Mech pump to E2000

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

bleoh
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Mech pump to E2000

Post by bleoh »

I tried searching but am having trouble getting it to work.

I know a surge tank is an option but I was wondering if there were other options when converting from a carb that used a mechanical pump. I was wondering if the mechanical pump would keep up with the E2000 or if some type of resivor was needed. I saw the write-up on the early bronco site about a spin on filter, but was hoping for an easier solution.

The application is a 1984 Jeep 4.2 (inline 6cyl) running MPFI from a 93 4.0 at about 43psi.

Thanks. Brian
woh
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by woh »

Brian

The mechanical pump can keep up with the volume of fuel needed, but it can not provide the controlled higher pressure required by the injectors.

You will need to add an EFI fuel pump, a high pressure filter, and a pressure regulator. Look through the MS manual for more details. See my web page below for an example of a fuel pump install.
bleoh
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by bleoh »

Thanks for the reply woh,

The E2000 is the high pressure pump. I was thinking of coming off the mechanical pump to the E2000 then to the high pressure filter then to the fuel rail with the pressure regulator on the end, then back to the tank.
78Spit1500Fed
MS/Extra Guru

Post by 78Spit1500Fed »

Coming off the mechanical pump directly into the high-pressure pump is the bad part there...

You need some kind of a buffer inbetween to ensure that the high-pressure pump never gulps any air. (like a surge tank)

-Brian
woh
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by woh »

I would not use the mechanical pump as Brian suggests and put your EFI pump near the fuel tank, but at or lower than the lowest point of the tank. If you must mount the EFI pump away from the tank, then you may need some intermediary as Brian has indicated.
Mk1rocco
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Mk1rocco »

Here is a link to a site that uses a fuel filter as a surge tank.
GS guy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by GS guy »

Anyone have a good idea what a good volume is for a surge tank?

My car is mid-engine with front mounted fuel tank. The plan at this point is to gravity drain the main tank into a Canton fuel filter - then to a low pressure pump (Carter or Walboro) - then back to the engine compartment to a surge tank. The tank will supply my high pressure pump, through an in-line EFI filter and then to the fuel rail. After making the injector round, through the FPR then to a T back at the surge tank. The tank will bleed some fuel into the T fitting (self purge) through a restrictor orfice and travel with the main return line back to the main fuel tank.
I've got enough room to keep the surge tank and and EFI pump in a semi-separated compartment in the engine bay to control heat and have it vented to the outside.
I'd like to find a pre-fabricated surge tank for this if possible - any ideas? I've thought of using a 2nd Canton large remote fuel/oil filter housing (no filter inside) as the tank, but that seems pretty elaborate (and $$$) just for an empty tank.

Jeff
bleoh
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by bleoh »

I've seen surge tanks on ebay for $50 plus $8 S&H. I think it was .4 gallon. One 1/2" npt port on the top and one on the bottom plus two 1/4" mpt ports onthe bottom for the return lines.
GS guy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by GS guy »

Thanks for the tip bleoh.
I checked those out - might be OK for the minimal $$ approach? - not quite what I'm looking for though.
I do think I've found the near ideal candidate though:
http://www.cantonracingproducts.com/tan ... html#80250
#80-205

I may see about having Canton do a slightly modified version, with the side inlet moved down ~ 1". All the fittings are 3/8" pipe - looks very suitable for this purpose.

Group buy anyone? :)

Cheers, Jeff
bobnova
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by bobnova »

I made my own surge tank out of two toyota power steering reservoirs and a 10" chunk of 3.5" pipe.

I cut the nasty welding (my first welding ever) off, and redid it, it was just too ugly, though it did seal.

Total cost was $6 for the MIG welding wire.

Ignore the supra BOV and the wastegate :P

The total volume is about .69 gallons, enough to run my injectors wide open for a good 2.5 minutes. Far larger then it really needs to be... I like overkill.
'89 Honda Prelude 2.0SI 4ws
'76 Triumph TR7 fhc, soon to have ITB's and MSnS-e