VW GTi and Idle air question

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

majic
MS/Extra Newbie

VW GTi and Idle air question

Post by majic »

Does anyone know if you have to use the IAC option with the newer volkswagens? I know that there is something called "secondary air injection", but people sometimes take that out. And the idle air controller... help me understand how it works. It supplies extra air at idle to produce a stable idle? Why is that such a necessary thing, and why can't cars be tuned to idle properly without it?
GeorgeGt
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by GeorgeGt »

if u dont have air con , then u dont need idle control. Mabye fast idle for warmups , but thats all.
vectra 2000 , c20xe with MSnS-E spark&fuel ;)
bleoh
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by bleoh »

A cold engine needs different fuel/air mix andidle speed to have a good strong idle. The IAC is part of that.
majic
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by majic »

Yeah.. I did some reading in my bently last night, and it turns out that the secondary air injection is only for warmup (injects air into the exhaust to make it burn off the rich mixture, heating up the 02 sensors quicker). Since they are down-wind from the headers (the 02 sensors), they are heated, anyway... so not much use in the AIR (that's the name they use for secondary air injection) system. Even still... the PWM design for the IAC will operate the solenoid that it uses for the control valve?