Disable MAT based retard at idle?

This is a forum for discussing the development and testing of alpha MS2/Extra code. Documentation
(Runs on MS2 and Microsquirt)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

lagos
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Disable MAT based retard at idle?

Post by lagos »

Can we get a feature to disable mat based timing retard while Idle Advance Settings are used? Id like to tune my Mat Based Timing Retard for temperatures that the engine sees while driving, but every time I use it it just ends up taking timing out at idle while I'm sitting in traffic and heat soaking the sensor. It would be great if there was a check box under Idle Advance Settings that disabled Mat base retard when the engine is using adaptive timing.
Nitroking
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Disable MAT based retard at idle?

Post by Nitroking »

That could happen but the base problem here is that your IAT getting heatsoaked. So I would start from taking the IAT away from engine fans and wrapping it and the pipe with some heat resistance insulation material.

What temperatures are you getting in traffic? I see 40-45MAX after 30 minutes of traffic driving, in Greece as well..
Miata NBFL 1.6 (EU), GT2560R, MS2Extra, Zeitronix.
Fiesta 1.25 Zetec-SE, N/A mods, MS3, AEM.
lagos
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by lagos »

Nitroking wrote:That could happen but the base problem here is that your IAT getting heatsoaked. So I would start from taking the IAT away from engine fans and wrapping it and the pipe with some heat resistance insulation material.

What temperatures are you getting in traffic? I see 40-45MAX after 30 minutes of traffic driving, in Greece as well..

I don't need to relocated the sensor or insulate it or anything like that as my temperature reading and fuel correction is accurate. The problem is that at idle on a hot summers day, I will see the temp go up in the 100F+ range, and then quickly fall back down from that to under 100F once the car starts moving. I want to be able to remove timing when the actual moving air temp produced by my turbo is at 100F+, but I don't want that happening when the car is at an idle state. I want to keep the idle settings I created in the Adaptive Idle menu and not have those changed.

In other words, I want to be able to remove timing from my timing map, not from the idle timing override.
krisr
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by krisr »

Id like to see MAT based retard as a table similar to the spark table rather than 2 point as it is now.
Sydney, Australia
1971 Holden Monaro HQ
MS3X Sequentially fuelled 400 Pontiac
lagos
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by lagos »

That would also be a good solution, or at the very least allow us to keep it disabled unit a certain KPA.