LS 58x Phasing

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Rick Finsta
Master MS/Extra'er

LS 58x Phasing

Post by Rick Finsta »

I have a buddy I'm helping set up with an MS-based ignition-only solution for LS coils on his V8. In order to simplify things for him we were going to put the sensors in the same location as a stock LS 58x plus 1x cam. Best I can figure, when the engine is a TDC #1, the sensor should be pointed at the rising edge of the 13th tooth after the gap, or at 78* BTDC the sensor should be at the second missing tooth?

For the cam sensor, the rising edge of the half-moon should be passing the sensor when the fifth cylinder in the firing order (#6) is at TDC.

Is this correct?

I'm swaying him towards an MS3Pro but he *might* end up going with a caveman solution like the MSD 6014 so I want to make sure I've got him set up for either option.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: LS 58x Phasing

Post by billr »

Isn't 40 BTDC what is recommended for a V-8 in the manual? That's what I would shoot for, although mine is 58* (by legacy) and working fine. With such a wide acceptable range (40, 78, 58, etc.), whether that is first or second tooth, or rising/falling edge of tooth, is of no concern... especially if you go for the 40 BTDC.

PS: the CMP signal is even less fussy, using "half-moon". You can specify nearly everything there in TS
Rick Finsta
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Rick Finsta »

I usually just take maximum timing and add ten degrees, unless that puts the missing tooth in the middle of a lull during cranking that can cause issues. I'm specifically asking here where the factory LS motors that run 58x +1x cam are phased so I can copy it on his install to give him maximum flexibility.
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nathaninwa »

When setting mine up, I read it was supposed to be the 14 tooth or like 84*. Testing with a light and a pointer I needed 78* to match timing, and with the 4x wheel on tdc one of the teeth is in the middle of the tooth, so it's just reading poll. I believe the same with the 1x cam insetup too. It's in the middle and is just needed for phasing, not really and edge
Volvo 940, 2jzge, MS3Pro, daily
240Z, 2JZ, MS3Pro boost control
Rick Finsta
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Rick Finsta »

Alright, sounds like I'm on the right track then. I think the 78/84 kerfluffle might be because some guys are counting the second missing tooth as the first tooth instead of the first tooth after the gap as being the first tooth!