long tooth wheel

This is a forum for discussing the development and testing of alpha MS2/Extra code. Documentation
(Runs on MS2 and Microsquirt)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

jartzi
Helpful MS/Extra'er

long tooth wheel

Post by jartzi »

Hi,

Had couple of hours free time. So coded long tooth wheel support. Seems to used in many Japanise bikes.
Based on 3.3.3.
TunerStudio Wheeldecoder:
Spark mode -> Toothed Wheel
Trigger Wheel arrangement -> Single wheel whit long tooth
Noticed that i forgot put Missing teeth selection grayed. So should be set as 0.

I have no change to test. So could that this does not work at all.
Can made minor fixes if someone will try and not working properly.

Can not put whole SW with source to attachment because size limit.
jartzi
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: long tooth wheel

Post by jartzi »

attachments continues
jartzi
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jartzi »

And again
jartzi
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jartzi »

Last one
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

how would i go about using this?
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

What hardware is needed and make sure you also post the LICENSE.txt

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
jartzi
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jartzi »

jsmcortina wrote:What hardware is needed and make sure you also post the LICENSE.txt

James
Same as 3.3.3 release My change only adds wheel decoder which have one longer tooth for sync.
grom_e30 wrote:how would i go about using this?
Spark mode -> Toothed Wheel
Trigger Wheel arrangement -> Single wheel with long tooth
jartzi
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jartzi »

Forgot license
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

i used the 3.3.3 loader but swapped the s19 file and ini files is that all i would need to do then flash the f/w
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

scratch that i had to add the other files to... logs were taken using the trigger wheel from a 99 gsxr 600 i was using a drill to spin the wheel non running engine, but as far as i can tell its working. the tooth1 angle i guessed at the first tooth after the log one at about 70*.
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

When James asks about hardware he is talking about VR sensing HW.
Megasquirt is not for use on pollution controlled vehicles. Any advice I give is for off road use only.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

muythaibxr wrote:When James asks about hardware he is talking about VR sensing HW.
That's a very important part because it will not work with any of the standard VR circuits used on all the MS board variants regardless of what you did in the code.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

it synced up using a v3 microsquirt and a gsxr vr sensor see the log i posted.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Have you checked the timing and how stable it is throughout the RPM range?

By the nature of the signal, there is no polarity which has all the edges with a nice fast transition. That is what is needed for a stable and consistent timing. If your setup works then good but I wouldn't bet that this isn't the exception rather than the rule. But I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

no not tested on a running engine was just turning it in a drill no coils ect connected, i very much doubt i will get to test it in real life as i swapped out the long tooth trigger for a 24-2 from a later bike and the head has to come off to change it back. but i was getting a solid rpm reading off it as fast as my drill would spin.
jartzi
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jartzi »

racingmini_mtl wrote:Have you checked the timing and how stable it is throughout the RPM range?

By the nature of the signal, there is no polarity which has all the edges with a nice fast transition. That is what is needed for a stable and consistent timing. If your setup works then good but I wouldn't bet that this isn't the exception rather than the rule. But I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Jean
Hall would be best sollution but if there is enought capasitor in input of VR detection circuit it will keep signal high enought that zero crossing does not happend till negative edge makes negative pulse. Yes it is noise sensitive. If i remember right least uSmodule which i have need small negative voltage to trig zero crossing.
Now SW detect long tooth when tooth is 25% or more longer than tooth distance. Shorter tooths are so short that this 25% value can be reduced.
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

The original project by matt_gsxr used a prefilter that was a set of components equivalent to a 555 in Schmitt trigger configuration. His comments suggested that a standard 555 could probably be used, but he wanted to be able to adjust the threshold voltage. He also included a pair of clipping diodes the input of the filter.

Given the way the 1L3S decoder works (as I understand it), it's entirely possible that an engine could run for days without a sync loss. That said, the unpredictability of a long tooth's zero crossing makes it nearly as likely that a given engine might drop sync constantly. The prefilter / conditioner really is needed to ensure reliable operation.
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
patrickmccaherty
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by patrickmccaherty »

Could this be used for a wheel with a single long tooth and nothing else? I am trying to get fire from a SYM single cylinder 250cc engine.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

patrickmccaherty wrote:Could this be used for a wheel with a single long tooth and nothing else? I am trying to get fire from a SYM single cylinder 250cc engine.
That would be basic trigger, or possibly trigger return.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
patrickmccaherty
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by patrickmccaherty »

Ok thank you. I will try that. I believe I have tried basic trigger.