New to EFI

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

blue72beetle
MS/Extra Newbie

New to EFI

Post by blue72beetle »

Hi guys.
I recently discovered Megasquirt, and amazingly enough, I had no idea people were doing this to aircooled VW engines. I think I'm ready to jump into this world, and start by fuel injecting my 1971 VW bus.

I do have a few questions though that I haven't been able to figure out from reading Megasquirt Manual and a few other things I've found.
I read that MS1 doesn't support ignition and MS2 and 3 does. However it seems that when I've read about people's setups, a lot of people are using MS1 and have it controlling ignition too. I don't understand this. Does the MSextra firmware add ignition support?

I know that with my Bus (1971 dual port 1600 aircooled), the carb has a specific vacuum signature which is matched to a specific distributor that is different than a Beetle. This is due to the size and weight of the bus, the vacuum signature and advance are drastically different because the bus spends more time in the middle of the rpm range than the lighter quicker Beetle. How would this be accomplished with Megasquirt? Is it as simple as finding out the advance at the various rpm's and programming it the same in the tuner software?
Because of this, I would lean toward getting the MS2, since it has ignition control as well.

What's to say that I have a tune "correct"? I don't have a dyno, so I guess it would be seat-of-the-pants testing. I have a big fear of tuning the engine to where it seems like it's running right, but may be slowly self-destructing inside. I don't really have an ear for detonation either. Is it a matter of, if it's running near proper AFR and is running 'well' then it's right?
1971 VW Bus, Microsquirt 1776cc
yzn
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: New to EFI

Post by yzn »

welcome to efi world
All megasquirt ecus can support ignition with hardware modification. When converting to efi you can ditch the distributor and run wasted spark coils or cop.
When tuning you need wideband oxygen sensor to target the right afr, you can search the web for spark map to help you start tuning ignition advance or start from zero it's not that hard tbh, also detonation ears can be made easily .
I suggest you look at the microsquirt it is basically an assembled ms2 and it support ignition control without hardware modification, but you need an external map sensor and ignition module depending on the coils you use
R100RT
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by R100RT »

The trepidation to learn new tech and venture into self tuning sessions seems to scare off many, but without just cause. The provision of information and tech help on both the newly formatted manuals (you have to watch out for landing on old material on the net) and the forums here are second to none and many of us have created top notch msq's (tuning template) without dyno time or paying a shop.
I've gone through the same process (see airhead boxer engine 980cc twin), perhaps made a few blunders that would have been very obvious had I slowed up a bit and read the manuals a bit more diligently (in fairness, they are better now than before). All part of the fun tho.
The bonus is that there isn't any facet of your air cooled VW that will not benefit from direct and fully graduated control on the various and sundry items the MS works with. I went the route of MicroSquirt but if you wish to build yours there are reasons to choose any of the 3 Megasquirt models. I'm not aware of limitations for ignition control on MS1, perhaps not quite as many options and tweaks as the newer brands.
Go for it, you won't regret it.
Lorne
1983 BMW R100RT Motorbike
Turbocharged - Water/Meth
Sequential Ignition & Fuel
"Perky Sleeper" that excites bike enthusiasts once discovered (or being passed)
Newest project - 1995 BMW K75 is V3 Microsquirt, "Turbocharger - Of Course"
blue72beetle
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by blue72beetle »

Thanks guys.
I think the best way to learn is just to get a Megasquirt and jump in. I think the MS2 will work best for me.
I'm not scared of building it, I've played with Arduino's before, soldering is fun!
chips60bug
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by chips60bug »

I first fired my squirted bug in 2008 and have had it on and off the road since then. It's been a fun adventure. I've made lots of changes, added lots of features, and seen impressive performance. One of the coolest things about MS is that the metal box units are extremely upgradable. The plastic case units(microsquirt, ms3-pro) are not. As has been said, each unit has its abilities, some have more than others. All can fire injectors and ignite coils add long as you stick with the msextra firmware.
Paul_VR6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Paul_VR6 »

If you enjoy the "tinkering" factor, a ms2 on a v3 board is the way to start.
-Paul
1992 Corrado SLC 3.6 VR6 11.38@120 - MS3 Pro Ultimate - Microsquirt I/O - Can EGT - Racepak IQ3s
kptuned.com - Megasquirting the World! Megasquirt Sales, Service, Tuning and More!
blue72beetle
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by blue72beetle »

Looking at some various options here,
I found a guy that sells EFI conversion kits for aircooled VW's. Nice thing about his kits is you don't need to run to junkyards and scrounge for parts. It comes with an MS1 2.2 though.
I have no problem with the MS1, I'd probably find a Ford EDIS setup anyway to keep things simple. Here's my first question. Can an MS1v2.2 run a Ford EDIS setup through the SAW and PIP ?
chips60bug
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by chips60bug »

Look up Mario at thedubshop.net. He puts together very nice systems for our cars. Has developed lots of vw specific efi products, and will sell you any ECU you want. He is on this forum as well as most of the US based vw forums.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

chips60bug wrote:Look up Mario at thedubshop.net. He puts together very nice systems for our cars. Has developed lots of vw specific efi products, and will sell you any ECU you want. He is on this forum as well as most of the US based vw forums.
I would also recommend Mario. He sells VW specific stuff that's a lot more current than an MS1 V2.2.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
chips60bug
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by chips60bug »

Matt Cramer wrote:
chips60bug wrote:Look up Mario at thedubshop.net. He puts together very nice systems for our cars. Has developed lots of vw specific efi products, and will sell you any ECU you want. He is on this forum as well as most of the US based vw forums.
I would also recommend Mario. He sells VW specific stuff that's a lot more current than an MS1 V2.2.
Glad to hear I'm not stepping on any toes by making a recommendation on this board!