive values there is BTDC and a negative is ATDC. I have put a graph to show what the timing values relate to in terms of engine position on my web page (scroll down to about the middle of the page). In semi-sequential, the values should be kept from -180 to 180 degrees.

Jean
SQLGUY
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by SQLGUY »

racingmini_mtl wrote:Since the pins are not originally used for this purpose in MS2, there is no initialisation done on them.
Does this still apply for Microsquirt, where these pins are originally used for driving the two ignition channels?

I ask because, by this point, the pins and connector of my uS are getting pretty rough from all the removal and reinstallation.

Thanks,
Paul
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

SQLGUY wrote:
racingmini_mtl wrote:Since the pins are not originally used for this purpose in MS2, there is no initialisation done on them.
Does this still apply for Microsquirt, where these pins are originally used for driving the two ignition channels?

I ask because, by this point, the pins and connector of my uS are getting pretty rough from all the removal and reinstallation.

Thanks,
Paul
I would say it is still prudent. So long as the coils do not get power it does not matter how you achieve it. Pulling the fuses is usually the easiest.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
SQLGUY
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by SQLGUY »

Originally I did have ignition and ECU on separate circuits, but that was causing me issues in that uS didn't have the most precise information about coil supply voltage. I tied them together so that dwell and injector open time compensation would be more accurate.

Sounds like I might need to add an external connector specifically for IGN1 and IGN2....

Cheers,
Paul
chense
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by chense »

racingmini_mtl wrote:The latest release for the Alpha 3.0.3 contains all the code updates from the RC2 and RC3 versions of 2.1.0.
Is it just me or flood clear mode doesn't work (PW's just stay the same)?
Worked fine in previous alpha(3.0.3c).

--
Bye,
Tom
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

I just checked it and it works fine on the bench. Have you calibrated your TPS?

Jean
Gerald O
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Gerald O »

I'm running this code now on my MGB (siamese sequencial). I've got about 400 miles on this version now with no incidents.
I noticed right away that the cold startup was much faster. It now starts within a second or two. Previously I had to crank for about 4 or 5 seconds before it would start. I was afraid to raise the cold cranking pulsewidth too high for fear of flooding it. Didn't know it was a bug until this code was anounced. Thanks!

Regarding disconnection of coils when updating code - mine will blow the fuse if I forget to do this.
kritip
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by kritip »

Sure it's me, not the code. Cold cranking is fine (as above it seems to catch quicker than before). Warm cranking, ie. 90 degrees Celcius (CLT) is no good any more though.

If i have been on a long drive, fill up with fuel, and try and start again, its a struggle to get going.

Before sequential it was ok. With sequential and higher cranking PW it was ok, now with corrected sequential values, i can't seem to get it right.

I have tried silly low to silly high cranking PW at high temperature, but they all stumble and cough into life after about 6 or 7 tries cranking and fiddling with the throttle.

One recent change is my cranking speed has increased due to a new starter and battery, about 290-320rpm. At cold it starts fine though, so i don't think this is the issue.

Any tips or advise?

Cheers,

KRistian
Constantly evolving;
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Silly question: have you adjusted your cranking RPM accordingly?

Jean
kritip
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by kritip »

Yes, I did adjust it (about 100 higher than cranking), but you made me think, I don't know what speed it is cranking at when warm. It may be significantly faster.

I shall make some changes and report back, otherwise, i'll just keep trying. As i said, i doubt its a code issue :)

Cheers,

KRistian
Constantly evolving;
kritip
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by kritip »

All sorted now. It was a mixture of the PW and the cranking value. Now when warm i'm at 100% PW and it starts fine. For some reason i must have run a lot higher and a lot lower but not approached that for whatever reason :RTFM: :oops:
Constantly evolving;
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

It's good to hear it's not a code issue. :)

Jean
ashford
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ashford »

i just upgraded from 2.1.0 20090505 to 3.0.3 alpha and am getting a really bad stumble that i cant figure out.

the car is a dodge csx shadow with a 2.5 turbo. currently using a narrow band for closed loop and egt's for boost(jaw wideband is giving a fit under boost, currently rich under boost), stock dizzy, accell 300+ ign box, 52# injectors, p&h board and factory intercooler
it builds boost and torque well till about 3800 rpm and farts and sputters, smoothens out at around 4400 then farts again around 5200. it seems to almost be related to boost, but it does not go above the boost protection threshold. previous code ran fine just a really small pulsewidth at idle 1.4. ive got no lost synchs, i took a few trigger logs and it looks fine.

please have a look and tell me if you see anything

EDIT: forgot injector driver
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Have you tried moving the injection timing? You have a 250 degrees timing which seems like a strange place. Try around -300 to -340.

But your AFR is shown as 12.7 everywhere so I assume this is not the real value. So as long as you don't know what your real AFR is, it's quite difficult to know whether this is or not related to it.

Jean
UnaClocker
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by UnaClocker »

As for the wideband, do you have it mounted 18" or more down from the turbo? You generally don't want to put a wideband into the O2 housing on the turbo, too much heat..
You might try narrowing the plug gap, I had to go down to .025 on my plugs while I got it all tuned in.. Really doesn't make that big of a difference in power anyways.. :)
Brian
'84 Dodge Rampage