IAC - Desired Idle

This is a forum for discussing the development and testing of alpha MS2/Extra code. Documentation
(Runs on MS2 and Microsquirt)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

ErnieJones
Master MS/Extra'er

IAC - Desired Idle

Post by ErnieJones »

Hi guys;

I just spent a bunch of time on the IAC side of things with my Microsquirt Module and it seems I'm finally on the downhill side :D

Along the way though I realized that IAC functionality is lacking when compared to OEM design. In OEM designs the IAC is used both for cold start and to maintain desired idle when hot (or cold). In the 'squirt design it appears that IAC is strictly a cold-start design and when hot it goes dormant.

This causes me to wonder, when you know what the RPM is of the engine at all times how come IAC support does not have desired idle as OEM's tend to?

IE, if desired idle when hot is 750, and the engine is hot, and the ECU sees a decline in crankshaft speed due to load or what have you, it moves the IAC accordingly to keep the idle speed within the desired idle spec. Same thing if the idle is too high.

This is not something I actually need so perhaps this is more a discussion to understand why the IAC system was designed with limited functionality. It's more curiosity then anything else :D
Thanks you;
Ernie
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Re: IAC - Desired Idle

Post by muythaibxr »

Have you tried the closed loop idle code?
Megasquirt is not for use on pollution controlled vehicles. Any advice I give is for off road use only.
ErnieJones
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: IAC - Desired Idle

Post by ErnieJones »

No, I haven't gotten that far yet. Does that do desired idle?

Duh! :oops:

Open loop is based on temperature and closed loop is based on idle speed (according to the IAC section in TS).

Sometimes I wonder why I even get out of bed! :D :lol:
Thanks you;
Ernie