RS232 --> Bluetooth. What do you think ?

This is a forum for discussing the development and testing of alpha MS2/Extra code. Documentation
(Runs on MS2 and Microsquirt)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: RS232 --> Bluetooth. What do you think ?

Post by piledriver »

landybehr wrote::?:

The LM048 arrived today. But there was no software with it.

I guess it will not install anything, á la USB. So I will have to download it somewhere.
If only I knew from where. At LM-technologies.com I only see "configuration tools" for LM049 and others. I´m not sure how that will work.

help ??
It doesn't need special software, you just talk to it with a serial terminal to configure, config is saved in flash.
It does require a serial port of some type to set up, once.

You can use hyperterm, PuTTY, minicomm---whatever.

You could probably even make a blind write to the serial device as long as the port is set up properly to the dongles default speed etc.
My USConverter unit defaulted to 19200,8,n,1, YMMV.
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.
landybehr
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by landybehr »

Problem sorted :) The LM049 Software is only suited for older Firmware-versions than my LM048 came with. I have to use the LM159-Configuration software.
The LM048 adapter can be connected to my Laptop by means of the same USB-Serial Adapter that I used to connect the MS with. There is a USB cable that came with the LM048, this I had to plug into Laptop and LM048 to supply power. So - I now can happily program the LM048.

But: I have some options I don´t know about:
a) unlike in Frank W.´s links showing the LM049 software, I cannot enter a Password. I can do enter a Pin-Code. Is that the same ? And, what effect has entering a password resp. pincode ?
b) then there are click boxes: "auto connect" / "escape mode" / "echo mode" / "auto power" / "command response" / "remote configuration" / "disable authentification" >>> all boxes are active, only "auto power" and "Disable authentification" are empty/disabled.

I have to learn what they are for. It would be nice if the adapter connected to the BT-dongle on my Laptop without any effort when I want to use Tunerstudio.
Safety: and it shouldn´t be able for anyone to interfere, resp. confuse any settigs (I do not expect any "hacker" to mess up my tune, but with BT-working ranges of 100m maybe anyone with a handy could erratically do sth. unwanted ??)
Range Rover Classic
WestfieldMX5
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WestfieldMX5 »

safety: the password / pin code is to prevent just that
2016 Westfield SEiW MX5 1.8 - 6sp - Torsen - MSM turbo - MS3 Pro - 2.3kg/hp
landybehr
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by landybehr »

Ah! That might explain why I couldn´t connect today at first try. At least the LM048 has power from the MS-board, without which I would have been stranded. Everything else can be dealt with.

Besides: what exactly is the shorting of pin 7 and 8 for ?
The Lm048 is so small that I just might want to omit any extension-cable solution to mount it remotely. If shorting is mandatory, I might want to get some thin copper plate with two holes which slides over the pins and get´s sandwiched between the DB9 plugs. Unless this is a silly idea.
Range Rover Classic
WestfieldMX5
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WestfieldMX5 »

Shorting pin 7 and 8 is to set up the handshaking. That's a protocol between 2 devices to indicate to each other that they are ready to send / receive data.
If you short the pins, you set up the handshaking 'permanently'.
The squeeling you used to hear if you've ever played with old telefone line modems, is actually the handshaking that's going on between the 2 devices. Once connection is set up, the squeeling stops and normal communication begins.
How you short the pins doesn't really matter, be it on the MS, on the Bluetooth device or in the cable.
Some users have reported succesfull connections without even doing the short. I never tried, just soldered the jumper on the MS while I was building it :).
2016 Westfield SEiW MX5 1.8 - 6sp - Torsen - MSM turbo - MS3 Pro - 2.3kg/hp
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

FWIW, Serial DB9 pins 7 and 8 are not even connected on the V1.01 or V2.2 boards, hardware handshaking lines.

Thus reasonably certain they are not used by MS, although if it makes your serial dongle happy, it can do no harm.

I didn't connect them.

