Ignition amplifier which?

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

jasaircraft
Super MS/Extra'er

Ignition amplifier which?

Post by jasaircraft »

Hi,

Ive got the chance to buy a cheap kenne bell ignition amplifier (it works by increasing coils primary voltage)

would you guys say this is better that a typical msd, crane cams, etc type of amplifier?

I tried the kenne bell on a subaru and it did work, although not sure if it was a coincidence I saw plug gaps wear out quite fast...
jasaircraft
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Ignition amplifier which?

Post by jasaircraft »

????
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Personally, I wonder why bother with that stuff? Use the coil driver built-in to the MS mainboard, or some simple BIP add-ons for wasted or COP. That seems like kind of a "snotty" reply, so I didn't offer it before...
jasaircraft
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by jasaircraft »

yeah, the thing is that when the boost is too large or the coils are not that great, even though they are new... you need something stronger
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Why not get good coils???
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

Not a boosted guy myself, but I get the impression you often need to close up the plug gap as you start mashing things tighter into the chamber. What's your gap like, vs stock?
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
jasaircraft
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by jasaircraft »

Getting better coils is always an option, but in the case of this rb26 engine, I would like to retain the stock fitment appearance. It has happened to me in the past when tuning subarus for instance that we have bought new okada coilpacks and still have spark blow out when boost is over 25psi with good wire set and around 0.8mm gap. So maybe what needs to be stronger is pre-coil?
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

I also think that you are "fixing" the wrong part of the problem.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
HidRo
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by HidRo »

Usually, for the plugs BKR7E, the recommendation is 0.7mm, and this is not for high boost, so maybe you are using a too wide gap on those plugs?
Golf II + 1.8T 20V + MSII V3.0 http://eight620vt.tk/
ttxpc
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by ttxpc »

Msd 6 series great for street, 7's and above eat plugs
1965 Ford XP hardtop ms3x 1.5.2 full sequential twin turbo 363 on e85/flex
858rwhp 20psi 9.28@153
jasaircraft
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by jasaircraft »

ttxpc wrote:Msd 6 series great for street, 7's and above eat plugs
sorry, what do you mean by 7's?
mrx79
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by mrx79 »

I think he means MSD7 boxes.

concerning your problem: i agree, it fixed only half the problem. But also tightening plug gap is also not my favorite solution either.
From what i know, BKR7's often comes 1.1mm gapped from NGK (at least where i buy them).

Boosting coils primary voltage can increase ignition energy, but it's basicaly helpfull if you deal for example with a single coil high rpm engine, where you just don't have the dwell time available for good power.

I would first change to the best coil you can get your hands on, together with good wiring and a good coil driver and if all that is not possible or does not help, increase coil voltage.

Experimenting myself for a friends car on such a device, as he has to stick to his single coil distri on a 8krpm engine.
We improved all the wiring and connectors and this already made a noticeable difference against the 22yrs old stock wiring harness.
Honda CRX B16A1 Turbo | MS3 running | pre1.5.1 beta7 Firmware | 24/1 Dual Wheel | COP ignition | 725cc ID injectors
jasaircraft
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by jasaircraft »

mrx79 wrote:I think he means MSD7 boxes.

concerning your problem: i agree, it fixed only half the problem. But also tightening plug gap is also not my favorite solution either.
From what i know, BKR7's often comes 1.1mm gapped from NGK (at least where i buy them).

Boosting coils primary voltage can increase ignition energy, but it's basicaly helpfull if you deal for example with a single coil high rpm engine, where you just don't have the dwell time available for good power.

I would first change to the best coil you can get your hands on, together with good wiring and a good coil driver and if all that is not possible or does not help, increase coil voltage.

Experimenting myself for a friends car on such a device, as he has to stick to his single coil distri on a 8krpm engine.
We improved all the wiring and connectors and this already made a noticeable difference against the 22yrs old stock wiring harness.
good advice, yeeeah we'll see how it goes, i just didnt want to use some coils that wouldnt have the factory fit as it looks cleaner and just right with the factory shaped coils, LS coils would probably be the best/cheapest coil choice?