Request: Neutral switch input for Idle Advance

This is a forum for discussing the development and testing of alpha MS2/Extra code. Documentation
(Runs on MS2 and Microsquirt)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

PDX5
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Request: Neutral switch input for Idle Advance

Post by PDX5 »

Is it possible to copy the CL PID Lockout Switch feature into Idle Advance? That would make idle engagement error-free (only active when clutch in and/or manual transmission is in neutral).

I use Idle Advance to stabilize my idle before the strict Closed Loop Idle settings kick in. Therefore I cannot use CL PID conditions to activate Idle Advance - I use manual condition with zero time delay. CL Idle has the minimum 2 second delay.

This all works very well. All that I am missing is an input from the neutral/clutch switch in the Idle Advance manual conditions. Occasionally the idle hangs if my RPM threshold isn't met. If I increase the RPM threshold, then low speed on/off throttle becomes an issue. Idle is near flawless except for this one issue.

James, would you be willing to make this change? I've poked around the code myself but if it's not too much trouble I'd appreciate the feature and maybe others will as well.
ashford
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Request: Neutral switch input for Idle Advance

Post by ashford »

the air conditioning idle up can be used or this function
PDX5
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by PDX5 »

ashford wrote:the air conditioning idle up can be used or this function
I don't see how AC idle up can be used as a condition for Idle Advance activation.
PDX5
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by PDX5 »

This is what I want in the Idle Advance conditions:

Go to Idle Advance when:
TPS is below:
And RPM is below:
And load is above:
And CLT is above:
And Neutral Lockout Switch Active: ON
And after delay:
PDX5
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by PDX5 »

I went ahead and tackled this myself by editing the pre3.4beta10 .ini file for TunerStudio and adding the clutch/neutral switch functionality to the code. Recompiled and loaded it to the megasquirt. Works perfectly :yeah!: .

I edited 3.4beta10. I'd still like to see this feature in a release. Between the clutch pedal switch and the transmission neutral switch, low speed in gear drivability is great.
Screen Shot 2015-04-07 at 11.53.44 PM.png
lagos
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by lagos »

I'm not sure how low speed drivability changed since the rpm has to be below 1075 for the feature to enable. Also, doesn't this mean that you have to have your foot on the clutch pedal at all times to initiate idle advance?
Why not just set a 3 second delay for all of those conditions to occur before idle timing kicks in? Thats how I have mine setup and never noticed any negative side effects.
PDX5
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by PDX5 »

I can say that this works flawlessly after testing in Washington, D.C. rush hour traffic for several days.

Some things to mention:
-This is for manual transmission cars
-It requires a clutch switch AND a neutral switch.
-It's for cars that are sensitive to timing changes at low speed.
-Gear ratios, flywheel weight, and vehicle weight play a large role.
-Intended use of vehicle. Low speed drivability priority.

*I think the origin of the CL PID Lockout Switch came from the Miata community (member Reverent), which has both a clutch switch and transmission switch. I'm not sure of the history of the Idle Advance feature.
lagos wrote:Why not just set a 3 second delay for all of those conditions to occur before idle timing kicks in? Thats how I have mine setup and never noticed any negative side effects.
If you're creeping in traffic for several hours... several times a day, 3 seconds adds up to a very annoying rev each time you put it in gear and roll forward. There are numerous things in daily city driving that make the 3 second delay annoying. Additionally, if you're feathering the throttle in traffic, just at the rpm threshold you'll get a jerk as ignition advance goes back and forth, high to low. The delay could be any number and it still wouldn't be error-proof. Other conditions could be higher as well, which would only increase the number of false activations.
lagos wrote:Also, doesn't this mean that you have to have your foot on the clutch pedal at all times to initiate idle advance?
That's how the original implementation works and exactly why I had to change it for my application. With the original feature, the clutch pedal input allowed CL idle, therefore you had to always have the clutch pressed... not ideal at all. SO I added another input, the manual transmission neutral switch: now CL idle is active when the clutch is depressed OR the transmission is in neutral (both give a ground signal to the clutch input pin on the ms). You can sit at a light with your foot off the clutch and transmission in neutral and idle will be active. OR you can have your foot on the clutch and the transmission in gear and idle with still be active. Logically, those two conditions are a must. A clutch pedal input alone is useless, in my experience.
lagos wrote:I'm not sure how low speed drivability changed since the rpm has to be below 1075 for the feature to enable.
So reading what I have written above, you'll see how an additional transmission neutral condition for Idle Advance is helpful. Just as CL idle is activated when the clutch or neutral switch gives it a ground signal (and all other conditions are met), the Idle Advance feature works the same.

Now I don't need a delay at all. Creeping in traffic with transmission in gear and my foot off the clutch keeps the car moving along so smoothly. As soon as I press the clutch the rpm drops straight to idle speed and Idle Advance keeps it there perfectly. Repeat a couple dozen times and it's perfectly. I don't even have to think about it. It works every time.