[FW MOD] ms2extra 3.2.1 gslender v2.2c

This is a forum for discussing the development and testing of alpha MS2/Extra code. Documentation
(Runs on MS2 and Microsquirt)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

gslender
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: [FW MOD] ms2extra 3.2.1 gslender v2.2c

Post by gslender »

ianferrell wrote:
gslender wrote:If you turned on and off the ecu many times before starting it might look like flooding due to the repeated priming.

G
That was definitely not the problem, power cycled maybe 2-4x before starting it back up... No way priming pulse would flood the cylinders to the point of hydro-lock from that.
WHAT! You had that much fuel! Seriously!

Sure it's just not too tight belt on the SC? More common that is the issue than too much fuel that it hydro-locked!

G
Mazda MX5 + MS3 Pro
tpsretard2
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by tpsretard2 »

sounds like a hydro lock to me also..

just pull the fuel pump relay in the future.
gslender
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by gslender »

ol boy wrote:I got this code loaded today and I have to say... This has improved my steady idle state both on and off load.
I know it's a pain, but it would be good to know what difference to idle and running you have from the 3.3.0a Alpha release too.
Now alpha 3.3.0a has be dropped on us. It does not have the median sliding window which has smoothed out all my inputs and makes the engine more stable. Does it share all the same code as v2.2c, or slight improvements on the new features? Is there going to be any v2.2d.e.f.g's or will the 3.3.0 take over from here?

Thanks Ryan
My plan is to review code differences between current Alpha and a 2.2d release I have - discuss changes with Ken and then look to release an update in a week.

G
Mazda MX5 + MS3 Pro
gslender
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by gslender »

tpsretard2 wrote:sounds like a hydro lock to me also..

just pull the fuel pump relay in the future.
Sure, fuel causing hydrolock is possible, but from burning a firmware? I'm doing it like 40 - 50 times and have not seen that.

So whilst technically I guess the ecu can put garbage into the registers that control the Injector outputs, and that could open the injectors for a period, that still is weird. You'd kinda think you'd hear about it more often if it was a regular issue.

G
Mazda MX5 + MS3 Pro
ianferrell
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by ianferrell »

We were quite baffled as well, relieved that it wasn't something worse tho... it spit gas EVERYWHERE, and all 4 cyls were full.
ol boy
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ol boy »

Any ideas as to why the diagnostics in TS isn't lit up? I can load a project with 3.3.0a ini. and I can click on the tab but not with 3.2.0v2.2c ini file.

Thanks Ryan

yes I'm a cheap turd and I'm running in lite mode.
306 SBFord, Torquer II EFI intake, 60 lbs injectors, 8 LS2 coils, VS Racing 7668 turbo, 4R70W, MS3x fw1.4 w/built in trans controller.
tpsretard2
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by tpsretard2 »

i have only seen it happen once, and it was a long time ago,
i was never able to reproduce it ether. which was a shame. so from then on i just pull the pump relay which kills the coils and everything else..
Hahns5.2
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Hahns5.2 »

I flashed this firmware onto my ECU yesterday and have played with it a bit. I've had MS2 running on my daily driver since September 2010 and I've fought with a noisy TPS signal the whole time, which forced me to run a high TPSdot threshold and a low lag factor to avoid false triggers. With a locker and a 5 speed, any hesitation at tip-in between shifts can make things very clunky. This median sliding window noise filtering has worked wonders. With a value of 7, I was able to take the TPS lag factor from 30 to 90, and drop the TPSdot threshold from 60 to 35, this has greatly improved driveability :yeah!:

Now, I have had one small problem. Since flashing this firmware, the Accel LED output has stopped working correctly, I have it configured to run the stock shift light on my dash, now it's glowing very faintly all the time and I only noticed it after it got dark out. I do not know if this is related to the firmware, but I know it worked fine the previous day, perhaps the transistor is toast and it's just a coincidence? The Fidle output running my electric fan still functions as normal.
95 Dakota, 5.2, 5 speed, 4x2, HX40, 12PSI, MS3X, 42lb Bosch Design 3 Injectors, AEM UEGO.
gslender
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by gslender »

Hahns5.2 wrote:Now, I have had one small problem. Since flashing this firmware, the Accel LED output has stopped working correctly, I have it configured to run the stock shift light on my dash, now it's glowing very faintly all the time and I only noticed it after it got dark out. I do not know if this is related to the firmware, but I know it worked fine the previous day, perhaps the transistor is toast and it's just a coincidence? The Fidle output running my electric fan still functions as normal.
What was it configured to do - ie explain your output settings re what triggers it to turn on etc.

