Adapting GSXR ITBs to DCOE Manifold

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

73Inka2002
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Adapting GSXR ITBs to DCOE Manifold

Post by 73Inka2002 »

Hi, has anyone found a source for 'blank' DCOE flanges that can be used to adapt GSXR ITBs to a good ol' fashioned Weber DCOE manifold? Any other suggestions to adapt GSXR ITBs to a Weber DCOE manifold? I'm assuming that you could punch some 45mm holes in some 3" aluminum stock, but I'm not sure how pretty that would look.

Thanks in advance,
Robert
woh
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by woh »

Try Pierce manifolds. He has a number of different adapters. Best to e-mail him and ask specifically what you need.

http://www.piercemanifolds.com/
GS guy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by GS guy »

You also might try Aaron @:
http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=141 ... d=19362899
email: weirtech@cogeco.ca

He makes a slew of nice quality exhaust flanges (only mild steel though) at very reasonable prices - but also custom turbo adapters, aluminum intake flanges and does custom work. I'm sure he could whip up either the flanges - or maybe a direct interface part between DCOE flange to bike throttle body?

Make sure you specify the actual opening sizes you want - as he typically makes parts from the gasket, which sometimes have larger opening than you want in the actual part. Good source of flanges though. I picked up a set of exh. flanges for my Subaru conversion and looks like they'll work out great.
Jeff
Bill Shurvinton
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Bill Shurvinton »

I had a load of flanges made a while back. It then transpired that a billet flange/tube was a better way to do it, but never looked at pricing. Without those there is always some form of fabrication required.
allen22
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by allen22 »

Man, that guys does some nice work, and really decent prices too!

allen
RdSnake
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by RdSnake »

any luck finding an adapter to fir gsxr itbs to dcoe manifold?
73Inka2002
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 73Inka2002 »

RdSnake wrote:any luck finding an adapter to fir gsxr itbs to dcoe manifold?
No, unfortunately not. I contacted Aaron (mentioned in the post above) but he is "out of the flange business." I assume I'll purchase 2 DCOE flanges from Pierce Manifold (about $100 for both) and then some 45mm id tubing and have it welded up. I suppose that will work.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Robert
rs2000
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by rs2000 »

i read somewhere that if you have the right gsxr tb's then the original mounts will bolt up to a dcoe manifold if you enlarge the mounting holes slightly.. i can't remember what gsxr tb's this was for though.. i think it was around an 01 model.. might be worth checking out
73Inka2002
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 73Inka2002 »

rs2000 wrote:i read somewhere that if you have the right gsxr tb's then the original mounts will bolt up to a dcoe manifold if you enlarge the mounting holes slightly.. i can't remember what gsxr tb's this was for though.. i think it was around an 01 model.. might be worth checking out
Thanks for the advice, I'll investigate. Does anyone know what those mounts are called? I'd like to search ebay and other spots on the web to see if they're readily available.

Thanks,
Robert
Ahutchy
MS/Extra Newbie

I have just been thru this...

Post by Ahutchy »

Hi Robert,

I made an adapter up but it is a bit of a bodge.

I just flicked through the pics I took of the project and blow me down I didn't take a pic of the thing!

Anyhow it was basically a bit of 8mm plate (aluminium) and I cut it out to screw up to the exisiting weber/dellorto manifold (on an old Alfa) and had four tubes welded over the 42mm holes. The tube size was a bit small though so lots of grinding and shaping and then also had to "shim" the tube with some extra silicone tubing before putting the actual boots over my adapter and the TB's.

My alloy tubes fitted flush up against output side of Tb's to give a more or less smooth transition into the adapter and then orig manifold.

All ported and smoothed though to match my head mods.

I still cant believe I didn't take any pics of something I spent two days making.

Cheap though! $80 for welding and materials!

Did I mention I spent another two days before I started staring at it trying to see an easier way...

There wasn't, at least I don't think there was.

Good Luck with it, Andrew.
73Inka2002
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 73Inka2002 »

Thanks for the follow-up, guys. Per rs2000's suggestion, I've ordered a set of GSXR intake manifolds from ebay. We'll see if they work. It's kind of a gamble, but only a $35 gamble.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 4613902831
lander
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by lander »

Has anybody experience with setting in MT for engine with GSX-R throttle bodies???? I have that engine with throttle bodies from 750 with 42mm dieameter. In next 2 weeks I will start to tune my engine.

Lander
Lander Racing Team
Suzuki Swift Kit Car, MS2
Toyota MR2 BEAMS VVTi
GS guy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by GS guy »

73Inka2002,
Sorry about the bum lead for Aaron. I'm a little bummed too as I was expecting him to fab up a turbo adapter for me. But correct - he's out of the adapter business, at least for the forseeable future.

Those carb mounting plates look like the ticket though. Seems pretty straightforward to either fab up a plate adapter to interface them to a Weber manifold - if they can't be mounted directly. I gather they do fit the carb ID/OD correctly? Some short hoses of the factory rubber connectors will complete the picture.

Nice find.
Jeff
bcal
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by bcal »

If you have access to a lathe and don't mind a bit of tinkering you can try this.
http://www.msefi.com/viewtopic.php?t=895

Also, the standard suzie manifold adaptors can be bored out (they are oval on the outlet) and flanges to suit the DCOE manifold can be welded to them. That way you can use the rubber mounts.
Bye For Now
Brett
ptownsin
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by ptownsin »

I had a set of these made up by a friend (sorry for the poor picture quality). I've got one spare set of 4 if anybody is interrested and can get others made up but in limited numbers.

They 'adapt' a 42mm GSXR body to a weber manifold are in aluminium and I'm using fuel resistant hose to join them up. I wanted them to be as short as possible to fit under my bonet so I suspect I'll need extra straps to hold the bodies on and not just rely on the hose joiners to support them.

Paul.
73Inka2002
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 73Inka2002 »

ptownsin wrote: I've got one spare set of 4 if anybody is interrested and can get others made up but in limited numbers.
I might be interested. Please email me at robmoylan[at]gmail[dot]com.

Thanks,
Robert
Hjulen
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Hjulen »

Those are to fit a DCOE flange right? Do you think your friend could make IDF flanges as well? I don't have the dimensions though....
ptownsin
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by ptownsin »

If there are some IDF Dims some where on the web he probably can. After using a vernier caliper on my DCOE manifold for about 3 hours I got the dims for it into cad then found some superb info on the webcon website which would have saved a load of time.

I'll see if I can google it =)

Trial fitted them the other night too.

Anyone seen a good idea of how to put fittings into the end of the existing fuel rail. I've extended the 3 middle ones with fuel hose but need to get -6 or 8mm fittings on the ends to connect up like a more conventional rail.

Cheers

Paul.
RdSnake
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by RdSnake »

ptownsin:
that looks awesome!
did you have to space the itb's out to 90 mm?
how did you do it?
how did you take care of the linkages?
ptownsin
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by ptownsin »

Yes they are spaced to 90mm by adding washers between them on longer threaded bars. All as low tech as possible :oops:
The linkages are bent to join up between the pairs but the central link has an extention because I couldn't bend them far enough.
I've done a few hundred miles on them so far and they worked realy well.
I put a feed in the fuel rail between 1 & 2 and a return between 3 & 4 and this seems to work fine with the fuel hose and clips.
I was worried about the small length of the adapters but so far the bodies haven't moved a mm and the jubilee clips are holding them just fine.