Measuring Injector resistance

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

sha_ba_do_bang
MS/Extra Newbie

Measuring Injector resistance

Post by sha_ba_do_bang »

Ok, when i go to the junkyard to find injectors i want to get high impedance ones, when i hook up a multimeter set on ohms it will spike up to say 15 and then go back to 0 on the mitsubishi injectors. Is the spike value the resistance?

Thanks
jakobsladderz
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jakobsladderz »

No, it should read a stable value of somewhere greater than 12-13 ohms. To be strictly correct, they should be called low and high resistance injectors because it is indeed the DC resistance not the AC impedance that is relevant.
Some multimeters aren't very accurate with low resistances, you may need to find a better one.
An alternative means of measuring the resistance is to measure the current drawn by the injectors when using a known voltage source (say a 1.2 volt nicad battery). Hook the battery positive to the current meter positive. Current meter negative to one side of the injector and the other side of the injector to battery negative. using ohms law it will be found that any current less than 100 milliamps will mean more than 12 ohms, so high resistance injectors. any current above 300 milliamps will be less than 4 ohms or low resistance... in the middle, well, not too many injectors will fall in there.