More efficient data logging

This is a forum for discussing the development and testing of alpha MS2/Extra code. Documentation
(Runs on MS2 and Microsquirt)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Dennis_Zx7r
Experienced MS/Extra'er

More efficient data logging

Post by Dennis_Zx7r »

I don't need about three quarters of the fields in the standard data log, like Boost psi, MAF, MAFload etc. and would like to disable their logging.
I'm not talking about selecting the field to log in TS like it seems to be possible on the MS3.
This would make handling the data for me way easier, especially as I have to fall back to Excel for some things where I think MLV isn't enough (MLV doesn't mind the missing fields). I guess it may improve data rate a little, too.

Is there some place in the firmware where I can exclude single values from being transferred while logging? I guess there has to be a function like strcat() which assembles all variables prior to sending them or something like that.

edit: Guess I found it at the end of ms2extra.ini, starting at line 5692 (Ver 3.4.2).
My project: Link
Dennis_Zx7r
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: More efficient data logging

Post by Dennis_Zx7r »

Ok, in the meantime I threw out all the variables I'm not interested in, and managed to compile it.
After compiling, I uploaded it to the MS, which worked as it should. Uploaded Msq, checked all sensors - everything works fine. However, when datalogging, I still get ALL the values in the log, just like with the standard firmware.
I'm pretty sure I uploaded the right version (checked timestamp after compiling). What did I do wrong?

edit again:
I figured out that the .ini isn't part of the compiled code and is just loaded in the TS project. Which seems to be enough for what I want to accomplish. :yeah!:

I obviously misunderstood how the communication works between TS and the MS. I first thought TS only gets sent only some of the variables when datalogging. It seems however, that TS gets updated by the MS with ALL variables constantly, and therefore you can just select what to log in this .ini file without messing around with the firmware. So this has more to do with your logging software instead the firmware. Which makes sense when you think about it. Captain Hindsight to the rescue!

tl;dr: If you want to throw some stuff out of the logs in which you aren't interested, you can comment them out in the .ini file described above. This however will not improve your data rate in any way if I presume correctly, but makes tidies up the log, reduces file sizes and makes handling easier if you're putting your logs through Excel or something like it.
My project: Link
robs
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: More efficient data logging

Post by robs »

Dennis_Zx7r wrote:This however will not improve your data rate in any way if I presume correctly, but makes tidies up the log, reduces file sizes and makes handling easier if you're putting your logs through Excel or something like it.
It is possible to grab part of the "OutputChannels", this (I believe) is why all the most important values are near the beginning. For the mini-dashboard, I use the 'r' command to just retrieve a few early values. I don't think it'd be too hard to change the .ini file to use a subset allowing Tuner Studio to poll faster and/or reducing work for the MS. You'd start by changing the "getCommand" to "r\x00\x07\off\nbytes" (using suitable values for off and nbytes) and then remove the unwanted variable descriptions just below.

Have fun,

Rob.