[FW MOD] ms2extra 3.3.0b gslender v2.4.4

This is a forum for discussing the development and testing of alpha MS2/Extra code. Documentation
(Runs on MS2 and Microsquirt)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

nitrousdave
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: [FW MOD] ms2extra 3.3.0b gslender v2.4.4

Post by nitrousdave »

I'm not twisted at all, but I would appreciate it though if you wouldn't talk to me like i'm a newbie around here. I may not post a lot but I've been around here a lot longer than you. The tune does work reasonably well, I drive this car every day and now that I'm getting close to firing up my mustang again its important to me now to get the mid/full throttle AE tuned in and working. The bimmer is basically my test bed for learning and understanding MS so I don't do anything too dumb since the mustang would be a lot more expensive to fix if I make a mistake. I'll leave this topic now and post in a hopefully more appropriate section.
http://www.nitrousdaves.com
relay boards, nitrous/transbrake modules, and fuel flowing timers
gslender
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by gslender »

...anyway...
Greg G wrote: I know, it does add a layer of complexity, but the data does support it. Needless to say the basic spark, VE tables and PID should be tuned before even attempting to mess with the advanced idle modifications :)
Note also that whilst some may think "but I can easily get very stable idle with my car without this mod", we are getting these results on 1.6l 4cyl engine with a single throttle body (pre SC), with a hot-side supercharger and water intercooler, and agressive cams, plus factory AC thrown in to just mix things up :shock: :?

Normally with the standard base ms2 code you'd struggle to get such a stable and well behaved idle. Greg's results is testament to the continued research and testing he has done in trying to extend and expand the capabilities of what can be done with managing fuel & spark during idle conditions.

Very interested to hear from other folks who have had previously difficult to tune idle and what has contributed to making it stable when using this latest mod.

G
Mazda MX5 + MS3 Pro
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

gslender wrote:...anyway...
Greg G wrote: I know, it does add a layer of complexity, but the data does support it. Needless to say the basic spark, VE tables and PID should be tuned before even attempting to mess with the advanced idle modifications :)
Note also that whilst some may think "but I can easily get very stable idle with my car without this mod", we are getting these results on 1.6l 4cyl engine with a single throttle body (pre SC), with a hot-side supercharger and water intercooler, and agressive cams, plus factory AC thrown in to just mix things up :shock: :?

Normally with the standard base ms2 code you'd struggle to get such a stable and well behaved idle. Greg's results is testament to the continued research and testing he has done in trying to extend and expand the capabilities of what can be done with managing fuel & spark during idle conditions.

Very interested to hear from other folks who have had previously difficult to tune idle and what has contributed to making it stable when using this latest mod.

G
I will probably try this; I'm tuning a track car with very aggressive cams and no idle motor at all (alphaN as well). Not looking for perfection but something manageable.
Cold with Idle Advance off (3.2.1 release) it idles great at 32 degrees. Starts with no throttle at all. But even 20 degrees fixed makes it idle too high warm. Managing spark during idle sounds great to me. In my case spark angle vs. rpm.
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
60-2 Wheel LS2 Coils, Low Z Inj
Co-Driver 1999 BMW E46 DSP car.
pigga
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by pigga »

gslender wrote:Very interested to hear from other folks who have had previously difficult to tune idle and what has contributed to making it stable when using this latest mod.
G
Hi.
I upgraded a car with automatic transmission with gslender 2.4.4 fw.
First I intended to wire a switch from the gear shifter to benefit from the "Idle up"-Option of the firmware, but this was not necessary at all.
The ignition based idle stabilization acts so quick that there is no noticeable surge when I shift from "N" to "D". Thats really OEM like.
Further more the revving up when going back from "D" to "N" has nearby totally gone as well.
The only thing I scratched my head was the adaptive idle advance table. At 1st try I filled in the table figures "upside down". I suppose this screwed up the table lookup of the firmware. I did not notice this, because TS shocs a correct gragh of the table's data anyhow. I noticed this accidentally when I looked at the "Idle advance" gauge at TS: It retarded ignition when RPM dropped and advaced when RPM was above target :roll: :mrgreen:
This made things act weird of course.
After I had corrected this....wow! Works like a charm.
P.S.: At this car I (additionally) have the weir situation that the generator delivers voltage with some (unpredictable) delay. Must have sth. to do with the excitation resistor in the dash or the wiring loom of "D+", but could not find the root cause yet).
However, the PWM Idle caused some headache: As a matter of fact, PWM idle opens wider at 13.8V in comparison to lets say 11.5V. So the "build in voltage correction" of PWM Idle (I you may call it like this) works the wrong way.
So, once the engine fires up there are 2 scenarios: Either Generator is "off" and voltage low, Idle target RPM matches. As soon as generator kicks in Voltage rises ans RMP does, too. CL Idle PID needs some time do catch RPM back to target.
Or I lover initial PWM idle value (to prevent from revving up). Then the engine coughs and stumbles due to the low duty of the PWM valve and the generator takes even longer to get working. As you can imagine, the automatic transmission does not make things easier: Not all people are willing to wait 30 seconds until RPM matches target before they shift from "D" to "N".
Once I had figured out the right voltage correction, this phenomenon had totally gone! :yeah!: Turn the key->Vromm->Shift to "D" press throttle and off you go :-)

By the way: I had to reduce EAE%ages significantly at 2 installation when I switched from "Use lowest map" to "Use average". To my eyes this indicates the advantages of the new map sampling strategy. But that's another story...
fixmann
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by fixmann »

Hi

My setup:
2l 4cyl
60-2
2wire pwm idle
Wastespark

For me the "use last value" set to "table" made the difference.
The idle was pretty good before, but alot of times when i stoped at a crossroad, the idle just skyrocket and started oscillating a few times
before it went back to normal, this is now gone.
And at idle when the coolingfan started the rpm could drop a bit, but this is also gone with the "Adaptive Pwm idle voltage compensation".

Øyvind
gslender
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by gslender »

Mazda MX5 + MS3 Pro
robd
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by robd »

Updated to this mod yesterday, v2.4.4 and wow what a difference! My map is by no means finished, but straight away after using the TPS Average my throttle was so much smoother! Before in my logs it looked like a noisey mess, now it's as smooth as a babies bum! :lol:

Thanks very much and keep up the good work. :D