how to trigger table switching?

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

silverGT
Helpful MS/Extra'er

how to trigger table switching?

Post by silverGT »

Hey guys - just installed water /meth injection on my KenneBell blown 5.0 mustang and have a question on setting up table switching. The controller for the water injection has a feature called "boost safe" which will trigger an alarm or other device in case of fault/failure of the injection system. I want to use it to pull timing in the event of a fault, so I am trying to configure ign table switching but can't find out how to trigger the table switch - specifically the field "switch location" I have the trigger wire (ground) from the controller connected to pin 2 of the options connector (table switching) , have switch source set to "hardware" but have no idea what to use for "switch location". I believe the manual says to use "local" but there is no such option shown - only : " PE1", and then "remote port 3,bit 0-7"
BTW the way this is on an MS PNP gen 2.

can anybody enlighten me?

Thanks!
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Re: how to trigger table switching?

Post by jsmcortina »

I'm not seeing any reference to "Local" in the manual ? (That was an option in an earlier version of the firmware.)

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
silverGT
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by silverGT »

I got that from the manual that was on the usb stick that came with ecu......

cut and pasted here:

Table switching:
You can enable table switching for fuel and / or spark tables from the Boost/Adv anced → Table Sw itch Control menu. Set the switch source to Hardw are for the table you wish to switch, and the location to Local. This will allow you
to use the table switching on the option connector. The alternate table(s) will become active when the pin labeled Table switch input is connected to ground. You can use this to have a second fuel or ignition table for race gas or
when a nitrous system is active.
Note that the tables this will switch to are called VE Table 3 and Ignition Table 3 so these are the tables you'll tune for use when Table Switching is activated. Table 2 is used for other functions such as multiple load input.

so can you tell me what the correct "location" is?
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

silverGT wrote:so can you tell me what the correct "location" is?
DIYAutoTune are best to answer, but I'm pretty sure that the "PE1" option is what you need.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

Note also that the latest firmware allows the use of the 'FLEX (PE0)' pin for table switching; whether this is supported by the PNP carrier board is, as James suggested, a question for the gang at DIY.
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
silverGT
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by silverGT »

I thought that's who you guys were.......... :? when you click on support on the DIY site, this is where you end up........
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

Nope; this is the MSExtra forum. DIY sells all sorts of things, not all of which are officially "MegaSquirt". Certain things, like the PNP series, are sufficiently their own product that support needs to come from them.

When I clicked on the Support button on the DIY site, I got the DIY support page. One of the links further down IS to this forum, but if you clicked the button and arrived here directly, something's weird ...
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
silverGT
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by silverGT »

OK, I get it now....kind of.............for some reason I thought all you guys were associated together including the TunerStudio guy, Phil Tobin. Anyways, as I think others have mentioned it can be extremely confusing for an outsider to try and navigate thru all the various manuals and avenues for support that are available. It is an unusual business arrangement that you guys have to say the least ; although I can see how it evolved that way and there is probably no easy way to consolidate it.
Thanks for the reply though, I will see if I can contact somebody directly thru DIY.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Fear not. This IS the Megasquirt community support forum. Staff from DIYAutoTune read and reply to questions every working day normally.

However... just the last few days a number of their staff are at the PRI show, so forum support will be delayed.

Questions specific to DIYAutoTune products can be directed to websales@diyautotune.com

James

Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

jsmcortina wrote:
silverGT wrote:so can you tell me what the correct "location" is?
DIYAutoTune are best to answer, but I'm pretty sure that the "PE1" option is what you need.

James
Correct, the table switching port on the MSPNP is PE1.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
silverGT
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by silverGT »

Great! that is the one I decided to try........but now have another issue - When it is configured that way, as soon as I start the car, it shows table switching is active for spark (but not fuel - I have both enabled) i.e appears to be running on spark table 3 even though there is no fault indicated from the water injection controller. I have verified that the trigger wire from the controller is not grounded at that time. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

What is the voltage on the table switch wire?

Can you post a copy of your MSQ?
silverGT
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by silverGT »

When you say voltage on the table switching wire - are you talking about the wire from the Water injection controller, or the wire from the ECU (pin 2 of the options connector)? I will have to measure it - don't know at this point.
The current MSQ has the table switching disabled at the moment. When I noticed the table switching activated as soon as I started the car, I went ahead and switched it off as I needed to drive/log the car with it running on the normal table. Do you want to see that MSQ, or should I reactivate table switching and post that one?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

I would need the voltage on the wire going to the expansion connector, and the MSQ with table switching on.
Kev5.0
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Kev5.0 »

One thing I noticed on your MSQ is that when I turn ON spark table switching it shows the incorrect switch location, it shows remote port3 bit 0, instead of PE1.

One thing to double check is Jumper 3 on the main board. Make sure it is set to use Launch/Flex for your A/C idle up function and not PE1/table switch. It could cause a conflict.

On your setup, what are you doing to adjust fuel/timing for the water/meth? or are you just tuning VE1 for the use of water/meth? what activates the system?

I use the Boost control output to turn on my nitrous, you might could use it for your water/meth.
'92 Mustang GT -- Kenne Bell 2.1L -- Built C4 and stall -- E85 -- NOS dry 75 -- Ported heads and intake -- Blower cam
silverGT
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by silverGT »

Hey Kev - that MSQ had been changed because I was messing around with it trying to to see if it made any difference with a different switch location........didn't seem to - table switching (ignition) stayed activated the whole time.
The water/meth system is an AEM and is totally independent - it uses its own controller activated by map (boost) and is adjustable for minimum threshold and max output.
I am just tuning the VE tables for use while the water/meth is spraying. I just want to use the table switching to add fuel and pull timing if the water/meth system fails/faults.
silverGT
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by silverGT »

I have another thread started above where I am unable to get the "mat based timing retard" to work which would also give me an additional layer of safety in case of water/meth failure......but one of the other guys is seeming to indicate I need to update the firmware to make it work...........
which doesn't make me all warm and fuzzy because I have read way too many posts " I reloaded the firmware and now my car won't run" :cry:
computers and related are not my strong point
silverGT
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by silverGT »

OK - just reset everything to where it is supposed to work, and tried it again - same thing - ign table switching is active at all times. Also measured voltage of the wire from the meth controller being input to the table switching input - .11 volts.
current MSQ
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

This is odd. Can you update to the 3.3.3 firmware, and enable Port Status in Project Properties? This will allow data logging if the table switch port is active. Then make a data log of the issue.
silverGT
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by silverGT »

I am going to attempt to update the firmware. (hope that will solve my "mat based timing retard" issue) Will also open the case and check jumper #3 as Kev mentioned. That makes sense because I did get a mysterious increase in idle speed recently. I thought it was related to something else but that could explain it. One question though - If I do change the position of the jumper as Kev mentioned, will I still get the A/C idle up function?