[FW MOD] ms2extra 3.2.1 beta gslender v2

This is a forum for discussing the development and testing of alpha MS2/Extra code. Documentation
(Runs on MS2 and Microsquirt)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

tpsretard2
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: [FW MOD] ms2extra 3.2.1 beta gslender v2

Post by tpsretard2 »

i totally agree with the change to the dashpot, i don't even use it :O
Greg G
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Greg G »

muythaibxr wrote:OK, separating the CL targets from CL idle and making them independent should not be a problem. I will do it in MS3 and backport. Right now the lookup is only active if CL idle is active.

As far as the dashpot goes, I feel it doesn't work like a real dashpot, so perhaps making it do so is the right way to go? I really don't want yet another table or curve associated with the idle feature, I want to remove some of the tunables while retaining or improving the functionality.

As such, my proposal is that the dashpot work like a real one and open the valve extra like it does now on throttle lift and then close back to the last good or table value over a specified time period. This is how the 2 or 3 OEMs I have seen work (mainly for emissions but with other benefits too). The initial position table can then be used to set the initial RPM going into PID with the dashpot doig what a dashpot should.

Ken
Yup, an active dashpot with exponential decay. Am reading up :RTFM:

http://www.freestudy.co.uk/dynamics/dam ... ations.pdf

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4453514.html

Unrelated to dashpot, but a good read:
http://vehicle.berkeley.edu/Publication ... thesis.pdf

I don't know if it should taper over a specified period of time because we can enter the throttle lift period from so many different scenarios. My thinking is, if we want to control the RPMdot, then we should tie dashpot to it somehow.
1996 Mazda MX-5 1.6L NA6/ Mazdaspeed M45 SC/ BSP AW Intercooler/ Maruha F-cams/ 425cc RX-8 injectors/ DIYPNP

MS2/Extra test mule :)
gslender
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by gslender »

Greg G wrote: I don't know if it should taper over a specified period of time because we can enter the throttle lift period from so many different scenarios. My thinking is, if we want to control the RPMdot, then we should tie dashpot to it somehow.
A solution is to tie the decay rate to inverse rpmDOT so that large rpmDOT values slow the decay and small rpmDOT values increase the decay.

A simple way to do this could be;

Dashpot duty = UV x ( abs(rpmDOT) / 1000)

Where UV = user value duty adder

As rpmDOT fluxuates so would dashpot, factored around a user value to magnify or reduce the effect etc. When entering PID the dashpot would be canceled (zero) but actively updated all the time during throttle lifted. To tie into valve closed it could only be active when rpm is below the closed value (right now it just abruptly opens regardless of the rpm that throttle lift occurred).

Simple to tune and probably equally effective.

G
Mazda MX5 + MS3 Pro
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

I will also be tying fuel return RPM from fuel cut to RPMdot based on some research I have been doing.

However the dashpot is more for emissions the way the factories use it. I plan on doing some research before tying it to anything in particular.

Ken
Megasquirt is not for use on pollution controlled vehicles. Any advice I give is for off road use only.
gslender
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by gslender »

Hi Ken, so what's the plan now that 3.2.1 has gone to release? Will a beta incorporating a few of these mod features be released soon? If so, what features are you planning to take fwd?

Extra memory page?

Idle up code?

Adaptive Idle Advance?

PID RPM input smoother?

Clutch Switch Cl PID Lockout?

MS3 volt and ivt tables?

Others?

G

Oh, and Merry Xmas everyone! :yeah!:
Mazda MX5 + MS3 Pro
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

So far all except the TPSdot changes.

Ken
Megasquirt is not for use on pollution controlled vehicles. Any advice I give is for off road use only.
gslender
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by gslender »

muythaibxr wrote:So far all except the TPSdot changes.

Ken
Best Xmas present ever! :yeah!:
Mazda MX5 + MS3 Pro
Greg G
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Greg G »

Ken
What will replace the Tpsdot changes? Sliding window?
1996 Mazda MX-5 1.6L NA6/ Mazdaspeed M45 SC/ BSP AW Intercooler/ Maruha F-cams/ 425cc RX-8 injectors/ DIYPNP

gslender
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by gslender »

Greg G wrote:

Ken
What will replace the Tpsdot changes? Sliding window?
Hopefully the square adc filters and sliding window that James has completed, but with MAP included.