The "squealing" tones some of us remember (used by fax machines too) are the two modems on each end of the phone line speed synchronizing, nothing to do with pins 7/8 on the serial cable.
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.
landybehr
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by landybehr »

Hi there,

BT devices somehow know each other now. The Pin-code was my fault here. After typing it in the BT connection started, telling me that Com port 13 is used.
Now telling TunerStudio to use that port nothing happened, it sees no connection.

I wonder if that has to do with the handshaking. From piledrivers postings I get extract that it´s not the likely clue - as we use the same LM048. Anyhow, I´ll try the shorting.
Range Rover Classic
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

landybehr wrote:Hi there,

BT devices somehow know each other now. The Pin-code was my fault here. After typing it in the BT connection started, telling me that Com port 13 is used.
Now telling TunerStudio to use that port nothing happened, it sees no connection.

I wonder if that has to do with the handshaking. From piledrivers postings I get extract that it´s not the likely clue - as we use the same LM048. Anyhow, I´ll try the shorting.

It's more likely Windows playing silly buggers with the com port # or other settings.

With USB comm ports you can go into the properties and "lock" it to a specified comm port, not sure if that's possible with BT, but worth looking at.

I'm not usually running Windows as it's too slow on my old hardware vs. Linux, XP works but TS/Java in general crawls by comparison.
I lose my touchscreen under Win7 (old semtech chip not supported), not worth it since I actually use the touchscreen and Java is no faster..
justnsk
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by justnsk »

rx7locost
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by rx7locost »

justnsk, they are slightly different units. The second item works for me. It requires no mods to the MS board, but requires a jumper on the adapter to get the +5 V to the module circuits. I don't know about the first link you posted, I only tried the second unit. Both of these adapters have very poor documentation support, if any, as do most of the eBay bluetooth boards. For instance, the one I use says it can be swapped from Slave to Master but in reality it is not changable. The serial-bluetooth module needs to be a "slave" to work with the MS.

The range in my application is ~15 feet. Not great but enough to tune standing or sitting alongside my car.

See my writeups here: http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtop ... &start=360

and here: http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=975008
PARUS
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by PARUS »

Guys,

What do you say about these ones ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bluetooth-Seria ... 804wt_1270

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-Blueto ... 500wt_1287

Or maybe you can advice quality and non-expensive board that can be integrated to Microsquirt V3.0 box as bluetooth
transceiver?

Thanks.
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

The TOP one appears to be ~identical to the USconverters one I have, except with the external antenna.

I bought it direct from USconverters for ~$50 shipped.

Works flawlessly with TS, very long range/solid connection with a class1 BT adapter on the laptop side.
(I'm using an Asus class1 unit that barely sticks out the USB port far enough to grab)

You will need a straight through gender changer or similarly setup cable so you can plug it into the MS

I avoided the iogear one as it has pants reviews and costs more, even though I could pick one up at Frys on the way to work.

I noticed an oddity when playing ---
Going through BT, it doesn't matter what baud rate TS is set to (as long as it is =>) the BT layer hides it.
As long as the ADAPTER is set to match the serial speed of the MS, it will work,
PARUS
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by PARUS »

piledriver wrote:The TOP one appears to be ~identical to the USconverters one I have, except with the external antenna.

I bought it direct from USconverters for ~$50 shipped.

Works flawlessly with TS, very long range/solid connection with a class1 BT adapter on the laptop side.
(I'm using an Asus class1 unit that barely sticks out the USB port far enough to grab)

You will need a straight through gender changer or similarly setup cable so you can plug it into the MS

I avoided the iogear one as it has pants reviews and costs more, even though I could pick one up at Frys on the way to work.

I noticed an oddity when playing ---
Going through BT, it doesn't matter what baud rate TS is set to (as long as it is =>) the BT layer hides it.
As long as the ADAPTER is set to match the serial speed of the MS, it will work,
Are this powered from internal battery or directly fron RS232 ?
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

External DB9 pin 9, external miniUSB, or external battery/power supply. No internal.

