Important note re VAG COP units

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

16vboost
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: Important note re VAG COP units

Post by 16vboost »

The battery is in the trunk, but grounded to the chassis. The positive terminal runs up to the stud on the starter (like OEM) and the factory wiring harness takes +12v from the starter stud to the fuse box. I tried to power MS as if it were the old factory CIS-E oxygen sensor control unit which isn't quite like the current wiring diagrams. As a result, there may be some ground loops.

I almost want to remove the capacitors from my harness and investigate further. But no. If it ain't broke . . .

Thanks elaw for starting this thread and the useful information it contains. Now if we can just get those manuals updated.

-Alex
savagerocco
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by savagerocco »

On my audi 4k I kind of remember having issues until I grounded the coils to the chassis away from common ms grounds. But that has been several years ago and my memory isn't as good as it used to be.
Brent Savage
life behind the zion curtain
90 audi RS2 20VTQ 6sp MS3, MSX COP and Sequential and now MAF
87 Scirocco 2.0 ABA 16v EIP tubular cast MSII COP
86 Audi 4K20VTQ MSII
90 Audi 90 sedan 3.6l DOHC V8TT (project car)
89 VW cabbie (bitch basket) 2.0 ABA Turbo MSII
yzn
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by yzn »

To add an extra note, a week ago i had problem with engine not firing it turned around that the ground for the coils signal on the engine block was bad so i moved it to where the coils power are grounded so now i had both ring terminals grounded to the same place but then i had a knocking problem every time the engine hit the boost, today i moved the the signal ground to a chassis ground and the knocking went away. I'm running 115r COP with the old manual 5v pull up circuit.
weeblebiker
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by weeblebiker »

both pin 2 and pin 4 ground should be separate and separate from the ms ground by a few inches. even a hall grounds will feed noise into the ms ground if bolted on or near the ms ground.
v2.2 box, ms2, dual wheel, sequential ignition, staged injection, boost control, maf
'87 VW scirocco, 2L16V, TD0-14T turbo, itbs