No CL Idle or Idle Advance using MAF (Solved)

This is a forum for discussing the development and testing of alpha MS2/Extra code. Documentation
(Runs on MS2 and Microsquirt)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

PDX5
Helpful MS/Extra'er

No CL Idle or Idle Advance using MAF (Solved)

Post by PDX5 »

Closed Loop Idle and Idle Advance work fine on speed density.

Switch to MAF and Closed Loop Idle and Idle Advance do not activate. All conditions for both features are met and neither engage. Code bug?

SOLVED: The fuelload threshold for CL Idle and Idle Advance in MAF mode is based on MAFload, not MAPload. EGO Control and Over-run Fuel Cut are still based on MAP.
Last edited by PDX5 on Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ol boy
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: No CL Idle or Idle Advance using MAF

Post by ol boy »

Looks like your CL idle target was zero during the log. How did you get such a large cranking PW? My car never see higher than 3 to 4 ms when its really cold out. Doesn't start well like that.
306 SBFord, Torquer II EFI intake, 60 lbs injectors, 8 LS2 coils, VS Racing 7668 turbo, 4R70W, MS3x fw1.4 w/built in trans controller.
PDX5
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by PDX5 »

ol boy wrote:Looks like your CL idle target was zero during the log.

Yup that's what I'm trying to figure out. Do you have CL Idle and/or Idle Advance working on a MAF?
ol boy wrote:How did you get such a large cranking PW? My car never see higher than 3 to 4 ms when its really cold out. Doesn't start well like that.
We've had sub-zero (-10F) temps here in the NE and the car starts brilliantly year-round.
ol boy
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ol boy »

I turned cl idle off a while back and have been doing warm up open loop. I noticed your MAF adc6 values are nice and steady. Did you do some sort of large cap before the processor or is the internal wiring as the manual suggests? My MAF ADC line is very noisy. Could be the nature of my set up.
306 SBFord, Torquer II EFI intake, 60 lbs injectors, 8 LS2 coils, VS Racing 7668 turbo, 4R70W, MS3x fw1.4 w/built in trans controller.
PDX5
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by PDX5 »

No cap on the MAF, just wired using the manual.

James, if you happened to check in here can you take a look at the code. I find it odd that Idle Advance and CL Idle work perfectly on Speed Density, but stop working on MAF (with no other changes to the tune).
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

Idle engages based on fuelload being above a certain value, throttle being closed, and rpmdot being below a certain value. In all liklihood the fuelload is below the threshold you set.
Megasquirt is not for use on pollution controlled vehicles. Any advice I give is for off road use only.
PDX5
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by PDX5 »

muythaibxr wrote:Idle engages based on fuelload being above a certain value, throttle being closed, and rpmdot being below a certain value. In all liklihood the fuelload is below the threshold you set.
I (incorrectly) assumed fuelload was still based on MAP. What is fuelload for MAF based on (g/sec, volts, ...)?

If I idle at 6g/sec and 1.6 volts: what should my fuelload threshold be?
ol boy
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ol boy »

You need to look at the value of MAFload. Should be pretty low 15ish.
PDX5
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by PDX5 »

Great! That makes sense.

However, my cold idle MAFload is 35-40 and warm idle MAFload is 15-20. In the summer I think idle MAFload may be 10-15.

What should my threshold be for year-round operation? My other conditions (TPS, RPMdot) are pretty strict, but I can see the MAFload stalling the engine with the wrong setting. I'm still learning about the MAF tune, so feel free to correct me.

Also, what about Over-run Fuel Cutoff and EGO control: are they still based on MAP in MAF mode?
ol boy
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ol boy »

I did not touch the over run fuel cut when I switched over (it still works!). All the parameters seems to be standard MAP, TPS, CLT. EGO is still MAP i believe. What is your car/engine combo?
PDX5
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by PDX5 »

I made some datalogs and confirmed that EGO and Over-run fuel cut are still MAP based.

After adjusting the fuelload threshold based on MAFload both CL Idle and Idle Advance are engaging correctly.

Thanks for pointing that out Ken and ol boy.

I have more MAF tuning questions but I'll make a new post in the Support section.