Speed input for uS

This is a forum for discussing the development and testing of alpha MS2/Extra code. Documentation
(Runs on MS2 and Microsquirt)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Jazracing
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Speed input for uS

Post by Jazracing »

Since the cam sensor is useless for my application, I was wondering if there would be any way to use that input as a speed input. I can't imagine it would hurt the cycle time seeing as how the reading would be the same as that of a cam sensor. Would it be possible to write that into the code? I just think it would be useful for dash readouts/logging or maybe for use as a speed limiter or something. I mean, the hardware is there and unused, so why not use it?

Thanks,

Jazz
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Speed input for uS

Post by nathaninwa »

That's a specific ms3 feature

Here's a link with a link in the thread. Also gives an input option for possible logging

http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 01&t=60911
Volvo 940, 2jzge, MS3Pro, daily
240Z, 2JZ, MS3Pro boost control
Jazracing
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Jazracing »

You know, I understand that there are certain things that they want to keep as MS3-only features, but this doesn't seem to be a logical one. There are several applications for something like a uS where a speed sensor option would be very useful, and without the need for a piece of hardware as complex as an MS3. Granted, this would usually apply to bikes, but there are other applications, such as mine, that it would be good for as well. IMO, it doesn't make much sense for them to still be selling a product as being supported, and always answer with "tough luck" when it comes to implementing simple features just because they want to force you into an upgrade. That just sounds like something Apple would do.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Jazracing wrote:You know, I understand that there are certain things that they want to keep as MS3-only features, but this doesn't seem to be a logical one. There are several applications for something like a uS where a speed sensor option would be very useful, and without the need for a piece of hardware as complex as an MS3. Granted, this would usually apply to bikes, but there are other applications, such as mine, that it would be good for as well. IMO, it doesn't make much sense for them to still be selling a product as being supported, and always answer with "tough luck" when it comes to implementing simple features just because they want to force you into an upgrade. That just sounds like something Apple would do.
The product is fully supported: if you find a bug, it will be fixed and if you have problems using it, you'll get help. What you won't get are new features (and even that is not completely true).

Try to get any other ECU maker to update an older model with features from their newer models and see what they respond (actually, try to get them to implement anything and/or to talk with the main designer/developer; I doubt that will get you anywhere with most of them).

So if you want something more than what is currently available and advertised, there is a very good chance you will either need to implement it in the code yourself or use a third party external device. And by the way, if you do try to modify the code you will find out that even quite simple things are not that easy to implement even if you do know the current source code quite well. The memory is quite full so you will likely have to do quite a bit more than simply add the code for the feature you want. And that is quite time consuming and can lead to a lot of unexpected and undesirable side effects.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum