Logic spark wiring

This is a forum for discussing the development and testing of alpha MS2/Extra code. Documentation
(Runs on MS2 and Microsquirt)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Logic spark wiring

Post by racingmini_mtl »

As I mentioned, using the TC4427 will work with any "logic-level" coil and even those using 12V. And a single DIP-8 chip will drive 2 channels. So you would need 2 chips and 4 current limiting resistors (if needed) for 4 spark outputs. That seems simple and cheap enough for a universal solution.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

racingmini_mtl wrote:As I mentioned, using the TC4427 will work with any "logic-level" coil and even those using 12V.
We did consider that for the MS3-Pro, but went with a discrete solution. With SMD assembly it was cheaper and should be just as effective. For DIY through-hole that could be a different matter. DIPs are dead easy to install for sure.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

racingmini_mtl wrote:As I mentioned, using the TC4427 will work with any "logic-level" coil and even those using 12V. And a single DIP-8 chip will drive 2 channels. So you would need 2 chips and 4 current limiting resistors (if needed) for 4 spark outputs. That seems simple and cheap enough for a universal solution.

Jean
Works for me, if someone will whip up a schematic and component list for this, I'll be a test dummy with my next build.
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
tutuur
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by tutuur »

I've only just converted to wasted spark wired k20 cops and aside from some misfiring issues (probably down to oil in the plug holes) it works pretty good.

I'm by far not as clued up on electronics as you guys but i do like to know what exactly is the problem now. What is the reason and consequence of the coils firing occasionally with the going low setup?
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

The problem is not that the coils fire "occasionally", but rather that they fire EVERY time you turn the key on. If there is any fresh mix in a cyl, particularly in one with slightly open valves, you get a loud and annoying BANG. With the 'going low' arrangement, the processor pin has to be HIGH to block the coil from charging; if the coils and chip are powered up at the same time, that leaves a window of a few milliseconds where the chip is unable to control the coils. How long does it take to charge the coils? A few milliseconds ... A situation where the coils are powered while the processor is disabled - corrupted firmware, damaged components - leaves the coils charging out of control. This will quickly damage the coils.

The solution is twofold; the first part is the 'going high' arrangement, where the pin goes high to PERMIT charging, rather than to block it. If the processor is disabled, the coils are inert, not charging. The second step is to power the coils via the fuel pump relay. As the relay is not activated until the chip is ready, the coils are not powered until the CPU is able to control them. In the event of a processor failure, the relay deactivates and the coils are left unpowered.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Powering coils via the fuel pump relay is particularly important and is strongly recommended on all installs.

Another big reason for this discussion topic is standardisation - if the documented circuit is changed so that "going high" is the setting for logic coil outputs then it matches up with the setting used for high-current outputs with an internal BIP. That would mean most installs would then use the "going high" setting, therefore there would be less chance of new users getting the setting backwards and damaging things.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

From what I'm reading in the data sheet, no gate resistor is needed, and since I would presume the coil input pins are designed to handle the current of 5v/[input resistance], no output resistors should normally be needed either.

[schematic deleted - see revised version further down]

Very clean, very simple - at $1.64 each at Mouser, pretty cheap, too. Thoughts? Comments?
Last edited by dontz125 on Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
TTR Ignition Systems
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

It might still be a good idea to use something like a 10 Ohm resistor at the output just in case there is a short. That low value should not have an impact on the coil operation but it could just save traces and components. At worse, the resistor would act as a fuse.

On my board I do use a 10R resistor and a polyfuse to protect everything but that is likely not necessary for a DIY circuit. And it does work with the VAG coils.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
ol boy
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ol boy »

I like Jean's solution. I've used a Schmitt trigger as an output buffer for one project. Some Rc airplane ignition boxes are the going low type.

Thanks Ryan
306 SBFord, Torquer II EFI intake, 60 lbs injectors, 8 LS2 coils, VS Racing 7668 turbo, 4R70W, MS3x fw1.4 w/built in trans controller.
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

I will be ordering some of those and trying them on my next build. I do a lot of MS2 builds for Nissan KAs and SRs with LS coils (and a fair number for Miatas with stock coils too!) this will make things way simpler.
Support the developers!
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

Here's the revised schematic incorporating Jean's comments. I made the limiting resistors 15Ohms, so that the voltage regulator wouldn't be redlined for however long it took for the particular resistor to blow.
Logic Ignition.jpg
Edit - Corrected ALED number; it is of course D16, not D1.
Last edited by dontz125 on Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
TTR Ignition Systems
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

Awesome, I ordered parts this morning and the first test will be on a Honda D16 using Toyota COPs.
Support the developers!
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

I'm likely worrying for nothing but it would be good to have someone test the setup with VAG coils. I do know that it works with a 10R resistor and the voltage drop difference with a 15R will be small but I don't know how high the voltage requirements are for the different coils (for the VAG coils, if they do behave strickly as a 120 Ohm resistor as per Don's diagram then going from 10R to 15R would mean going from 4.6V to 4.4V no taking into account the voltage drop from the chip).

As for Toyota COPs, I think that also has been tested with my board so it should work here too.

Jean
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

I should be able to come up with some VAG coils for testing. I'll just scab the wiring for them in on the Honda. In fact I can test Toyota pencil, GM pencil, GM LS, Honda pencil and possibly one or 2 other logic coils as well.
Support the developers!
elaw
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elaw »

It's been a while, but I recall a while back when I did some bench testing of my VAG coils (p/n 077 905 115Q) they were *very* voltage-sensitive. They'd start to behave strangely if I fed them any less than about 4.7 volts, which seemed pretty odd to me if they're really meant to run from a nominal +5 supply. It's almost as if they were designed to be driven from a higher voltage source, but I've never had access to an OE ECU to check.
Eric Law
1990 Audi 80 quattro with AAN turbo engine: happily running on MS3+MS3X
2012 Audi A4 quattro, desperately in need of tweaking

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

If the voltage drop becomes an issue, then perhaps the solution is a dedicated regulator. The LP2950 is rated for 100mA and is self-limiting to 160-220mA; no limiting resistors are needed.If this secondary regulator taps off the S12C pad, it can take advantage of the protection diodes and input cap of the main regulator. A single output cap is the only other component required.

This is slightly more complicated than the previous diagram, but not by much.
Logic Ignition - VAG.jpg
TTR Ignition Systems
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

Parts just came in today I should be testing within a week
Support the developers!
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Did anyone test yet?
I ordered parts too, but have been away.

James

prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

Just about ready, I should be testing this weekend.
Support the developers!
wmax351
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by wmax351 »

What about on a microsquirt module? I'll be using a generic Bosch 0 227 100 211 4 channel driver, with 3 coils, for 3 cylinder wasted spark.