Fuel pump / lines / filter questions...

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

DonBecker
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Fuel pump / lines / filter questions...

Post by DonBecker »

Hi all,

I am putting a 85/86 GM TPI intake on my '76 small block chevy.

Intake install and wiring is going well, but now I'm on the fuel system portion and have a couple questions.

I used the recommended numbers (in the manual) and went down to Autozone to get a pump.

I ended up with a 'Master' brand E8312.

No instructions, just came with '12 volts' and 'Max PSI 95' printed on the side.

The electric terminals are threaded studs (nuts included) and don't have a polarity marked, should be good either way?

Now the end with the terminals on it has what looks like a 90o barbed fitting, with a nut on the end. If I unscrew the nut, the 90o part comes off to reveal a stud with some holes in it.

I plan on running SS braided hose from the pump to the rail, and from the rail to the return line.

Is the 90o side the input or output?

The opposite side has a much larger brass fitting (with one barb). This fitting unscrews to show the hole into the pump and some threads. I'm wondering if this end could be converted to an AN fitting to go to the SS hose (assuming it's the output).

Can SS braided be run to a barbed fitting with ribbon/gear clamps? The mega manual briefly mentions EFI clamps but I haven't ever seen or heard of them outside of the manual.

One last question, filter before the pump or after?

Can anyone help?

Let me know if I need to post more info to help.

Thanks!

-Don
jcorsaro
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jcorsaro »

All the external EFI pumps I have seen have the outlet on the side with the electrical connections. The polarity is important. Install a EFI rated filter on the outlet/high pressure side of the pump. I have used the filter that is intended for a 82-84' Corvette, it has 3/8" barb fittings on both sides.
Jeff in San Diego
DonBecker
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by DonBecker »

so if I have a barbed fitting with efi, how do I secure the hose to the fitting?

What are EFI clamps?