[FW MOD] ms2extra 3.2.1 beta gslender v2

This is a forum for discussing the development and testing of alpha MS2/Extra code. Documentation
(Runs on MS2 and Microsquirt)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: [FW MOD] ms2extra 3.2.1 beta gslender v2 beta5

Post by racingmini_mtl »

juansh2385 wrote:This is working great but could someone make the necessary changes to enable the diagnostic tab in tuner studio for this firmware.

Juan
That's a TS issue. Either you have the lite mode enabled or you have a version that had an issue with this.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
juansh2385
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by juansh2385 »

racingmini_mtl wrote:
juansh2385 wrote:This is working great but could someone make the necessary changes to enable the diagnostic tab in tuner studio for this firmware.

Juan
That's a TS issue. Either you have the lite mode enabled or you have a version that had an issue with this.

Jean
Jean this happened before with mariob mods too this is what phil told me last time:
LT401Vette wrote:The enable status of that is based on the signature as the function is tightly coupled to the firmware capability. If your code is based on ms2 extra it would work, but the signature needs to represent it as some form of ms2 extra.
The association is compiled in, you can not edit a file.
Where is this code and ini?
Juan
Last edited by juansh2385 on Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

You're right and I remembered it after writing my answer. Phil will have to answer if it is the case here because he's the only one who can say for certain.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
juansh2385
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by juansh2385 »

got it I already notify phil in the appropriate forum section.
gslender
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by gslender »

juansh2385 wrote:got it I already notify phil in the appropriate forum section.
If someone can let me know what is required, I'll make the change and get it back out again.

Thanks
G
Mazda MX5 + MS3 Pro
gslender
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by gslender »

I've read a post from Phil that explains the requirements - http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 21#p288519

I will update the firmware in the next 24 hours (beta6) and will aim to publish that with the changes required.

Note to devs - Phil doesn't leave much room for version changes given it must start with these characters !!

Code: Select all

MS2Extra Rel 3
MS2Extra Serial
MS2Extra serial
I'd suggest he/you shorten the string to something like "MS2E Ser x.x.x "

g
Mazda MX5 + MS3 Pro
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

gslender wrote:I'd suggest he/you shorten the string to something like "MS2E Ser x.x.x "
The firmware is called MS2/Extra. I dislike the term MS2E.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
tpsretard2
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by tpsretard2 »

i started testing this for you this morning on the way to work. everything seems stable, that extra bin for the rpm idle did help.
the pwm vs idle voltage really helped!! my 2 fans are not exactly for the faint of alternator. i have poped a 25 amp fuse once or twice.
now there is almost no difference on idle you are truly making the ms2/extra firmware a step above the rest.

kudos to you mate, keep up the amazing work!!
gslender
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by gslender »

jsmcortina wrote:
gslender wrote:I'd suggest he/you shorten the string to something like "MS2E Ser x.x.x "
The firmware is called MS2/Extra. I dislike the term MS2E.

James
James, it's just an I'd string used in the ini and not seen by the avg joe. :?

All I'm pointing out is that in a 20 char ID string 15 can't change at all... That leaves very little for any version changes or alternatives etc.

I guess it just means I can't easily respect the base version (321) and add a version identifier myself. :(

G
Mazda MX5 + MS3 Pro
gslender
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by gslender »

tpsretard2 wrote: kudos to you mate, keep up the amazing work!!
Hey, I'm just standing on the shoulders of the real heros....James, Ken and Jean.

Kudos to them :yeah!:

G
Mazda MX5 + MS3 Pro
tpsretard2
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by tpsretard2 »

i have given them Kudos before, and they do deserve it, heaven knows i am not the easiest person to deal with or read my posts at times. Kinda shoot straight from the hip and it dos rub some people wrong at times.

However for right now as they shift their focus to the MS3 platform, you have been holding the torch willingly. so that is why the Kudos go to you this time.

Last night i had to fix a problem with a car i did a long time ago, it is running a haltech e6k.
OMG i wanted to rip it out and give him my megasquirt. think i have him convinced to do it next year also... :)
Red_Baron
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Red_Baron »

er... oh my god

I just tried this code. It's removed every single idle issue I've ever had!

I now run wideband lamba target of 14.7 at idle, which previously hunted and oscillated against PID idle and MAP instability to rev then ultimately stall. This has got me idling 900rpm solid as a rock, it's quite unbelievable really.

Previously I had to idle at 1050rpm on 13:1 AFR maximum to prevent hunting issues, and I promise you it's not a tuning issue, it's the fact the engine has been designed around the knowledge that the OEM ECU had idle advance control. If you take off the stock plenum on my engine and replace with iTB's, the idle issue goes away, so I know it's plenum design, probably air shunting about or whatever, but this REMOVES it!!

