Fuel Pump Output causing major problems.

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

danc8000
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Fuel Pump Output causing major problems.

Post by danc8000 »

Hi all,

Some of you may have read a few of the previous posts I've made about a few small issues I've been having. Pretty much every problem traces back to one single thing...

I have my fuel pump output from the relay board going to my fuel pump, as per normal. The wire runs from the board to the correct terminal on the feed through my tank to the pump.

The same feed through connector has a terminal for an earth connection which I have connected to earth (and the other end goes to the earth pin on the pump).

Nothing out of the ordinary yet but bear in mind I've tried this with 2 different pump assemblies and am getting the same problem:

Without the 12v from the relay board connector to the pump the whole MS/EDIS system is behaving itself. If I connect the 12v terminal up I get all sorts of strange things happening. With only the ign on I'm seeing apparent rpm's of 16000, my fuel pump relay clicks on and off, my apparent ignition timing fluctautes wildly - all causing a lot of grief.

After a bit of multimeter action and wire tracing I have found that with the 12v connection made to the pump from the relay board I have continuity from that pin on the relay board to ground? It's as if my fuel pump does not exist and I have connected a wire from the fuel pump output on the relay board to the ground on the body.

Do you have any ideas what's going on? Do I need some sort of resistor or diode somewhere to prevent there effectively being a direct short circuit from 12v to ground?

Any opinions or input is greatly appreciated.....

I'm running MSnSExtra, and get no errors reported from Megatunix at any time.
danc8000
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by danc8000 »

Anyone have any ideas?
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Re: Fuel Pump Output causing major problems.

Post by jsmcortina »

danc8000 wrote:I have my fuel pump output from the relay board going to my fuel pump, as per normal. The wire runs from the board to the correct terminal on the feed through my tank to the pump.

The same feed through connector has a terminal for an earth connection which I have connected to earth (and the other end goes to the earth pin on the pump).

Nothing out of the ordinary yet but bear in mind I've tried this with 2 different pump assemblies and am getting the same problem:
Could you draw a wiring diagram of this (paint works ok - I'm no artist)
I'm having a hard time understanding the wiring, maybe I'm just not familiar with the relay board. In my install I have a fused 12v feed to the pump and the relay switches the earth.

James
danc8000
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by danc8000 »

This turned out to be a code related problem with 021..... something.

I was not able to upgrade to 024s9 with anything except Hyperterminal and a wipe and clean shot at 024s9.

I have no idea why regular wiring of the pump (as per anyone elses typical install) was causing this problem. Fact of the matter was that removing the power to the pump from the MS FP output solved any issues. However, changing to 024s9 got rid of the problem anyway.

Good one eh!! Thanks for your input. :)