help with modded firmware...

This is a forum for discussing the development and testing of alpha MS2/Extra code. Documentation
(Runs on MS2 and Microsquirt)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

JoseMiguel
Master MS/Extra'er

help with modded firmware...

Post by JoseMiguel »

as some may recall, im very interested in implementing a potentiometer commanded boost control as I explained some time before in this thread

http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 91&t=55039

I coded the corresponding mods, I also changed the sigs.c file to reflect *my* modded version (dont know if this is legal? im guessing it is ok as long as I keep the original copyright). Everything compiled without any problem. I flashed the new firmware in my ECU and everything went smooth. When I tried to connect to my ECU via TunerStudio, I got the typical wrong firmware error. I specified the ini from the compilation but TunerStudio wont accept it. The mod is coded over the 3.3.2 release firm. I tried using the production INI and it connected, and all of the sudden it went offline and the ECU became completely bricked. I had to reflash the production firmware using the boot jumper to bring it back to life (without the boot jumper, it was not recognized by the flashing program)

Anywhere I should be looking? Any ideas on what is my error?

thanks!
JoseMiguel
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: help with modded firmware...

Post by JoseMiguel »

My guess is that I should not modify the sigs.c file but then, how do I identify this firmware feom the production
JoseMiguel
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by JoseMiguel »

No ideas? :(
robs
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by robs »

As long as you're not releasing the software (and there you would be hitting licensing issues), there isn't much reason to modify the signatures. If the INI file needs changes, just change the appropriate parts without changing the signatures. I haven't looked into it much, but have the impression that, while TunerStudio takes most of its info from the INI, it has a few things wired up to particular versions; playing with the signatures just might confuse it.

As to how the firmware got clobbered, that could be down to quite a few things. Perhaps you didn't get the INI file changes right, or maybe TS was confused as per above, maybe your build environment isn't quite right (test this by building and testing the unmodified firmware first), or maybe your firmware changes went haywire (but impressively so if they managed to clobber some critical part of flash).

I'm not as active here as I used to be -- away from the computer weekdays -- but it's a response, if not much help.

Have fun,

Rob.