G
Mazda MX5 + MS3 Pro
Hahns5.2
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Hahns5.2 »

gslender wrote:
Hahns5.2 wrote:Now, I have had one small problem. Since flashing this firmware, the Accel LED output has stopped working correctly, I have it configured to run the stock shift light on my dash, now it's glowing very faintly all the time and I only noticed it after it got dark out. I do not know if this is related to the firmware, but I know it worked fine the previous day, perhaps the transistor is toast and it's just a coincidence? The Fidle output running my electric fan still functions as normal.
What was it configured to do - ie explain your output settings re what triggers it to turn on etc.

G
Accel LED Enabled, Power On value 0, Trigger Value 1, Output Channel RPM > 5200, hysteresis 0, or Coolant > 215, Hysteresis 10 (this is to warn me in case coolant temp starts to rise higher than I'm comfortable with). I've attached a copy of my MSQ if you're interested.

Now I went out and played with it a bit. With the key on (MS powered up), the light was not lit at all, when I start the truck it lights up very dimly. I shut the truck off and turned the key back on, I changed it to TPS > 5, so by manipulating the throttle with the truck not running, the shift light responded accordingly, not lit at all below 5% TPS and fully lit above 5% TPS, then I started the truck and the light started to glow dimly, raise the throttle beyond 5% and the light fully lit up for a split second then went dim, but would glow brighter as RPMs increased. So I then configured it back to RPM but with a value of > 800 for a reasonable threshold. Again, when RPMs would rise past 800, the light would fully light for a split second then go dim but would glow brighter as RPMs rose, very bizzare.
95 Dakota, 5.2, 5 speed, 4x2, HX40, 12PSI, MS3X, 42lb Bosch Design 3 Injectors, AEM UEGO.
gslender
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by gslender »

Hahns5.2 wrote:Now I went out and played with it a bit. With the key on (MS powered up), the light was not lit at all, when I start the truck it lights up very dimly. I shut the truck off and turned the key back on, I changed it to TPS > 5, so by manipulating the throttle with the truck not running, the shift light responded accordingly, not lit at all below 5% TPS and fully lit above 5% TPS, then I started the truck and the light started to glow dimly, raise the throttle beyond 5% and the light fully lit up for a split second then went dim, but would glow brighter as RPMs increased. So I then configured it back to RPM but with a value of > 800 for a reasonable threshold. Again, when RPMs would rise past 800, the light would fully light for a split second then go dim but would glow brighter as RPMs rose, very bizzare.
Sounds like something else is switching the ALED on and off quickly - perhaps an misconfigured ignition or tacho setting ?
Mazda MX5 + MS3 Pro
Hahns5.2
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Hahns5.2 »

gslender wrote:
Hahns5.2 wrote:Now I went out and played with it a bit. With the key on (MS powered up), the light was not lit at all, when I start the truck it lights up very dimly. I shut the truck off and turned the key back on, I changed it to TPS > 5, so by manipulating the throttle with the truck not running, the shift light responded accordingly, not lit at all below 5% TPS and fully lit above 5% TPS, then I started the truck and the light started to glow dimly, raise the throttle beyond 5% and the light fully lit up for a split second then went dim, but would glow brighter as RPMs increased. So I then configured it back to RPM but with a value of > 800 for a reasonable threshold. Again, when RPMs would rise past 800, the light would fully light for a split second then go dim but would glow brighter as RPMs rose, very bizzare.
Sounds like something else is switching the ALED on and off quickly - perhaps an misconfigured ignition or tacho setting ?
I'm running a fuel only install and I'm getting RPM from the (-) coil wire from the stock PCM. Tacho output is off. Feel free to look at my MSQ if I missed anything but I can't find anything. If it helps my previous firmware was MS2 Extra 2.1.0p, and I have a 2.2 PCB.
gslender
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by gslender »

Hahns5.2 wrote: my previous firmware was MS2 Extra 2.1.0p, and I have a 2.2 PCB.
OMG :shock: I actually would expect something to have changed between that bigger jump from 2.1.x through to 3.2.x in terms of settings... I'd definitely recommend moving to a non-mod firmware first - try the 3.2.1 general release and if the problem persists, then it isn't anything to do with the modifications I've made to this firmware.
Mazda MX5 + MS3 Pro
Hahns5.2
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Hahns5.2 »

Thanks for the advice. Tonight I tried the 3.2.1 general release and it has the same problem. On a side note my truck would barely idle on the standard code because my low TPSdot thresholds caused a constant false AE trigger :lol: Losing my shift light is a small price to pay for the amazing noise reduction your firmware offers :D
gslender
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by gslender »

Just a call out to James and Ken - the user guide I've included on the first page of this post (and what this mod was based on) should really be included somewhere and easy to find. The current alpha code 3.3 etc includes this functionality, but lacks any guide or instructions on how to use it (though I do think most of the idle up stuff is fairly obvious, I'm clearly biased and unable to appreciate how daunting this might seem to new MS2 users who are wondering how to use the 3.3 or later AC idle up).

Anywho, just a thought that you can either copy the existing guide or at least remember to update the MS2 docs to include this??

G
Mazda MX5 + MS3 Pro