The 2 MS1 setups I have on the bench got a jumper for 5v under the mainboard.

In the driver that I haven't modded yet, I just use a little cigarette lighter USB power adapter and a random mini USB cable.
That converter even has a tiny little plug/socket for a battery, comes with the pigtail/plug.

It has a switch for power source, either DB9/9 or the 2 plug ins..

It only has one "downside", it must be programmed for speed with a "baud=9600 (or 115200) and the external DTE switch set as needed, and pin=(whatever) default is 1234 like everything else..
(any serial comm software works, minicom under Unix , hyperterminal etc on Windows)
There are a few units on the market that are DIP switch configurable.($$$) and some need custom software IIRC...
This one works easily for $50.

MSlogger is now very much working with my free HTC Hero BTW. (had a broken USB socket, very common issue, idiot design)
Nice little easily configurable mini digital dash too.

If it was a tablet, it could be used as a 5 gauge digital dash panel if the MS has a speedo input.
(HTC hero is a tiny phone, but fits fine in my line of sight just outside my steering wheel rim once I make a proper dash mount)
PARUS
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by PARUS »

Someone already sell it for megasquirt http://www.ebay.com/itm/Megasquirt-Blue ... 500wt_1287
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

I think the extra ~$20 or so for a removable unit with ~hundreds of feet of range is worth it, but YMMV.
That looks like one of the $7 LVTTL adapters... cant really tell tho from here.

Most folks can "free up" a grounded pin on a PCB and run a 3/4" jumper wire, and converting back to a cable is a matter of plugging a RS232 cable back in.

I have burned firmware via BT (as an experiment) on mine--- worked fine.
Monzsta
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Monzsta »

PARUS wrote:Someone already sell it for megasquirt http://www.ebay.com/itm/Megasquirt-Blue ... 500wt_1287
Not a horrible price for a unit already set up for you. Lord knows I pulled my hair out on mine for months before figuring it out.
'98 Trans Am LS1 A4
Ms2 3.0 board, controlling fuel and spark.
Bean Bandit
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Bean Bandit »

hmm, I'm in the process of building my second MS (DIYPNP unit) and wondred if the combination of these two parts would work:
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8780 and http://www.sparkfun.com/products/158
I did some measuring and should be able to make a very neat installation of those components inside the casing with the antenna port between the MAP sensor and DB9. Incidentally the through holes of the BT unit should line up nice with the proto area so I'd be able to seat it on a small header. The shifter would be placed underneath the board with wiring from DB9 to shifter and on to the BT modem.
something like this:
IMAG0192.jpg
Am I on the right way or did I miss something, also anyone had any experience with the RN-41?
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

The main thing I do not like about the internals is that that becomes your only comm option, as you lose the std RS232.
If that could be avoided so either the DB9 OR the BT worked, it would be perfect.
Bean Bandit
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Bean Bandit »

piledriver wrote:The main thing I do not like about the internals is that that becomes your only comm option, as you lose the std RS232.
If that could be avoided so either the DB9 OR the BT worked, it would be perfect.
on the MSDIYPNP there is a jumper next to the DB9 which if enabled sends 5V to pin 9. I assume if there is no power at the BT modem the regular serial cable should still work... or am I missing something? Alternatively if the shifter/modem can't be connected to the DB9 at all when the cable is used - it wouldn't be a big issue to place a connector between the DB9 and shifter module. Thinking about it I could bring the necessary DB9 pins (4) as a socket/headers directly from the bottom of it to the proto area and make the BT/shifter module plug into it with a small connector. Still not sure if I'm missing something here but can't see a huge problem regarding that - could even go as far as putting a small switch on the case to choose between BT and cable.
Personally I'm more hesitating due to the fact that I don't know if this combo works or not. I have to admit I'm far from realy understanding of what and why I'm donig thing when it comes to the MS hardware - I mostly follow instructions and recreate solutions others found to my needs :)