Issues configuring for boost control

This is a forum for discussing the development and testing of alpha MS2/Extra code. Documentation
(Runs on MS2 and Microsquirt)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

zmanco
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by zmanco »

I recently put a new actuator with a stronger spring on and am revisiting boost control again. I want to be sure that I have the correct configuration as things appear to have changed with 3.3. I think I'm a candidate for the new approach to managing boost control here: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 34&t=53051 as I've tried multiple times without success to get to a stable system, but want to be sure that it's not a configuration issue. Firmware is 3.3.0.

Setup: I am using the DIYAutotune solenoid configured as recommended.
wastegate control.png
I started with open loop and have verified that a larger duty values increases boost.

Closed loop is configured as such:
close loop example settings.jpg
Here is a datalog. Note that now boost rises with falling boost duty, the opposite of what I believe it should be. I've tried changing from normal to inverted, and also swapping the open and closed duty values but that just results in overboosting.

Is this now normal for BC e.g. higher duty means more boost for open loop, but means lower boost for closed loop? Or do I have something improperly configured?
closed loop example log.png
Daniel
'73 240Z
Castle Rock, CO USA
slyrye
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: Issues configuring for boost control

Post by slyrye »

You might wanna check-out how you put together the pressure hoses from and thru the solenoid valve, it should be connected in a "normally open" fashion, you can check it by blowing the holes with air and observe where the air exits from. :D
MSnS'n'4G15
zmanco
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by zmanco »

I did exactly that when I put it together, and verified the valve blocked flow to the actuator when I changed the open loop table value to 100 at idle. I also verified on the road by starting with the open loop table at all zeros and confirming that boost was limited to the mechanical actuator's spring limit. As I increased the table values above zero, boost increased.
Daniel
'73 240Z
Castle Rock, CO USA
Trumpetrhapsody
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Trumpetrhapsody »

You have closed at 0% and open at 100%. Since on an internal arm style waste-gate closing the valve increases boost I would think you should have that the other way around.

I have the same MS settings as you for my external wastegate, where opening the valve increases boost. Normal polarity, closed 0% open 100%. One of us must have it backward. My logs show boost increasing as duty increases.

MS3 Documentation, but with swapped normal/inverted description. Assuming it's out of date since the 3.3.x change:
Normal - 0% output pin duty means the wastegate is fully open.
Inverted - 100% output pin duty means the wastegate is fully open.
Closed Duty - This setting controls the lowest allowed reported duty. Normally this should be 0%.
Open Duty - This setting controls the highest allowed reported duty. Normally this should be 100%.

Sounds like if you set open to 0% and closed to 100% you'd still want Normal polarity.
L28ET I-6 Motor | MSII Extra v3.0 PCB | EDIS Coilpacks & Module | Boost Control | Knock-Sense
WestfieldMX5
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WestfieldMX5 »

I was about to make a topic when I noticed yours because I have exactly the same behaviour.
Tried the same things as you, changing output polarity doesn't solve it.
Here's a log I did yesterday.
I wasn't sure if I needed to start a seperate thread, my apologies if I did.
Logfile was too big to upload so I zippend it up here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/396 ... t4.msl.zip

2016 Westfield SEiW MX5 1.8 - 6sp - Torsen - MSM turbo - MS3 Pro - 2.3kg/hp
zmanco
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by zmanco »

Just went through the various runs I've done in the last few days and found one where I had swapped open and closed settings, albeit I used 40% for closed to try to help the CL algo (I know from the open loop table that 40% will always overboost). Is this binary nature of the boost duty normal? I thought it wasn't so assumed it was a configuration error. I tried several passes with a variety of values for closed duty and they all had the same pattern where boost duty was either closed or open, never anywhere in between.

