V3 VR Conditioner...

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

suberimakuri
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by suberimakuri »

Just to confirm Richard.

G1/G2 would have 220ohm each tieing to ground, and then after that go through R45 each (ie: 2x 1k resistors).
Then tie together.

Should make it to the electronics store tomorrow.
ChaosAD
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by ChaosAD »

I am also having trouble getting my v3 MSII to read my 4age dizzy properly. I have the earlier model which has a 4 tooth wheel in it.
I am using this four tooth wheel however the ms wont pick up revs under about 300rpm when spinning it with a drill.

Should I do this mod to my board?
NE Conditioner
1. Replace R45 with 15k
2. Replace R52 pot with fixed 100k
3. Connect inerted output U1. If using V2.2 PCB, remove Opto. It seems to work OK with the pullup resistor and noise cap still in place but these could be removed as well.
4. Omit R56 (10k pot). Connect the base and collector of Q23 to 0V
suberimakuri
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by suberimakuri »

yes.
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

sorry to hijack the thread but I must warn anyone using the schematic that:

R45 and r46 are 10k and not 1K as shown on schematic. Ask me how I know..... (hint: involves desoldering twice). It's why I was late to the friday MS dinner in Va Beach this weekend. :x

Check the BOM before using the schematic for anything but troubleshooting.

Happy squirting!!!!
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
60-2 Wheel LS2 Coils, Low Z Inj
Co-Driver 1999 BMW E46 DSP car.
ChaosAD
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by ChaosAD »

I turned both the pots counter clockwise and reversed the dizzy wires and am now getting rpm when cranking!

Using vrout (not vrinv).
gtiman82
MS/Extra Newbie

Smart people please come back!

Post by gtiman82 »

Ok I am having the same troubles on a 3S-GTE and think I understand what to do, but need someone who knows to say "yes" or this way or that way. I am running a V3 MSII board. (I have been buried for awhile on this :RTFM: )

First: Do I need 2 conditioners with MSII?? I dont think it has an option for 2, if it does I will just plan to use both. Anyone know?

Second: If MS II Just has 1 input should I just use the 4 tooth G1/G2 input and add the 220ohm resistors? I'm not sure of the term "across" used in the previous posts. Where do I tie G1/G2 together if I were to use it as the V+ (db24) input? Available answers: A or B (or fix them please :o )

A)Distributor----G1---220ohm---(to V+ db24) also to G-
Distributor-------G2---220ohm---(to V+ db24) also to G-

B)Distributor----G1---(to V+ db24)---220ohm---to G-
Distributor-------G2---(to V+ db24)---220ohm---to G-

If I am just using the 1 input for MSII and use G1/G2 then I will make the mods for the G1/G2 conditioner circuit in the prior posts. At that point i would ground the NE wheel correct?

Thanks in advance...
SBDJ
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by SBDJ »

When mine was running on the stock ignition, I used MSnS with two conditioner inputs. The one on the standard PCB was for NE, and the second input on a seperate prototype board was for G1+G2. I don't think MSII has the option for two inputs, I think you need MSnS but I've not been following MSII I must admit :oops:

IMHO you won't get it running on one VR sensor without modifying the main wheel in the dizzy. IIRC the wheel has 24 teeth with none missing - thats one input, and the other input is a seperate wheel/sensor that is triggered twice per revolution as the 24-tooth wheel rotates at half the speed of the crankshaft.

If you only want one input, I'd attach a toothed wheel to the crankshaft pulley and use a VR sensor fitted to that instead. I'm going to transfer the MS across to a tubby myself shortly, and I'm probably going to do that myself and skip all the crosstalk issues I had with the stock distributor.

I posted on your other thread before I read this one - if you need any help feel free to give me a shout. Richard (lmr052) is very very helpful and friendly as well :)
lmr052
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by lmr052 »

SBDJ wrote: Richard (lmr052) is very very helpful and friendly as well :)
I have been lurking a bit lately. Other domestic activities have diverted me from MS. I hope to get back into it soon...

Regards, Richard
Successful MS Replacement for OEM Toyota ECU - all stock sensors and 2nd Ignition Input.
gtiman82
MS/Extra Newbie

Well I got her running...

Post by gtiman82 »

Well, she runs!

We ended up smoothing the 24 tooth (NE) wheel to 4 teeth so each tooth represents an ignition event.

The 3S-GTE distributor has the 24-tooth NE wheel and 1 TDC wheel. The TDC wheel has 2 VR sensor pickups 180* out from each other (G1, G2) but the strib spins at half the speed of the crankshaft so of course our RPM signal was 1/2 what it should have been. I believe MSnS-E would have worked setup as advised in this post, but MSII is not setup yet for dual wheel distribs.

We thought about using the 24tooth wheel as a "crank" position sensor. Basically grinding a tooth behind the Cylinder 1 TDC' tooth AND a tooth 180* out from that. The wheel would have 2 reset points and effectively be a 12 tooth wheel. However, we were concerned about noise and how much the timing would be off if there was a miscount.

Since we ended up modifying it to a 4 tooth distrib we "disabled?" the G1/G2 sensors in hopes of reducing noise potential. However, we did still put a 220ohm resistor across NE and G-.

Thanks for putting the posts up here in the first place and we will be driving her around soon 8)