Crank trigger wheel

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

ngin/Kevin
MS/Extra Newbie

Crank trigger wheel

Post by ngin/Kevin »

I have the DIY 8 1/4 36-1 crank trigger wheel and my harmonic balancer is 8'' diameter . I want to mount the trigger wheel directly to balancer face . The trigger wheel notches are about a 1/4 " depth radial so the bottom of notch is about 1/8 below the radial perimeter of balancerAnd the top of the notch about 1/8" radial above the balancer.
Will this work with DIY old style threaded hall sensor , or will this cause a problem .
I can space the wheel a 1/8 off of the face of balancer if needed but that is the farthest , and another option if necessary is I could machine material off of the balancer to create a step that is 7 3/4 Dia and 1/8" or so wide. I have never done that to a balancer so not sure if good idea to remove metal from balancer
Rick Finsta
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: Crank trigger wheel

Post by Rick Finsta »

I'd try it out; I don't think it will be problematic with a hall sensor. I've seen plenty of wheels that aren't square in the gaps where the radius starts about halfway down the teeth.
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

ngin/Kevin wrote:I want to mount the trigger wheel directly to balancer face .
That's the way I did mine! Works just fine!

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
ngin/Kevin
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by ngin/Kevin »

We'll I believe that somewhere here in documentation it said the notches needed 2 MM minimum of depth and that is approx 0.080" in inches so my notches being about .125" inches from balancer I feel it would work.
And with the replies having success I will give it a go ! Thanks for the replies guys