LCD Dashboard suggestions?

This is a forum for discussing the development and testing of alpha MS2/Extra code. Documentation
(Runs on MS2 and Microsquirt)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

robs
Master MS/Extra'er

LCD Dashboard suggestions?

Post by robs »

Hi all,

You may have seen my first effort at a small configurable dashboard for MS2. I have it installed in both my MS cars and am pretty happy with the way it works. Nice to see the info whenever I drive, without having to lug a laptop around.

More for the intellectual exercise than any good reason, I'm now planning to upgrade it to a small TFT LCD colour display. To start with, I've been working with a $5 1.8" 128x160 pixel display. Might be a bit on the small side, so I've got a 2.8" 240x320 display on the way ($7 -- talk about lashing out!). It's been fun writing the graphics primitives for it, and performance looks pretty good. I am about to start on implementing the actual gauges and would like to hear if anyone has any suggestions.

I'll start with a mock-up image of one configuration, then explain the concepts and gauges.
dash.png
Assuming you've got a modern monitor, that tiny thing is about life size. Notionally there are 8 rows of 2 columns of slots. A gauge can occupy one or more slots. In the picture:
  • the two gauges at the top are simple numerics. Like all but one of the other gauges they only update at intervals (e.g. 1 sec) with your choice of mean, min, max, or last sample.
  • Next down is a simulated green/orange/red LED bar graph which would typically be used for RPM. It occupies two slots and is updated every poll (i.e. 16 times per second).
  • Next is a range gauge, occupying 2x2 slots, showing the range of recent samples in orange, the mean in white, optional 'tick' marks for the ideal value, and reporting the mean in text at the right. AFR and PW might be good here.
  • The last two are instances of the same simple gauge occupying 2x2 slots with configurable blue-black-red transition points. Not bad for things that don't vary much like CLT or VBatt. Was thinking of adding a warning blue[black]red LED to it as an extra alert when the needle is straying out of the happy range.
I had thought of circular gauges. Fiddly to program and not really room to put a readable scale around the outside. And four dime-sized gauges would look a bit dinky. Could certainly combine 6x2 slots to make one decent sized, readable gauge. The larger display would obviously allow 4 more sensibly sized gauges -- perhaps the size of a quarter.

Another sort of gauge I might do is a rolling history. Probably 4 slots, drawing a pixel or two for each sample, a bit like MegaLogViewer, which might let you look back in time a few seconds when something strange happens.

Another would be simple boolean lights like TunerStudio has for WUE, TPSAccel, etc.

These displays include an SD card slot behind them. It is tempting to write everything sampled to an SD card. Two concerns though: 1. How to mount the display neatly while still having access to the slot. 2. Potential performance impact of the extra SPI bus traffic. Also, since the MSP430 only has 512 bytes of RAM, I can't write a FAT32 compatible file system, just raw blocks.

Like the first one, I have no intention of producing or marketing this, It's just for my ongoing learning and interest. But I would appreciate any gauge suggestions, and will happily share the completed schematics and code if anybody wants to build one for themselves (only one person took me up on this with the earlier version, and I never heard how he got on with it).

Have fun,

Rob.
ol boy
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: LCD Dashboard suggestions?

Post by ol boy »

I had good luck with a 4D systems display

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YuxX_Jf3_ ... e=youtu.be

Tou can get upto a 7 inch screen. The data is transmitted through UART. I wish they had CAN bus on the uC.
306 SBFord, Torquer II EFI intake, 60 lbs injectors, 8 LS2 coils, VS Racing 7668 turbo, 4R70W, MS3x fw1.4 w/built in trans controller.
robs
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by robs »

Thanks for that Ryan. Those displays look good and a more sensible approach than I've been taking, but I'm enjoying doing it the hard way, and was more on the hunt for good gauges to implement on the LCD rather than other alternatives to the laptop.

Certainly room for a lot of info on your 4D System display. Did you program it from scratch or was there existing library code for bar and digital gauges etc.? Touch screen could open some interesting possibilities.

Have fun,

Rob.
ol boy
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ol boy »

They have an IDE that has all the gauges, drag and drop on to a page. There is a 600 page pdf of all the internal functions and what the syntex is supposed to look like. The code base is a mix of pascal, c, and basic.

I did a transmission controller display and created several pages to navigate through. Worked well, at the same time i was datalogging to the uSD card, files saved as .csv for easy viweing in mehalogviewer.
306 SBFord, Torquer II EFI intake, 60 lbs injectors, 8 LS2 coils, VS Racing 7668 turbo, 4R70W, MS3x fw1.4 w/built in trans controller.