MSQ for this pass attached in case that might offer some clues. Target MAP was 200kPa.
Screen Shot 2014-03-10 at 12.06.53 MDT.png
Daniel
'73 240Z
Castle Rock, CO USA
zmanco
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by zmanco »

I had a chance for a quick run at lunch and tried swapping the open and closed values, but with boost control set for open loop. Interestingly, it made no difference vs. not swapping them.
screen_shot_2014-03-10_13-40-28.jpg
screen_shot_2014-03-10_13-40-42.jpg
screen_shot_2014-03-10_13-40-05.jpg
Normally with just the mechanical wastegate actuator operating, I see boost falling off at higher revs due to what I believe is back pressure in the too small turbine. The rising values in the open loop table compensates as you can see making me believe I have the basic mechanical and plumbing setup done correctly.

Another thought: Shouldn't the open and closed values also affect open loop? Or perhaps the open loop setting just assumes one of the two possibilities?
Daniel
'73 240Z
Castle Rock, CO USA
pit_celica
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by pit_celica »

If you get this "sawtooth" boost duty, it's because your Open Duty and Closed Duty are inverted one vs the other. As stated in the manual, set the closed duty at 0% and the open duty at 100%. In my understanding, the Open/Closed duty are only used when closed-loop control. In open loop, it follows the duty table, no matter the other settings.

As by your first post, I think it's just a matter of PID tuning. Follow Ken's tuning strategy in his new boost control thread : Set all PID at 0, set the bias table as if you were in open-loop, enable the PID parameters one at a time, slowly.

Sam
tutuur
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by tutuur »

This is exactly what your problem is, i didn't dare to say it before as i'm not that experienced but indeed the manual states it must be inverted for closed loop.

I asked why in the past and it had something to do with how the code is written...
After knowing that i changed my open-loop strategy to inverted too as i want to use closed loop in the future
zmanco
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by zmanco »

Thanks guys, in a parallel conversation with Ken, he said the same thing that closed duty should always be lower than open duty. The problem I saw is that with that configuration and polarity inverted, the engine still overboosted even with boost duty = 0. This was with 3.3.0.
Screen Shot 2014-03-11 at 15.10.20 MDT.png
I'm going to jump to 3.3 alpha 4 to partake of the new BC features and before I enable them, see if this is still an issue. Weather here in Colorado isn't going to allow me out till tomorrow though ...
Daniel
'73 240Z
Castle Rock, CO USA
tutuur
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by tutuur »

That's exactly the problem, when puting in inverted you'll have to make the whole table 100 and when lowering it you increase boost.

Don't ask me why, i've asked it before cause i found it rather confusing but i just learned to work with it and it really isn't that hard. Just work your way down from 100 instead up from 0.

No new firmware will help with any setup errors
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

tutuur, we now require more duty to give you more boost. If it doesn't, rewire, replumb, or invert the output.
Megasquirt is not for use on pollution controlled vehicles. Any advice I give is for off road use only.
tutuur
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by tutuur »

You mean it has changed with the newest firmware? I haven't updated it since the beginning of 2013
zmanco
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by zmanco »

I upgraded to 3.3.2 beta 4 and just used I/O test mode and my mouth to blow on the disconnected hoses. At 0% the valve passes boost thru to actuator which would reduce boost. At 50% it blocks all boost to actuator which would increase boost. This is regardless of the Polarity setting. So I have set Closed Duty = 0%, Open Duty = 50%, Polarity = Normal.

Do I have the proper definitions of "open" and "closed"?

If "yes", can I conclude that I have things wired/plumbed correctly?
Daniel
'73 240Z
Castle Rock, CO USA
zmanco
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by zmanco »

The issues I was having with 3.3.0 are gone with 3.3.2 beta 4. With polarity = normal, closed duty = 0, open duty = 50, the boost duty acts predictably. Obviously I have work to do setting up the initial duty table, but things are working as expected, which was not the case with the old rev.

One thing I noticed was that last night when I was testing the valve by blowing against it, at 50% it felt closed. Looking at how slowly the turbo is spooling today, I can see that is really not the case and I'll need to go with a larger duty to fully close it.

Another observation: last weekend I tuned the open loop table and expected that it would be a good starting point for initial boost duty. However, it was in the upper 60's then, and today it was barely over 30. With the same values it was overboosting by a lot.
graph.png
Daniel
'73 240Z
Castle Rock, CO USA