5vz inquiry. Ms2 Vs ms3 vs diypnp

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Sweeperstang
MS/Extra Newbie

5vz inquiry. Ms2 Vs ms3 vs diypnp

Post by Sweeperstang »

Hello all, I've been reading and reading quite a bit and I would like to introduce myself and inquire about some advice.

THe project: I am putting a 5vz Toyota 3.4 v6 from a 96 4runner into an 89 Toyota v6 truck roller.

The reasons I've decided I want to megasquirt it are the major differences in years of Toyotas and there harness, and I would eventually like to turbo charge the v6. My question is which kit is right for me? In order of relevance, through my research, This is my best route:(subject to Change on others opinions.)

1. ms2 diy with a few upgrades(boost control, fan control) diypnp and jimstim.
(Thoughts are this I can just wire what I need and not deal with having to swap ever component from donor)

2. DIYpnp nippo denso 76 pin kit

3. Ms3

I know the least about the diypnp 76 kit. (which is why I'm here) I would like to get pros and cons of each and all. A note, the 4runner is a running wrecked donor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sweeperstang
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: 5vz inquiry. Ms2 Vs ms3 vs diypnp

Post by Sweeperstang »

A little about what I've messed around with as far as standalones go, I had a very fun 84' SVO with SDS and my 86 4runner has the SDS kit from lc-engineering. Long story short, I do not want to deal with SDS again. The SVO was pre-installed before purchase and the 4runner was pre assembled with a rebuilt motor in another wrecked 86 4runner.

Both systems in both vehicles worked ok* ... but once I had a problem with the 4runner ECU, It never was right again, I had to ship the ECU to Canada, the turn around was forever, and they charged an arm and leg for just a few small replaced components. They then recommended I replace the main board. That in itself was more than a diy ms3 kit!! pass...haha needless to say, the thing just wasn't the same after that.

So here i am.. looking to build something new. Looking forward to hearing what everyone's opinions are.

A few Saturdays back, I got the pleasure of meeting some of the people from efi analytics. I was up with my buddy (trying to help however I could) when he was having his nasty NA sbf mustang tuned. Being up there and watching the software being used on such an interesting car really sold me.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

The DIYPNP gets you the same processor and code as an MS2, but about half the assembly time and no mod kits to add. Pricing is similar to an MS2 kit, JimStim, and wiring harness.

The MS3 is a more powerful unit - use it if you want sequential injection or a ton of I/O.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Sweeperstang
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Sweeperstang »

Matt Cramer wrote:The MS3 is a more powerful unit - use it if you want sequential injection or a ton of I/O.
Well I would like to use the factory VR setup and factory coils for simplicity's sake. So I guess I don't *need* ms3. And if I needed more outputs I figured I could get a GPIO board? Isn't that what they are for?

By the way, thank you for replying.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Starting with an MS3 from the get-go would be less expensive than adding a GPIO to an MS2, and less of a science project.
Sweeperstang
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Sweeperstang »

Matt Cramer wrote:Starting with an MS3 from the get-go would be less expensive than adding a GPIO to an MS2, and less of a science project.
Haha. Sounds like experience talking. Ok, so starting with ms3, would I need the ms3x expansion or would I be ok with just the standard ms3?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

An MS3X is the easy way to get all the I/O the MS3 can allow.