Acceleration Ignition correction

This is a forum for discussing the development and testing of alpha MS2/Extra code. Documentation
(Runs on MS2 and Microsquirt)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

ruzki
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Acceleration Ignition correction

Post by ruzki »

Ok, one last post !
Matt Cramer wrote:The only good explanation I've seen for this feature - when not being used as a correction for an ECU with a second rate wheel decoder - is to reduce driveline shock loads by making throttle response softer.

I have also seen a lot of baloney reasons people have asked for this.
@ Matt Cramer: Thank you for your great post ! This is exactly the reason i would use this feature for !
You asked a question without giving the reasons why you though such a feature was needed?
Do i need a reason to ask this question ?? NO !
I wanted to know why the developers think that this feature is not needed, when other ECU Manufacturers and also lots of people here in this forum think they need it“ See i noticed that a lot of people in my "area" changed from Megasquirt to the above mentioned ECU and i asked myself why !?
DaveEFI wrote:If you have a particular problem MS related, plenty of experts here will help with it. Including those who actually write the software, who I, for one, am incredibly grateful to.
Look at my join Date, i´m almost running the MS-2 for 8 years and have done aprox 100k Kilometers on it. I would never ever call myself an "Expert" but after 8 years of tuning the MS i pretty sure that i know what i´m doing

@kjones6039 and DaveEFI This is sadly not true nowadays there are manufacturers who will give you a better service and direct contact via Team Viewer, e-Mail or Forum with an ECU half of MS3-Pro price. I made this experience myself !

After so many Years and all the effort i put in the Megasquirt it is sad to see that the Megasquirt is getting passed by other´s so quickly..
But all this is OT and does not give me an answer to the question in the first post.

I know that James is quite OK with german language @ James maybe you should consider "Betriebsblindheit"
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

IMHO, I think the OP is just looking for a beef and grabbed onto a topic just to make that beef!

This thread is going absolutely nowhere, don't you think?

Let's move on to something more constructive.

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

kjones6039 wrote:IMHO, I think the OP is just looking for a beef and grabbed onto a topic just to make that beef!
Agreed.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

*WOW* This turned into a massive muck-throwing explosion in short order. I'm not a mod here, but I'm going to stick my oar in anyway.

If I may be so bold, pretty much everyone except Matt and Ken (muythaibxr) seriously over-reacted. The OP started by mentioning this interesting feature he recently came across, then asked a QUESTION, "why don't the devs want to include this." While some of his first post may have been poorly phrased, the language may be a factor here. Useful comments and replies were made explaining what the option under discussion can be and is used for, along with notions that it does in fact have a legitimate use on some ECUs, finishing with reasons why it isn't so necessary on the MS. Question, answer, explanation - a civil discussion.

Since others were able to achieve this, the comments of "troll", "silly", and "beef" by people who should know better were out of line.

I'm going back to my coffee, and my own list of unreasonable bike-related suggestions.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

I thought my first question was reasonable.
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
60-2 Wheel LS2 Coils, Low Z Inj
Co-Driver 1999 BMW E46 DSP car.
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

ruzki wrote:Ok, one last post !

[snip]
DaveEFI wrote:If you have a particular problem MS related, plenty of experts here will help with it. Including those who actually write the software, who I, for one, am incredibly grateful to.
Look at my join Date, i´m almost running the MS-2 for 8 years and have done aprox 100k Kilometers on it. I would never ever call myself an "Expert" but after 8 years of tuning the MS i pretty sure that i know what i´m doing

@kjones6039 and DaveEFI This is sadly not true nowadays there are manufacturers who will give you a better service and direct contact via Team Viewer, e-Mail or Forum with an ECU half of MS3-Pro price. I made this experience myself !

After so many Years and all the effort i put in the Megasquirt it is sad to see that the Megasquirt is getting passed by other´s so quickly..
But all this is OT and does not give me an answer to the question in the first post.
"
If there are better ECUs around at half the cost of MS where the support is excellent, go for it.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

Also look at the number is posts. Doesn't look like a lot of effort to me
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
elaw
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elaw »

For what it's worth...

I can see another scenario where this feature would be useful although as in other scenarios, it would be a bit of a band-aid.

If an engine is running very close to the knock limit, and tends to momentarily go lean on tip-in, that lean condition could cause knock. And a short period of timing retard on tip-in could correct that.

Now of course the "right answer" in the situation above would be to fix the momentary lean condition via AE, but that's not always 100% doable.
Eric Law
1990 Audi 80 quattro with AAN turbo engine: happily running on MS3+MS3X
2012 Audi A4 quattro, desperately in need of tweaking

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
sd1nl
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by sd1nl »

Quick and dirty way to implement "tip in retard" into the system could be to add tpsdot as a secondary ingnition load.

You could blend this in then as a secondary additive table.
Last edited by sd1nl on Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rover Vitesse 3.5
MS3 full-sequential
36-1 triggerwheel
Direct coil control
Innovate LC1 wideband lambda sensor
Paul_VR6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Paul_VR6 »

Every time I have thought I needed this, it was ae related. Sometimes widebands are slow.
-Paul
1992 Corrado SLC 3.6 VR6 11.38@120 - MS3 Pro Ultimate - Microsquirt I/O - Can EGT - Racepak IQ3s
kptuned.com - Megasquirting the World! Megasquirt Sales, Service, Tuning and More!
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

Paul_VR6 wrote:Every time I have thought I needed this, it was ae related. Sometimes widebands are slow.
Recall a video about X-tau recommended using narrow band for tuning it.
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

Paul_VR6 wrote:Every time I have thought I needed this, it was ae related. Sometimes widebands are slow.
What then are you suggesting - more TPS-AE at that point?
Peter Florance wrote:Recall a video about X-tau recommended using narrow band for tuning it.
Are narrow bands significantly faster? How would you tune this in? Am I correct to presume that when this is a problem, the lean spike at tip-in is sufficient to cross the 14.7 border, and it needs to be tuned back to the other side?
TTR Ignition Systems
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

Narrow bands are faster. In batch I run as many squirts as possible.
In sequential setups, I set end of squirt before intake valve opening. That seems to help a lot. Of course 100% lag factor on MAP.
I think this was the video:

https://youtu.be/0ItkpVofKLw
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
Paul_VR6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Paul_VR6 »

dontz125 wrote: What then are you suggesting - more TPS-AE at that point?
Yes
-Paul
1992 Corrado SLC 3.6 VR6 11.38@120 - MS3 Pro Ultimate - Microsquirt I/O - Can EGT - Racepak IQ3s
kptuned.com - Megasquirting the World! Megasquirt Sales, Service, Tuning and More!
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

Thanks, guys.
TTR Ignition Systems