Fuel pump clatter

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

defiance
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Fuel pump clatter

Post by defiance »

Those of you with the inline fuel pump like the one that comes off of the ford pickups/econolines will know what I'm talking about here ... These fuel pumps are just loud as heck. As they run, they make this horrendous clattering noise.

At this point, it annoys me so much that, even though my pump is able to maintain pressure at all times (I've got a guage at the reg, it *never* drops), I've still come to the decision that it needs to go.

However, looking through pumps at summit and jegs, I see no ratings whatsoever relating to noise.

So... the question is... does anyone know of good fuel pumps that can maintain at least 45psi @45gph (approximately what the current one is running), and do so quietly?? The one I've got on there is in the $100 range, so if something is available that runs quietly in that price range, great - if not, so be it, as long as it's not in the $300+ range.
The years-long project: http://www.msefi.com/viewtopic.php?t=3043

Other info (stereo, interior, etc):
http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/2324498
Jack
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Jack »

How is it mounted?

While I am not using that particular pump, I mounted my fuel pump in a bracket fabricated out of muffler clamps, but I lined all the metal sections of the clamps with fuel line I slit and slipped over the metal clamp. Isolating the pump from anything metal made it much quieter.

jack
Good judgment comes from experience.
And where does experience come from?
Experience comes from bad judgment.
. . . . . . . Mark Twain
defiance
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by defiance »

Well, that *shouldn't* be it; it's mounted right at the bottom of the tank... There's maybe 18-20" from the fuel tank outlet to the pump, nearly all downhill...

So that clatter means it's having to struggle to get fuel to the inlet? the stock tank doesn't have a fuel pump on it, so that option won't really work... I'll put some rubber isolation between the clamps and pump, as well as between the frame rail it's mounted to and pump... To be honest, I don't think it'll be enough, though; during the install, I had it unmounted at times, and it still made a pretty loud racket...

Maybe I've got a kink in the line somewhere that's restricting it or something...? I'll check, but wouldn't it lose output pressure sometimes then? eh...

jhitesma
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by jhitesma »

One thought is what is it mounted to...that could be amplifying the noise.

My pumps for example are mounted to some sheet metal that makes up the back of my passenger compartment:

The problem is that sheet metal is acting like a drumhead and amplifying the noise the pumps make. My HP pump isn't that bad...just a loud whirring...but it's wrapped in a piece of PVC coupler to issolate the vibrations. The low pressure pump is what's driving me crazy. It's this horrible loud clacking. It used to be mounted to a frame tube and was always loud but the noisy VW motor I had before covered it up. With my new quieter motor and the pump being on that metal that acts like a drum it's VERY obnoxious...and sounds like motor knock so it's distracting too!

I plan on changing it to rubber mounts and reinforcing the wall they're mounted to. Just not sure if I want to use thicker aluminum on the inside...or this 3/4 MDF I have left from my speaker box....it's almost the perfect size, and should give quite a bit of sound insulation. And there would still be the layer of thin steel between it and the fuel in case of any leaks or other catastrophies.

----
Jason
defiance
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by defiance »

Nah, I tried two different pumps (thought it was a bad one, too .. now I have a spare, though :P) so if these normally don't make noise, it's gotta be something on my install. I'll do a good check of the intake lines this weekend. Maybe put some insulation on the mounts and frame rails, and coat the whole thing with sound deadener while I'm at it...

BraneDeadx
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by BraneDeadx »

i came across this theard and i orderd a fuel pump off ebay that was a bosch replacement for the ford vans heavy duty trucks.... at first thing worked great~!!! despiteing it was a re-man fuel pump.....

but surely enough it seezed on me.... it was working great and when i went drive home one day i heard it spin then just buzzz... :(

but im hesantent to go out by another one just yet.... i figured spend the pretty penny on the a good fuel pump or at least get a new stock one ( which in my case new boschs can go for 200~300 bucks ! ) ....

im thinking perhaps run a dual setup, go down local yard and get two idenetical fuel pumps tuen them in parraelle..... so even under hard boost i can use both them to keep fuel presure where i want... and on the other side if one fails then at least i have a "backup" sorta sucks when ur somewhere where there aint a place to just get a fuel pump :(

ohh last the reason mine failed in first place was because i guess on E30 bmws they have a primary sender fuel pump and a secondary presure pump.... i never knew there was a pump in my tank that would send fuel to the second pump..... all time i was running it was cavirateing bad and trying suck the fuel through the first pump :P hehehe..... always check make sure there aint two pumps.....!

Sean....
Im hear to take over everyone and there megasquirt, ive been there done that with my own EFI gizzmo's check my site out for more!! :)