Fuel return line question...

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Mad MiKe
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Mad MiKe »

Can I use a Pingel dual outlet petcock for the supply and return fuel lines??

The reason I ask is, will there be any problem of back pressure to the fuel regulator if the return line "is" or "isn't" ran into the tank above the fuel level???

Gotta run!! :D
MaD MiKe
79 and 80 KZ1000 Shafties
99 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad Turbocharged
<http>
sidy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by sidy »

I think this depends on the petcock design, some have a single inlet tube so I dont know what happens to a pump when its output is fedback to its inlet via a "T" junction which is effectivly what a petcock will do.

You might be able to modify the petcock to pump the fuel into the center pipe that is usually inside most petcocks, certaily on my kwaka's.... alternatively you could always solder in a coper pipe at the top of the tank under the head yoke, that should work... just empty the fuel out first and wash it out or else :oops: ... you know what will happen.

Sid
Sid Young
Brisbane
Queensland
Australia
Mad MiKe
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Mad MiKe »

sidy wrote:I think this depends on the petcock design, some have a single inlet tube so I dont know what happens to a pump when its output is fedback to its inlet via a "T" junction which is effectivly what a petcock will do.

You might be able to modify the petcock to pump the fuel into the center pipe that is usually inside most petcocks, certaily on my kwaka's.... alternatively you could always solder in a coper pipe at the top of the tank under the head yoke, that should work... just empty the fuel out first and wash it out or else :oops: ... you know what will happen.

Sid

Thanks Sid but the Pingel is a dual outlet. One for supply and the other for return.

If I was going to braze in a return line I would do it entering from the bottom of the tank and extend the tube all the way to the top of the inside of the tank with the top end of the of the tube at a 90 to shoot the retun fuel towards the sides of the tank and not directly at the top.. What you think??
MaD MiKe
79 and 80 KZ1000 Shafties
99 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad Turbocharged
<http>
sidy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by sidy »

Sounds like your on the right track...

Sid
Posted by email.
PSIG
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by PSIG »

In some car installations, the return is directed to the submerged pickup area to allow lower fuel level before starvation. Flinging the return fuel elsewhere around the tank wouldn't allow this - but otherwise shouldn't hurt.

:idea: BTW - tanks wet with fuel are weldable by shops with the proper equipment to flood the tank with inert gas to prevent fire. Many highway truck stops (fueling depots) in the US have the equipment available and will weld steel and aluminum inexpensively.

Hope that helps,
David