Ramping PWM vs. Coolant Temp

This is a forum for discussing the development and testing of alpha MS2/Extra code. Documentation
(Runs on MS2 and Microsquirt)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

midnite88
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Ramping PWM vs. Coolant Temp

Post by midnite88 »

Hey guys, I just recently got my hands on a very nice cooling fan that is oem with a built in speed controller. Said speed controller receives a PWM signal from the original PCM that ramps up accordingly with coolant temp, it also ramps to full speed over a few seconds if the A/C is turned on. I'm wondering how hard it would be to add in a small line of code to make some of the outputs PWM and have a ramping time, based on a user defined input much like the already present extra outputs are.
(ex. aLED>PWM @ 100hz, Duty Cycle Start @ 50% ramp to 95% over 5secs, input> CLT, On @ 185, hysteresis 15)

I figure this little add on could be used for other things as well, what...idk, but to build a high current driver isnt to hard that would be controlled with this.

For those interested its a 17" cooling fan from a 04 Volvo V70, I currently am running it without the speed controller on a relay, Start up current is over 50amps. I made a sheet metal shroud that is all bead rolled and broke up to fit my 88' F-150's radiator. Since install, the truck never makes it over my 190* switch point. :yeah!: With my old 16" it would creep up to 230 in traffic. :cry:
88' F150 5.0 TFS Heads Comp XE258 Cam....Block now in two pieces
93 Foxbody...under construction Barra 4.0T
94 Jeep ZJ Bone Stock
97 Jeep ZJ Bone Stock
08 Buell XB12R, custom exhaust, soon to be turbo'd and MS3'd :yeah!:
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Ramping PWM vs. Coolant Temp

Post by racingmini_mtl »

I'm sorry but saying this is a small change does not make it so. And what you're asking for would require a bunch of features that do not exist currently so it would not be a small task.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
midnite88
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Ramping PWM vs. Coolant Temp

Post by midnite88 »

No worries then, I'll figure something out. I'm sure I can build a small controller that uses a PIC chip to control the ramping and PWM based on a standard input from MSe. I was just hoping I could eliminate a bunch of little control boxes cluttering up the engine bay. I would imagine to achieve what Im after would be much like the current Idle control code when using a PWM motor, only using coolant temp as the input and not needing closed loop control. I'm very new to coding and have never actually written any of my own, so I figure I could cut my teeth on the little PIC chips.
88' F150 5.0 TFS Heads Comp XE258 Cam....Block now in two pieces
93 Foxbody...under construction Barra 4.0T
94 Jeep ZJ Bone Stock
97 Jeep ZJ Bone Stock
08 Buell XB12R, custom exhaust, soon to be turbo'd and MS3'd :yeah!: