Old manuals location/links?

This is a forum for discussing the development and testing of alpha MS2/Extra code. Documentation
(Runs on MS2 and Microsquirt)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Old manuals location/links?

Post by piledriver »

There are still herds of v2.2 boards out there, the new manuals explicitly do not cover them.
DIYautotune still sells v2.2 based kits.

The I/O use table specifically comes in handy setting things up.

Can't seem to find the old manuals, might be a good idea to at least link them on the manual page., even with a disclaimer they are no longer updated.
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Old manuals location/links?

Post by DaveEFI »

Click on the 'Manuals' link at the top of this page.
Click on 'Megasquirt-1 web manuals'

The v2.2 info is there.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

Thank you, that's a great start but more than a couple people run MS2 on V2.2 boards.
For awhile that was the ~only way to run MS2.

The MS2 manuals covered all the mods v2.2 users needed to run MS2 with all options.
Quite different than MS1.
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

I'm not sure anything has been deleted. It's just that things have moved on a long way from the V2.2 board. So it will just take more time to find the info you need, as there is much more now.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

All the v2.2 specific illustrations and annotations are deleted from the new manuals:
The old manuals are still needed, even if imperfect.

I understand having to draw a line somewhere when moving forward, but I doubt scrubbing the old documentation off the internet was the intent.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

The V2.2 board was superceded a decade ago.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

You can still buy one today, and they likely make up s significant fraction of the installed base.
Marking the old manuals "legacy/no longer updated" or such is sensible, but pretending the 2.2 boards don't exist is rediculous.
elaw
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elaw »

James,

I've got to say I'm with piledriver on this one. On DIY's website where you can purchase systems with V2.2 boards, it sure doesn't say they were superseded a decade ago! You and I and a lot of other people know that's the case, but the guy who bought one yesterday might well not. And the owner of the one that's on my bench, who got it with a project car he purchased a few months ago, didn't either.

Not that any of that is your fault of course!

And I have great respect and appreciation for the effort you've put into updating the manuals. But rather than making them disappear, what would be the harm in keeping those old web pages available, perhaps with a header or footer clearly indicating the pages are no longer being maintained?
Eric Law
1990 Audi 80 quattro with AAN turbo engine: happily running on MS3+MS3X
2012 Audi A4 quattro, desperately in need of tweaking

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
jsiedlicki
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by jsiedlicki »

You can use the Internet Archive (wayback machine) to see an old snapshot of the documentation site.

Here is an example. You can pick any time frame you like to see different updates, this one is from 3/12/2014 before the docs changed.

https://web.archive.org/web/20140312173 ... index.html
MS3-Pro 1st Gen | Honda K24 Supercharged
MS3/MS3X | SB Ford 347 stroker
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

jsiedlicki wrote:You can use the Internet Archive (wayback machine) to see an old snapshot of the documentation site.

Here is an example. You can pick any time frame you like to see different updates, this one is from 3/12/2014 before the docs changed.

https://web.archive.org/web/20140312173 ... index.html
...and you can slurp the whole thing to your hard drive using wget...
Not really the point though.
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

Unfortunately the restrictive robots.txt setup on the original kept the internet archive from saving the vast majority of the old docs, so while the "front page" looks like it used to there is little>no actual information when you start trying to look up stuff.

There is nothing to slurp with wget, even ignoring robots.txt (which is an option -e robots=off ).

Still hoping this gets corrected, even if its just a zipped downloadable set of html files or a long pdf/screen dump.

v2.2 boards were sold for what, 12 years? (and running)
Pretending they never existed helps no one.

It wouldn't surprise me if they made up at least a third of the installed MS systems in use.
crash914
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by crash914 »

Yep, Pile, I am still running my v2.2 on fuel only. Car was off the road for 10 years as life took its toll. Now running I am researching adding spark and Vr sensor to my old board. At this point, I might just break down and my a new setup. I don't really want to part with the $$ though as my unit functions just fine.

I am still not 100% sure of the modifications I need to make and am combining all documentation to try to figure it out. Thus far, I am still running fuel only even though I have installed a toothed wheel and VR sensor and have the prototype conditioning circuit on the bench.

It seems that it is just mainly us VW type aircooled folks that keep bringing this up..
Porsche 914---megasquirted
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

elaw wrote:I've got to say I'm with piledriver on this one. On DIY's website where you can purchase systems with V2.2 boards.
Where?

I just checked the MS2 kit section and the V2.2 board is not listed.

MS1 can be bought on a V2.2 mainboard. The MS1 web manuals are largely unchanged aside from a refresh to use TunerStudio screenshots, so whatever V2.2 info was there before is still there.

However, after discussion with the guys at DIYA, I have put the old MS2 web manuals back online, so now you can be reminded of how tired they were...

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
elaw
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elaw »

Yeah I didn't mean to imply that you could buy a MS2/v2.2 system specifically. But you can buy MS1 partial and full kits with that board, and there are a lot of MS1/v2.2 systems in the field where the owners might want to update to MS2... the one that's sitting on my bench included!

I'm planning on telling him that if he upgrades to MS2, it would be best to go to a V3 mainboard too. But truthfully in circumstances like his the case for doing that is pretty weak. He's running batch-fire high-impedance injectors with a distributor and PWM idle valve - all of which can be handled nicely by the 2.2 board. From a practical perspective, what would be accomplished by replacing the mainboard (at considerable expense)?
Eric Law
1990 Audi 80 quattro with AAN turbo engine: happily running on MS3+MS3X
2012 Audi A4 quattro, desperately in need of tweaking

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

elaw wrote:From a practical perspective, what would be accomplished by replacing the mainboard (at considerable expense)?
Better power supply and better injector drivers. I personally wouldn't go with a V3 if I already had a V2.2 available for this but that will be more susceptible to noise and failures so a bit more care will be needed to avoid these. There are numerous successful MS2/V2.2 installs.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

Thank you for putting the doc back up, i know its old/tired, but it is needed as it covers things the lovely new docs do not.

The setup with the MS2X adapter board driving a MS3X works extremely well/trouble free with a V2.2 board, and even a V1.01 board.
Also ~eliminates the need to modify the mainboard at all to go fully sequential on a /4, save for perhaps routing out CAN and such on SPRx
(for the record I have 1 v2.2 and two v1.01 boards on hand, no v3s yet)

Unloading the early boards like that (esp offboard ignition drivers) works wonders.

IIRC that MS2/ms3x adapter was your suggestion, works very well as a combo.