James, would be great if you can confirm this and/or any chance for someone to test etc.

G
Mazda MX5 + MS3 Pro
Zaphod
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Zaphod »

Ken
I feel like Christmas every day now, if I have a look into this board...
--------------------------------
fun is not a straight line

Sven
http://www.mx-5club-sachsen.de
http://miata.cardomain.com/id/svenmx5
NB-1998-1,6-Garrett T25 HGP Turbo Stage I
Greg G
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Greg G »

I figured it out. The AC adder disables dashpot somehow (during throttle lift). So when I am driving with no AC and lift the throttle, I get initial value table (IVT) duty plus dashpot. With the AC on, I get IVT duty plus AC adder, instead of IVT duty plus dashpot plus AC adder. So I have a consistent droop on throttle lift when AC is on.

While typing this, I realized I could solve it if I just set dashpot to zero, and incorporate the dashpot value into the IVT... :?

But i suppose it's a simple fix to get both adders added?

The good news--idle valve duty voltage correction has the nice side effect of acting as a sort of antistall, since if the RPMs go down really low, the voltage drops and the voltage correction opens up the valve.

Adaptive Idle Advance applied to warmup

Another new thing: RPM error to target can be logged! This graph measures how well AIA is tuned:

This graph lets you visualize the action of P and D terms!

muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

The AC isleup fixes I made in ms3 will be backported. Basically I stopped applying the adders all over the code and made them all apply from one place so no matter what they are applied when they should be.

Ken
Greg G
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Greg G »

Thanks Ken! Looking forward to it!

Merry Christmas :)

muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

You and everyone else too.
gslender
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by gslender »

Folks, there is a bug in the code regarding how it applies dashpot (thanks Greg for being persistent with me on this).

I've found it, and i know how to fix it. For now, just tune without it if you can (add to the IVT tables).

I hope to have a revised release out within a week that corrects this.

G
Mazda MX5 + MS3 Pro
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

I forgot to get you my changes to ms3 last night. I will get them for you today.

Ken
gslender
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by gslender »

Hi Ken,

Hopefully this source is cleaned and corrected as you requested to be included in the next base beta release going forward. I've made so many changes now its becoming a real chore to bring forward, so would love for some of them to be part of the next beta if possible :|

It is based on the released 3.2.1 that James did just before Xmas (but signature still said *beta* 3.2.1)

I also included the re-arranged way the ms3 adders are being added too ... with the sliding window bug fixed 8)
Source >>
ms2extra_3.2.1_gslender_v2.1_cleaned_source.zip
Here is the firmware too for those that like to try the latest stuff... use with care - not thoroughly tested
Firmware >>
ms2extra_3.2.1_gslender_v2.1_cleaned.zip
For those playing at home, you'll notice the tpsDOT smoothing is gone... :shock: don't worry, something better will be available soon (hint, hint James, I hope this is soon - can't live without it now :oops: ).

G
Mazda MX5 + MS3 Pro
tpsretard2
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by tpsretard2 »

Just downloaded this.

and reverted in less than 1 mile.
the tpsdot smoothing was what made this a real nice firmware. this is now, for me anyway pointless.

The nicer idle is loved also, but not the real reason that i went to this. it was the tpsdot work.
gslender
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by gslender »

tpsretard2 wrote:Just downloaded this.

and reverted in less than 1 mile.
the tpsdot smoothing was what made this a real nice firmware. this is now, for me anyway pointless.

The nicer idle is loved also, but not the real reason that i went to this. it was the tpsdot work.
I've got a sliding window tpsdot and mapdot in test. Should have something to release soon plus a new feature... Dynamic Dashpot - works off rpmdot to dynamically apply a variable Dashpot duty.

G
Mazda MX5 + MS3 Pro
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

I already have ideas for dashpot and will be handling them myself to make it work like a regular mechanical dashpot.

Ken