Nice work indeed!
gslender
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by gslender »

Hey thanks guys for those who've tested it and stated the improvements have helped.

To ensure we know what has worked for you, can you confirm what you've actually tried and what helped (eg there are a few things that improve idle stability such as RPM Input Smoothing, AC idle up, along with tpsDOT and Clutch Lockout to name a few).

I'm aware you can disable most of my mods (I've tried to ensure most of anything I add can be turned off) so I'd like to know what you've found works and what isn't of interest (so that I can ensure it is acceptably written for Ken and gang if they wish to consider adding it to the base MS2/Extra release).

Thanks again.
G
Mazda MX5 + MS3 Pro
wheelman
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by wheelman »

Any chance the code for this version will be posted for download soon?
I haven't had a chance to try this version yet, my car still isn't running after a hardware failure in my MS2 unit.
The hardware is fixed but hasn't been re-installed in the car, anyway I'd like to test this but want the code to do a diff from the main 3.2.1 version just to see how it's different.
Wheelman (Ken Wheeler)
gslender
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by gslender »

wheelman wrote:Any chance the code for this version will be posted for download soon?
I haven't had a chance to try this version yet, my car still isn't running after a hardware failure in my MS2 unit.
The hardware is fixed but hasn't been re-installed in the car, anyway I'd like to test this but want the code to do a diff from the main 3.2.1 version just to see how it's different.
Soon is likely to be in the next 24 to 48 hours... :D

I'd like to fix a few last bugs etc and if that works out, I'll make it v2 final and release the source code too... just without docs as I've not done them yet!!

:RTFM: Docs won't get done for 1-2 weeks as I'm heading away camping for Xmas and won't get time... of which I'm sorry but you're in the same boat as the MS3 guys as they don't have docs for the same MS3 features I've ported down.

G
Mazda MX5 + MS3 Pro
wheelman
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by wheelman »

gslender wrote:
wheelman wrote:Any chance the code for this version will be posted for download soon?
Soon is likely to be in the next 24 to 48 hours... :D

I'd like to fix a few last bugs etc and if that works out, I'll make it v2 final and release the source code too... just without docs as I've not done them yet!!

:RTFM: Docs won't get done for 1-2 weeks as I'm heading away camping for Xmas and won't get time... of which I'm sorry but you're in the same boat as the MS3 guys as they don't have docs for the same MS3 features I've ported down.

G
Cool, I'll be sure to look for it.
Camping for Christmas sounds like loads of fun, where are you going?

I won't get much testing done for a while myself, I'm headed to Louisiana to visit my Son and the first grand baby. :)
He was born at the end of Nov. so this will be the first time to see him.
Wheelman (Ken Wheeler)
Greg G
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Greg G »

What you guys are leaving me alone to test! :evil:

Lol. I am testing beta 6, still a bug in the AC application off throttle. The initial value table is working much better now. Very consistent approach to idle, except when the code forgets to add the AC adder :o

Adaptive idle advance is much improved and is now (or will be when it's released) based on rpm error, not absolute rpm values (but that option remains). So I can now use it during warmup! :)

Idle is pretty much done, the small issues are in the off-throttle area and the approach to idle target. We are getting there... :yeah!:

Oh and yes, the diagnostic tab issue has been addressed..
Last edited by Greg G on Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1996 Mazda MX-5 1.6L NA6/ Mazdaspeed M45 SC/ BSP AW Intercooler/ Maruha F-cams/ 425cc RX-8 injectors/ DIYPNP

MS2/Extra test mule :)
xox1de
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by xox1de »

I upgraded to this firmware and till now so far everything is smooth, tpsdot is much more stable and no more tps noises. I can put lag factor up to 60%. Battery voltage idle pwm is a good idea, however my electrical load doesnt show a drop in voltage on battery. I left vbat cal as default 0v-29.6v. I do have occasional stall especially when the car is cold, and some time during overrun fuel cut. I guess its more of a tuning issue. My PID lockout rpm dot was 200 and Kpa was 20. My clutch lockout disable rpmdot was 500. Now changed to 500, 25, 200. Gotta give it a try tomorrow.
gslender
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: [FW MOD] ms2extra 3.2.1 beta gslender v2

Post by gslender »

Merry Xmas everyone!

I've uploaded a final release (with fixes to bugs that were in the last beta).

Source is included.

Have fun !! :yeah!:
Mazda MX5 + MS3 Pro
tpsretard2
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: [FW MOD] ms2extra 3.2.1 beta gslender v2

Post by tpsretard2 »

where do i find the option for rpm smoothing?