bike shift cut

This is a forum for discussing the development and testing of alpha MS2/Extra code. Documentation
(Runs on MS2 and Microsquirt)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

motorstunter
MS/Extra Newbie

bike shift cut

Post by motorstunter »

Is it possible to get an extra function for the bike shift cut? Just a single cut of 0.05 sec is fine for high revs and loads, but on low revs or loads it can be quite hard on the gearbox or too short of time to even fully engage.
So my question is. Is it possible to get a timing retard after the ignition cut that tapers off to normal for a selectable period of ignition events. And a small table of load vs rpm for the amount of retard.
Really hope this is possible as I have two bikes running on microsquirt :D

Kind regards,
Egbert
electronic
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: bike shift cut

Post by electronic »

I could use that option as well, sounds like a great idea, except I'd like shift cut to be adjustable like it is now.
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

I find myself as puzzled by the request this time as when it was first posted. Quick shifting is meant to be used at peak revs and WFO. The objective is to minimize / eliminate the loss of air flow through the engine caused when you snap the throttle shut; since the loss is greatly reduced at low revs and throttle, there is no gain to be had, and - as you note - your engine really doesn't appreciate it.

Flick the throttle. Your cush drives will thank you.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
electronic
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by electronic »

Let me try to explain what happens when I use it even at wot. First of all I have to set the kill time for .05 even though I could use shorter kill for all the gears, first to second gear has the biggest rpm drop and I had it come out of 2nd gear with shorter kill time, but the rest were smooth and quick. The reason you'd want the timing retarded for a certain amount of time after kill time is because when I shift to 2nd gear, the front end goes up in the air and I have to let out of it because of as soon as it slides in 2nd gear or even in third it goes back to full power and lifts the front wheel. If you add timing retard right after the kill time, it would eliminate that shock to the drivetrain and will add power smoother to the bike and that will eliminate the front end going up in the air. It would also be nice to have adjustable time kill for different gear since 1-2 requires the longest kill time and 5-6 the shortest time.
motorstunter
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by motorstunter »

Exactly what electronic says. A powerful bike is just impossible to have at wot all the time. The last three gears in a straight line perhaps, but on track days it can be really nice to hold your line and throttle like it is and just kick it in next gear.
Having the possibility to have different kill times for each gear would make it perfect, but maybe that's too much for ms2. But for ms3 yes please :D
electronic
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by electronic »

I was trying to use a knock sensor settings that would get activated right after ignition/fuel is killed and would retard ignition timing for 50ms or so, but I couldn't really get a straight answer if the knock sensor input is digital or analog so I kind of gave up on the whole thing. Winter is coming so I'll have some free time to play with knock sensor setting and figure out if it's digital or analog input, it would be nice if it's analog, that way it would retard timing 5 deg with 1v and 10deg with 2v and so on and so forth, but with my luck it's probably digital :lol:
slyrye
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by slyrye »

electronic wrote:I was trying to use a knock sensor settings that would get activated right after ignition/fuel is killed and would retard ignition timing for 50ms or so, but I couldn't really get a straight answer if the knock sensor input is digital or analog so I kind of gave up on the whole thing. Winter is coming so I'll have some free time to play with knock sensor setting and figure out if it's digital or analog input, it would be nice if it's analog, that way it would retard timing 5 deg with 1v and 10deg with 2v and so on and so forth, but with my luck it's probably digital :lol:
knock sensor is analog and can as well be as digital in MS2 and MS3.. :yeah!:
MSnS'n'4G15
Speedy_G
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Speedy_G »

motorstunter wrote: Having the possibility to have different kill times for each gear would make it perfect, but maybe that's too much for ms2. But for ms3 yes please :D
At least at MS3 you have already the possibilty for gear different kill times. You can set a base kill time and additional kill time for each gear change.

But the feature with a certain retard after shifting up in the lower gears would nice.

Furthermore its a bit strange, that you have to select a solenoid output.
Already mentioned that in a extra thread. There should be also the choice "none"
motorstunter
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by motorstunter »

Speedy_G wrote:
motorstunter wrote: Having the possibility to have different kill times for each gear would make it perfect, but maybe that's too much for ms2. But for ms3 yes please :D
At least at MS3 you have already the possibilty for gear different kill times. You can set a base kill time and additional kill time for each gear change.

But the feature with a certain retard after shifting up in the lower gears would nice.

Already mentioned that in a extra thread. There should be also the choice "none"
But on ms3 it says additional delay. So I don't know if that's for the solenoid delay or actual kill time.
And the need to select a solenoid is indeed a bit strange. Most will just use a shift sensor.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

It was designed for air shifting, hence the solenoid output.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
electronic
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by electronic »

Solenoid option is needed, don't take it away, and I do like the delay for it as well, it makes it a lot easier on the transmission.
electronic
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by electronic »

motorstunter wrote:
Speedy_G wrote:

But on ms3 it says additional delay. So I don't know if that's for the solenoid delay or actual kill time.
And the need to select a solenoid is indeed a bit strange. Most will just use a shift sensor.
The delay is there to sync air shifter and engine kill together, basically you want to kill the engine first, unload the transmission, and then give command to air shifter to shift in the next gear. Without it, as you trying to kill the engine you're trying to shift as well, not good for transmission forks.
Speedy_G
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Speedy_G »

but if you don't use a air shifter, you still have to sacrifice a output for a solenoid output.
Like said in my other thread and here in the last post, there should be the choice "none" for solenoid output.

For a simple quickshifter on a bike without air shifter, we only need the killtime (spark cut) for clutchless upshift. Time should depend on the gear, which i thougt it is?

TunerStudio says: "Additional time to cut spark for this shift." Sound for me like addition time to the base time spark cut.
Manual says: "...specifies the additional delay to add to the basic Delay before spark cut" sounds like additional time for the solenoid output and NOT for spark cut.

But for the use of quickshifters on a bike, we would need gear based spark cut time!! Which i think shouldn't be a big problem to add to the firmware? (Compared to the solenoid stuff)
electronic
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by electronic »

it would be nice to have adjustable shift kill time depending on the gear, that can also be used for boost by gear as well :yeah!:
electronic
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by electronic »

http://youtu.be/rR_T7B8Jp-Q?t=3m30s

This is a much better set up of the firmware, I wonder where he got the firmware.
turbo355
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by turbo355 »

I wrote that shifter code in that paticular ms2 firmware, that was one of the first versions , MS2 and 3 does have shift kill by gear ,the delay before the kill is for the shifter ram to build pressure and pull the slack typically 20ms is fine , the additional kill times add to the base kill time so say you have a base kill time of 80ms and a additional of 20ms in the 1-2 shift the you have 100ms kill time for the 1-2 shift.

For non air shifter bikes that dont need a solenoid im sure the option for no solenoid output would be good , i do like the timing ramp idea between shift , i have a few customers that would like this also , i would REALLY like the option to cut fuel and spark on the shift .
2000 Suzuki Hayabusa turbo MS3 beta testing Plug and Play standalone

http://interfacepnp.webs.com/
http://www.youtube.com/Busams
electronic
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by electronic »

Would you share the code? it would work great since I could lower my kill times in all gears and still be able to shift 1to2.
turbo355
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by turbo355 »

You can do that with the current shift code as far as i know.

dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

The latest MS2 codes have the shift cut / solenoid, but only the MS3 has the per-gear settings.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
turbo355
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by turbo355 »

Ah ok i havent messed with ms2 in a long time so i didnt know , i will share the code with anyone who wants it email me at h1050d@yahoo.com and i will send it.