General "good-to-have" electronic components purchase

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

eMTea
Experienced MS/Extra'er

General "good-to-have" electronic components purchase

Post by eMTea »

Hi!

I'm browsing through ebay to put togehter a kit of general good to have electronic components.
Resistors, diodes, LED's, transistors, regulator (5v) etc, to build custom circuits.

Anyone care to recommend some for me?
-MS3X, (V3 PCB) 1.2 RC 1 firmware. Controlling a light modified Audi 1.8TQ AEB 20v engine with Holset HE221W turbo, 299.4 HP and 400Nm at the hubs in Dynapack.
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: General "good-to-have" electronic components purchase

Post by DaveEFI »

Very difficult without knowing what you intend building. When you do build a few things you'll have a better idea of what you'll need. The one more or less universal requirement is all the preferred values of resistors. I find 0.6w metal oxide the best compromise between types for general use. 10 of each value is a good start - and then buy the most common you use by the hundred. They are very much cheaper per unit in bulk.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Don't do it.... After a while you will have about 5 of those 30 drawer units full of bits and have spent a lot of money on one day I will build it items. :lol:
Once you are sure you will make something just do up a BOM and order/get the stuff.
But yeah having a reasonable selection of "passives" is pretty good.
And a few driver transistors, and....
hmmmm might go buy another 30 draw unit. :lol:
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
arran
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by arran »

555 timer
5V regulator
12V regulator
some 25V electrolytic capacitors
resistors

maybe bc448, bc549
a selection of small screws, nuts and bolts
some hookup wire, I use a bit of coloured ribbon cable and slice off the lengths in the width I need
RX7 Series 2 13B Turbo. Megasquirt 3 with 3X Expander and V3 CPU. Firmware 1.4.1
Knock module, twin EGT, real time clock, WBO2, full sequential fuel and spark
http://web.aanet.com.au/arran
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

slow_hemi6 wrote:Don't do it.... After a while you will have about 5 of those 30 drawer units full of bits and have spent a lot of money on one day I will build it items. :lol:
Once you are sure you will make something just do up a BOM and order/get the stuff.
But yeah having a reasonable selection of "passives" is pretty good.
And a few driver transistors, and....
hmmmm might go buy another 30 draw unit. :lol:
So very true. :D It's impractical to keep everything you may need 'in stock' But can be fun trying if you're an idiot like me...

Keep an eye out for someone giving up their hobby or small business. Or perhaps deceased. You'll buy their stock for a tiny fraction of the new cost - and get even more bits you'll never use.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
eMTea
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by eMTea »

Ok, I may be considering myself an idiot like you do, but with a couple of quadcopters, a few arduino's, beerbrewing hobby, and this car in the garage, I'd love to have some parts in stock, so when a project pops into my head, I can do something about it, instead of waiting 2 weeks...
-MS3X, (V3 PCB) 1.2 RC 1 firmware. Controlling a light modified Audi 1.8TQ AEB 20v engine with Holset HE221W turbo, 299.4 HP and 400Nm at the hubs in Dynapack.
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

eMTea wrote:Ok, I may be considering myself an idiot like you do, but with a couple of quadcopters, a few arduino's, beerbrewing hobby, and this car in the garage, I'd love to have some parts in stock, so when a project pops into my head, I can do something about it, instead of waiting 2 weeks...
Not sure about the US, but in the UK most decent electronics suppliers post for next day delivery.P&P included in the cost.

If I've got a one off project, I'll usually double (at least) the wanted parts like ICs and semiconductors etc I have to order. And build up a stock that way. Most of the passives I'll already have.

But it's something you'll get a feel for as you go on.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Small diodes, 1N4001
TO92 transistors, both NPN and PNP, 2N3904 and 2N3906
Ceramic caps, .001, .01, and .1 microF
TO220 Darlington transistors TIP125, TIP145 and their NPN complements
Pins/sockets for DB connectors
pin headers, housings, and contacts for the size and pitch of your preference (.025" pins on .100" centers are pretty common) get long headers and housings, cut-to-suit
Paul_VR6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Paul_VR6 »

Resistors, don't forget resistors! 330, 470, 1k, 2.2k, 4.7k, 10k, 100k 1/4watt will get you by for most things.
-Paul
1992 Corrado SLC 3.6 VR6 11.38@120 - MS3 Pro Ultimate - Microsquirt I/O - Can EGT - Racepak IQ3s
kptuned.com - Megasquirting the World! Megasquirt Sales, Service, Tuning and More!
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

What ever you do, do not start a "sorting bucket".
When you breadboard prototype up some circuits and run out of time you might be tempted to return the semi's back to there drawers but pull the passives out and put them into this receptacle for later and easier "sorting" using a multimeter, and then returning back into the correctly labeled drawers of your 30 draw units.
Unless you have a serious OCD this sorting will not occur and said sorting bucket, will begin to fill with passives and also mysteriously fill with other "homeless" items.
Family members will also get in on the act and donate various items to this bucket.
Sorting bucket = Bad!
Cheers Luke
Paul_VR6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Paul_VR6 »

Or a sorting pile. Its just as bad and more in the way.
-Paul
1992 Corrado SLC 3.6 VR6 11.38@120 - MS3 Pro Ultimate - Microsquirt I/O - Can EGT - Racepak IQ3s
kptuned.com - Megasquirting the World! Megasquirt Sales, Service, Tuning and More!
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

You guys never have any young children around? Starting at about 18 months they "sort" everything in my shop. Tools, fasteners, electronic components, scrap metal... they all get co-mingled. It's the price I have to pay to let them learn about my world.
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

billr wrote:You guys never have any young children around? Starting at about 18 months they "sort" everything in my shop. Tools, fasteners, electronic components, scrap metal... they all get co-mingled. It's the price I have to pay to let them learn about my world.
Mine were young 20 years ago and one of them is still moving my tools, borrowing stuff without asking and filling my shed with his projects. So I managed to pass it on to one of them. :lol:
Cheers Luke
Boshnakov
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Boshnakov »

eMTea wrote:Hi!

I'm browsing through ebay to put togehter a kit of general good to have electronic
Ebay is not the best place to buy components. Lots of various sellers with lots of unknown/fake garbage.

Anyway, I also have bought some pile of components to have in stock, but all I can say is that most of them are just sitting there for years doing nothing. You just need to buy what you intend to use. I believe projects build up in ones head long before the two week delivery.

Just think in advance.
Regards
eMTea
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by eMTea »

Hi!

Is a 10k potmeter an ok value to have in the box, for use as a variable 0-5v input?
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

Think that's how a Stim does it. Note there are two types of pot. Linear and log. Log is generally for audio, so you want linear.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

slow_hemi6 wrote:
billr wrote:You guys never have any young children around? Starting at about 18 months they "sort" everything in my shop. Tools, fasteners, electronic components, scrap metal... they all get co-mingled. It's the price I have to pay to let them learn about my world.
Mine were young 20 years ago and one of them is still moving my tools, borrowing stuff without asking and filling my shed with his projects. So I managed to pass it on to one of them. :lol:
Believe me, they don't get any better when they turn 50!!!!! :evil:

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance