$15 MS2 dashboard

This is a forum for discussing the development and testing of alpha MS2/Extra code. Documentation
(Runs on MS2 and Microsquirt)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Bojerne
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: $15 MS2 dashboard

Post by Bojerne »

Bojerne: posted from Munich on Thursday, so you should have it pretty soon.
Sounds bloody brilliant ! Thanks. Send me an email and we'll work out the payments :)
logicaluk
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by logicaluk »

hi rob
im intrested, love the idea makes a very useful upgrade to microsquirt.
hows the builds going? ill order one as soon as your sending them out.
a couple of thorts for v2/3
as a microsquirt user i need the d9 plug/socket interface as the jack plug is well buried under my dash.
if you split the unit in to 2 parts and have the screen on the end of a wire that would allow for slimmer mounting options, also the d9 could plug into the main box with usb socket for plugging in a laptop so people don't need to buy a separate usb interface this could also be used for my biggest wish data logging with a switch between running screen and data logging and laptop connection.
the data logging could be done on a loop
don't know if any of the is do able.
Dan

email sent
robs
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by robs »

Got your e-mail, missed your posting here till now.

Builds are completed and several have been sent out (MS2, uSquirt and MS3). No bad reports back, but only one "up and running" report so far. Takes time getting it installed.

Not too sure on the problem you outline. The DB9 connector is optional -- and I don't ship it with one. There's just a 3-pin connector with Tx,Rx and Gnd to send to corresponding pins on the MS RS-232 connector. The board can be remote from the display -- in my car a 15" 8-conductor cable goes from the display (mounted in the old tacho enclosure) to a box tucked into the firewall behind the cluster housing the board. Not sure how much further away you could mount it before timing problems emerge.

The USB idea for V2 could be pretty easy or near impossible depending on what you want. Easy would be for this to just passively echo to a USB serial everything it retrieves from the MS. That would support a passive data displayer/logger of some sort. Much, much harder would be to support being interrogated by TunerStudio. I think your idea might be to have a dedicated multiplexer which would accept serial requests from the dashboard AND from another connected laptop and pass them through to the MS and return the responses to the correct device. Tricky and more suited to CAN bus I suspect.

Have fun,

Rob.
logicaluk
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by logicaluk »

I have recived alot of great support from rob, I think hes done a great job, getting the look right. I had to installed it upside down, due to the spindle being in the way, rob has assured me this is an easy fix).
Image20180411_213643 by logicaluk, on Flickr

Image20180412_150257 by logicaluk, on Flickr

Image20180412_151158 by logicaluk, on Flickr

i havent fitted it to the car yet, its only built up into a spare dash
Dan
robs
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by robs »

Just capping off this thread. In e-mail, logicaluk pointed out that this topic is more related to expansion boards, so I have opened a new thread there.

Have fun,

Rob.