New, with a Supercharged 22re!

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

zippo
MS/Extra Newbie

New, with a Supercharged 22re!

Post by zippo »

Greetings. This is my first post to the MS forum and wanted to say hey. I recently built and installed a Camden supercharger(5lbs) in my 1987 Toyota 4runner. Also rebuilt the 22re. Details can be seen on my build thred http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=96772.0

I currently have things running with the factory ECU only having upgraded from 195cc to 255cc low impedance injectors. It runs ok and makes it a great driver, but you can tell it has more and the factory ECU at times has a hard time keeping up, as well as having a slightly rich idle, at 13-13.5 AFR.(plx AFR gauge with heated wide band O2) I am thinking of going with the MSPNP2-T8590 which I have read all about, but wanted to see if anyone has experience with a similar setup? I would of course be removing the AFM.

Please correct me if i'm wrong, forgive my newb questions.

- This would also be the same as DIYPNP Nippon Denso 42 Pin Unassemled kit?
- On the 22re impedance injectors the harness has resisters built in so no need to adjust the PMW?
- Anyone have a good base map?

Though I have built and worked on many vehicles over the years this will be my first megasquirt/tune.

Any other information on boost 22re's or the best way to go about it would be great. Thanks Jason
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: New, with a Supercharged 22re!

Post by Matt Cramer »

[quote="zippo"
Please correct me if i'm wrong, forgive my newb questions.

- This would also be the same as DIYPNP Nippon Denso 42 Pin Unassemled kit? [/quote]

Similar but not 100% identical. The DIYPNP and MSPN Gen 2 are closely related. Both use the MicroSquirt Module at their core and run MS2/Extra firmware. However, we've added a couple extras to the MSPNP as well. The biggest changes are that it uses peak and hold injector drivers for low impedance injectors, and we've put an improved knock circuit where you can adjust the sensitivity across the RPM range. We also added a 4 bar MAP sensor and a 1 bar barometric correction sensor. It isn't a huge leap past the DIYPNP in terms of features, but we did squeeze in a couple enhancements.
- On the 22re impedance injectors the harness has resisters built in so no need to adjust the PMW?
Neither the MSPNP nor the DIYPNP uses PWM current limiting as both are based on the MicroSquirt Module. The DIYPNP would require leaving the resistors in place. The MSPNP has a current sensing analog circuit in the injector drivers that detects whether you are using the resistors or not, and applies current limiting if needed.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
zippo
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by zippo »

I take it they do not sell the mspnp as a kit? Just the assembled unit?Are these unit generally in stock? If not what is the turn around time?

I read 4bar map sensors are less accurate them 2bar. Is this true?

Thanks again Jason.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

zippo wrote:I take it they do not sell the mspnp as a kit? Just the assembled unit?
Correct. The DIYPNP is the kit counterpart.
Are these unit generally in stock? If not what is the turn around time?
We try to keep them in stock at all times; if we run out, we can usually have one built in under a week.
I read 4bar map sensors are less accurate them 2bar. Is this true?
Theoretically. In the real world, there isn't a difference you'd be able to find on a dyno or with a commercially available wideband O2 sensor. We've run an engine on a 10 bar MAP sensor once to see if we could. Worked just fine.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
zippo
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by zippo »

Sounds awesome! Thanks for the quick reaponce! This is going to be a fun project. I'll prolly order this is the next couple weeks!
zippo
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by zippo »

Ordered!

I plan on switching my PLX gauge from narrow to wide band O2. I currently make this connection in the engine bay into the factory harness. Is this a problem?

Also I have been reading more and more about where to mount the IAT sensor. I am seeing it should be after the boost (which warms the air) For me this is a small problem as the supercharger mounts after the throttle body and I only have an 1/8 NPT port (for a boost gauge). I have also seen several people find 1/8NPT IAT sensors or would it be ok to mount it in the upper intake before the SC? I would also make sure it was an open element sensor.